analog TV-out on a widescreen TV

TheMostWantedPolishTwin

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm thinking about getting a widescreen TV for my college apartment so I can watch movies, TV shows, sporting events (big v-ball fan :D ). It might be stupid question but so far I had no experience with widescreen TVs... what I wanted to know is if a basic GeForce/ ATI Radeon with analog TVout can output a widescreen resolution on a TV?

S-video (tv-out on the back of cards) will not get you much on a widescreen (high-def?) tv. But the tv may have vga, dvi, or hdmi in which will allow you to hook up your computer to the tv nicely. The radeon, if new enough will work with a component adpater ($15 on ebay) to hook up to the component plugs which the tv will most certainly have and this connection can also carry a high-def signal.

It depends on what tv your going to get the best way to hook it up.

thx djskankho for the reply... unfortunaltelly I won't be getting a HDTV capable TV anytime soon. I guess I'll just get a regular 4:3 TV instead of a widescreen...

ohhh, you're in poland. I'm not sure we have widescreen non-hdtvs here in the us. Maybe someone else from Europe can give u a better answer.

heh.. yeah - I'm stuck here in Poland at least for another year - to get my masters degree ;)
Non-HDTV widescreen TVs are available here - and that's the kind of TV I was thinking about getting... the question was if the vid card can output a widescreen resolution (I know it can output 800x600, but don't know about any widescreen res).

circuit city had some nice samsung hdtv specials a while back (though i think they got rid of the good models)

i got my 27" hdtv with built in hdtv tuner, for 485$!!!

first i purchased it for 575 (regularly about 650-750 elsewhere).... over the net with a internet special. when i went to the store they said they were moving the tvs and would rather have them sold. so they let me try out all the tvs on display and i picked out the same model i had originaly wanted (though i was reccomended widescreen which i honestly dislike compared to 4:3 (not 16:9) tvs for non-widescreen stuff like pre-third gen counsels and non-hd). anywho, they gave me the tv for 485 (the on display price of a different model hehe).

crazy, but i hated circuit city till may

I've never seen HDTV capable crt TV (only plasma) being sold here in Poland... where everything is overpriced and I'm on a really tight budget :p

see if you can find a samsung.

try froogle... search hdtv widescreen and then sort by low price. that way the crt's are cheaper then plasmas and show up first.

A 800x600 crt television shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure it has one of these connectors for a pleasant experience: Component>VGA>DVI/HDMI

Now as previously mentioned, your video card might hold you back depending. What video card will you be using?

Worst case scenario you'll have to pony up for a radeon 9600 + ati component adapter, or a geforce 6200 + hdtv component dongle.

Phillips makes HDTV crt televisions btw, they're reliability is a tad sketchy so only purchase it from a valid phillips reseller.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back