An Interesting Idea: An iPod Slot

SilentScope

Limp Gawd
I have just recently aquired a new case to move my old micro-ATX motherboard into. This PC has an inner USB 2.0 port that I never have used. I also have an extra slot that my old DVD Drive will no longer be using.I was going to the faceplate of the case for that slot, and cut a hole in the front of it to the size of about .1 cm larger than the Area of the iPod itself, and then take a old floppy drive, rip out the innards, and then connect the inside USB port to an coiled up iPod connector. I would then fix everything to be tight enough so the iPod could be held firmly inside while being connected to my PC. I have plently of metal working tools to do this, and it sound like fun. Just sharing my thoughts :) It would be like an "iPod Port" in your PC. The iPod would have about 1/4 of it sticking out while plugged in, so I could still take it out with ease.

If you affix your USB cable correctly so you can just pull the thing out, good idea.

that has been done before.. last year HP made a computer and on the top you could put IPod but now i dont see them.

LOCO LAPTOP said:
that has been done before.. last year HP made a computer and on the top you could put IPod but now i dont see them.

Do you mean an iPod dock literally attached to the top of the computer?

Don't they have little latches that you have to push to release the iPod? You gotta find a way to release those, maybe with the floppy drive button or something. Sounds like a cool idea, just make sure you put some rubber molding around the hole so you don't scratch the hell outta your iPod. Good luck, and give us pics when you're done! :cool:

scrawnypaleguy said:
Don't they have little latches that you have to push to release the iPod? You gotta find a way to release those, maybe with the floppy drive button or something. Sounds like a cool idea, just make sure you put some rubber molding around the hole so you don't scratch the hell outta your iPod. Good luck, and give us pics when you're done! :cool:

Those latches never worked in the first place, they were too weak.

I remember the screensavers doing something similar for a PDA.
Sounds like a fun project. As far as the locking tabs on the connector........... Super Glue :p

I did this a longass time ago with my handspring visor and a spare USB dock. Pulled the electronics out of it and mounted them in a custom 5.25" deal. I cut a bay cover just big enough for the visor to slide in and make contact with the dock. It was pretty damn cool. And I modded everything to allow the visor to recharge its batteries when it was docked. Unfortunately I never took any pictures of it, and it is long gone. :(

LOCO LAPTOP said:

I actually bought one of those, but don't use the case anymore (it's micro-atx). I don't have an ipod, so I can't really tell you if it's any good, but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.

case.gif

Back