And so it begins....

You must be jkellum that is creeping up on ME and ChasR on the 24hrPPD.

Nice! But we dont intend to give up the Top 2 spots in the Folding world without a fight.

Holy Cow. 60K from all 8 GTX 280's. That's simply amazing

785W with 1000W is not good at all. I think that you should get a second PSU to ease up the stress on the PSU.
Do not leave the system running while you are not at home!!!
Your system is new and the PSU is under a lot of stress, it can catch a fire.

785W with 1000W is not good at all. I think that you should get a second PSU to ease up the stress on the PSU.

I hear you!

However the PSU is running cool like ice. I've tried everything imaginable. I've setup 2 of the GPU's on a different rail, different PSU alltogether, but no matter what, with 2x 280GTX's the 1000W CoolerMaster PSU starts oscillating like it's no tomorrow..

Might be it has a poorly isolated transformer, and this shouldn't cause any danger - however, I'm not willing to be my house on it lol :D

You must be jkellum that is creeping up on ME and ChasR on the 24hrPPD.

Nice! But we dont intend to give up the Top 2 spots in the Folding world without a fight.

nitteo, jkellum is not the same as tedkj so expect 2 people to creep up on you actually :eek:

I'll have to agree with everyone else... holy fucking shit :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This would trounce that 4x9800GX2 super computer those European guys made awhile back.

You'se definitely da' man tedjk, between you and FLECOM (and all the rest of [H]orde folders) all I can hear are "sobs" coming from the competition :D

FOLD ON

This is definitely the year of [H]Mowed|Over membership. I seriously need to get me a GPU or two just to keep the tire tracks to a minimum. It used to be 5k PPD would keep your threat list clear, now you need 10k PPD just to keep it from filling up! :eek:

Thanks guys!

I'm pumping out 69k PpD as of now, closing the 66k PpD gap from OCAU (yesterday). However, I won't have time to get a new PSU for the 35k box, and I doubt I'll have the balls to leave it on with the oscillating PSU while I'm on vacation ;)

He said 785W from the socket, wall socket? Hard said no less than 83% efficiency in that power range, (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2NSw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==) but that was at 120V. He mentioned 220V fans, so I'm thinking he's not in the US and instead in Australia, EU that uses 220V ac mains. That means even higher efficiency.

So 785W * 0.83 = 651W that the power supply is having to deliver. That PSU is not even breaking a sweat IMO.

Sounds to me, with the oscillation description. Is that the fan speed or something? May just be a bad power supply in need of an RMA.

He said 785W from the socket, wall socket? Hard said no less than 83% efficiency in that power range, (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2NSw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==) but that was at 120V. He mentioned 220V fans, so I'm thinking he's not in the US and instead in Australia, EU that uses 220V ac mains. That means even higher efficiency.

So 785W * 0.83 = 651W that the power supply is having to deliver. That PSU is not even breaking a sweat IMO.

Norway here!

I'd have to agree on the PSU, it's cool as ice still, and that's with those monsters right next to it. However with the oscillation I'll have to shut it off when I take off.. grrr! :mad:

Make a thread on the PSU sub-forum about that and see if a expert can chime about that (Paul_Johnson or jonnyGURU).

ergh. Bad cap maybe? They do make PSU's made to power just your graphics cards. Might be worth looking into...

I mean the PSU is making some truly ugly and spineshattering piezo-electric noise with 2 or more GPU's online. :/

Both my video cards make a similar noise when under full load. I can get rid of the noise by reducing the overclock but it's not worth the hit in PPD.

I get the same thing with exceptionally high OCs on my 8800 GTXs. Not much to be done about it, unfortunately.

Also, plenty of others have already said it, but: holy crap, man! Very impressive.

Again, does anyone have any clean shorts?

Third time I changed today, every time I look at the pile of 280s pic I crap myself :D

Holy crap. My 8800GT (with 25% OC) puts out maybe 4000 PPD, which is double my Q6600. My farm of crappers put out 500-1000 ppd. In two weeks this system would produce more than I did in the past 8 years. Just wow.

And jkellum just trampled me this morning.

I sent word onto steve for some front page pimpage this morning. You made it!

Now I'm going to have to pick my jaw off the floor.

Both my video cards make a similar noise when under full load. I can get rid of the noise by reducing the overclock but it's not worth the hit in PPD.

Aye, I get that too on these 280's and my old one which died on me. However this is in another league dB-wise. It really is loud and comming from the PSU. :eek:

I sent word onto steve for some front page pimpage this morning. You made it!

