Android 2.1 ever be rooted?

FerraraZ

Gawd
Would love to be able to get access to set cpu and other such stuff but I updated my droid to 2.1. I guess I'll have to pay for the apps I want right!

It has been rooted for a long time...

xda-developers.com
droidforums.net

etc and etc..

It has been rooted for a long time...

xda-developers.com
droidforums.net

etc and etc..

2.1 itself has NOT been rooted. However, because we have access to the 2.0.1 SBF files you can flash the rootable 2.0.1 recovery files back to the Droid. Then you root that and install 2.1 ROMs or whatever. So you have a rooted 2.1 installed but 2.1 itself is not what gave root access. ;)

Motorola closed the hole in the recovery files that allowed Droid to be originally rooted with the 2.1 release.

Read this and follow the instructions from the link in order to be able to "root" 2.1.

http://droidmod.org/android/2-1-sp-recovery-sbf/

I had the 2.1 update installed on my Droid, and was disappointed with it. I flashed it back to 2.0.1, and rooted it. It was easy to flash the old version and root it. Plus the ability to overclock is [H]ard. ;)

The Nexus 2.1 has been rooted, they're working on the Droid 2.1. Looks like the Eris and Hero 2.1 will be coming out with root support as well.

The Nexus 2.1 has been rooted, they're working on the Droid 2.1. Looks like the Eris and Hero 2.1 will be coming out with root support as well.

Where is the information that they're working on Droid 2.1? Everything I read all states the same: Nobody interested in rooting 2.1 because we can just flash the SBF.

This is great information. Do you guys think I should do it? If per say I want to sell the phone or need warranty repairs, is it possible to revert back to its original state?

Sorry didnt realize how dumb a question it was until I posted. This whole rooting business seems daunting compared to jailbreaking an iphone.

Sorry didnt realize how dumb a question it was until I posted. This whole rooting business seems daunting compared to jailbreaking an iphone.

Not a dumb question. Difference with jailbreaking iPhone is Apple closes the holes that allow jailbreaking with every update forcing people to jailbreak again and find a new way to jailbreak. Motorola closed hole for root but we can backtrack and get it anyways so why not keep using it versus finding something we don't need?

So I've followed that guide and got root access. Only problem is I haven't gotten busybox to work. Do I need busybox in order to load up custom ROMS (Cyanogen) and run root required apps?

So I'm all rooted!!!!!!!!

Now.....what do I do haha. I am using Cyanogen Mod Rom and love it, may try some others out but for now this is good.

What are some root apps I need to get? How can I make the phone faster and save battery!

So I'm all rooted!!!!!!!!

Now.....what do I do haha. I am using Cyanogen Mod Rom and love it, may try some others out but for now this is good.

What are some root apps I need to get? How can I make the phone faster and save battery!

Just purchase SetCPU from the Android Market (a whole 99 cents but worth every penny). Then set the profiles. That will give you speed and save battery life.

Refer to this thread for other profiles for rooted phones.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1507023

2.1 will get rooted but 2.2 is on the horizon for next month with some key feature upgrades so I'm just going to wait even longer lol

JIT compiler
Free additional RAM
OpenGL ES 2.0 enhancements
Flash 10.1 support
Fixed problem with “crazy screen” / Resolution of cross multitouch
Activation of Color Trackball
Enable FM radio

2.1 will get rooted but 2.2 is on the horizon for next month with some key feature upgrades so I'm just going to wait even longer lol

JIT compiler
Free additional RAM
Flash 10.1 support
Enable FM radio

a lot of this stuff is already making its way into the 2.1 roms floating around xda. loaded up a version for the hero and holy hell is it fast. can over clock the cpu in the hero from 528 up to 700+

JIT compiler
Free additional RAM
Flash 10.1 support
Enable FM radio

The RAM is already enabled in cyanogen, just like the color trackball options. I would bet that the other additions will be made available quite a while before the official update is pushed to users.

Back