Android 3.0 preview in progress...

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
http://www.youtube.com/android (EDIT: See this post below for info)

I gotta say, just a few minutes into this, I am 100% confident that Android 3.0 is going to overtake everything. Google is getting it right, unlike everybody else. Apple... you've got a lot of catching up to do. ;)

Pretty damned amazing. I'm going to guess they'll offer this as a repeat when the event is done so, if you're not interested in catching it in progress (about 12 minutes in as of this post), it'll be available to watch later.

Absolutely stunning considering the guy is doing the demos live on a device that's not even out yet - I'm going to guess it's some dual core pre-production tablet. It does have a slight lag in some aspects, but all this stuff is in heavy development and will surely get faster and faster as time goes by.

The demos loading the apps like YouTube's "video wall" and the book page turning... it's simply beautiful stuff, and it's where we're going. The music app is GORGEOUS, I swear... ;)

Definitely a must-watch if you care about mobility and tablets and what's coming.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/android

I gotta say, just a few minutes into this, I am 100% confident that Android 3.0 is going to overtake everything. Google is getting it right, unlike everybody else. Apple... you've got a lot of catching up to do. ;)

Pretty damned amazing. I'm going to guess they'll offer this as a repeat when the event is done so, if you're not interested in catching it in progress (about 12 minutes in as of this post), it'll be available to watch later.

Absolutely stunning considering the guy is doing the demos live on a device that's not even out yet - I'm going to guess it's some dual core pre-production tablet. It does have a slight lag in some aspects, but all this stuff is in heavy development and will surely get faster and faster as time goes by.

The demos loading the apps like YouTube's "video wall" and the book page turning... it's simply beautiful stuff, and it's where we're going. The music app is GORGEOUS, I swear... ;)

Definitely a must-watch if you care about mobility and tablets and what's coming.

I'm sure millions of i-pad owners will beg to differ.

Still. I'm impressed with honeycomb. Certainly a huge upgrade over gingerbread, and a must for an android tablet.

BTW tegra2 slates have been ready since late last year. They aren't out yet because of honeycomb, and actually there are a few models out with gingerbread.
The demo unit is a motorola Xoom, an ARM9 dual core Tegra 2 based tablet.
Hardly pre-production, (at least hardware wise).

Kind of odd that honeycomb announcement still doesn't appear in android page.

Attractive, nothing new in that video. Don't Google Maps and Street View already work on Android?

The video at the link is not the stuff shown at this morning's presentation - I'm hoping they do show that video at some point (probably encoding it at this time, at least that's what I'm expecting).

The presentation went into a lot more functionality and background info, showing off stuff that has yet to be seen (and not that video that's been floating around for some time now and is still what's coming up at that link). The event this morning was streamed live at the same URL, just for the record.

All I see is duplication of functionality already in existing platforms...welcome to last year I guess, Android?

Troll much?

I'm dead serious. Name three groundbreaking new day-to-day features they showed that will define the next generating of tablet functionality. It doesn't have any, all the video showed was flashy YouTube video flipping, 3D maps (as if we needed any more 3D crap), and "tablet-optimized" versions of apps that should have been made resolution-independent in the first place. Such things make for a nice "oohh, ahhh" at CES, but no one cares after that.

I realize Android is the new rallying point for open source fans, and will gladly admit it's the only good consumer product ever to come of Linux, but let's not pretend it's breaking new ground here.

Back