Now I'm going to have to pick my jaw off the floor.

w00t! Thanks Kendrak! Let's hope it'll bring us some new folders! :D

http://www.hardocp.com/

We are on the front page. Go check it out!

WOOT!

p.s. to all of you Hard OCP'ers that are new to folding, or don't know what or why it is... stick around! hang out in the DC sub-forum and ask some questions. We are, for the most part, a friendly bunch! Trying to slay the beast (kill cancer and other nasty diseases)!

You have a new quad core computer, right?

You have a kick ass graphics card, right?

You have a Sony PS3, right?

Well... put them to some good use! Get them folding! For team Hard OCP, of course! Team #33 is the number one Team in the world!

Glad my pm to Steve worked as well (I guess a few of us pmed him for some FPP) so congratulation. I bet the shorts manufacturer will make a lot of bucks today !

Glad my pm to Steve worked as well (I guess a few of us pmed him for some FPP) so congratulation. I bet the shorts manufacturer will make a lot of bucks today !

I'm glad a few of us pepperd his inbox so it made it to the front page :cool:

oh my goodness.....

8 GTX280s.

for folding.

I have nothing else to say

Heading off to pick up a 7-pack later tonight. :eek:

OP, just as others have said... wowowowow! Daggone fine production there! Also, hope you like those new XFX cards... hope you can get the cash back offer down, too :cool:

I Fold for another team, but I must give kudos. Very nice setup there. I'm sitting at just over 20k ppd right now, and I must say, I'm impressed.

tedkj, I know what you mean about the buzz/whistle. I had a PC Power and Cooling 750 watt PSU that did the same thing on ONLY ONE 8800GTS 640. I could definitely hear it when I was running ATITool for artifact testing during overclocking. Of course I have a ton of hard drives pegging the 12v rail as well, but it was nowhere near maxxing it out.

I ended up buying a replacement, and the whistle was gone. Three things I noticed while I had it:

1. The more I overclocked the worse it got, even though it wasn't a huge difference in load on the PSU.
2. ATITool was the best way to test for the noise. The spinning cube produced a variable pitch that was much easier to detect. This is how I identified that the problem was absent in the replacement.
3. There was never a problem with normal operation, even normal gaming, that I noticed. Only when running Folding@Home or ATITool, stressing out the card.
Funny thing is that the PSU had only one massive 12v rail, and I originally thought that was the source of the problem. Nice to know it's not just that.

Oh, and by the way, you're 5 places behind me right now, and about to blow past me like I'm standing still. Congratulations on the setup. I was wondering what you had changed, considering I just passed you a few days ago.

-Olmec (MGMCCALLEY on F@H)

Can someone put this in perspective?
How does a single GTX 280 compare to a Q6600?

Can someone put this in perspective?
How does a single GTX 280 compare to a Q6600?

Depending on the OC that you run on them.....

Q6600 is good for 4k points with a decent OC

A GTX 280 is good for 8k or so points with the shaders upped.

(this is what I remember and anyone is welcome to update my figures)

The nice thing is when you put a 280/260 in a box with a quad so you can fun the SMP and the GPU clients :cool:

tedkj, I know what you mean about the buzz/whistle. I had a PC Power and Cooling 750 watt PSU that did the same thing on ONLY ONE 8800GTS 640. I could definitely hear it when I was running ATITool for artifact testing during overclocking. Of course I have a ton of hard drives pegging the 12v rail as well, but it was nowhere near maxxing it out.

I ended up buying a replacement, and the whistle was gone. Three things I noticed while I had it:

1. The more I overclocked the worse it got, even though it wasn't a huge difference in load on the PSU.
2. ATITool was the best way to test for the noise. The spinning cube produced a variable pitch that was much easier to detect. This is how I identified that the problem was absent in the replacement.
3. There was never a problem with normal operation, even normal gaming, that I noticed. Only when running Folding@Home or ATITool, stressing out the card.
Funny thing is that the PSU had only one massive 12v rail, and I originally thought that was the source of the problem. Nice to know it's not just that.

Oh, and by the way, you're 5 places behind me right now, and about to blow past me like I'm standing still. Congratulations on the setup. I was wondering what you had changed, considering I just passed you a few days ago.

-Olmec (MGMCCALLEY on F@H)

I've run in to this, but the source of the sound has always been the GPUs, not the PSU.

Back