Android Netflix app review on a Droid 1, rooted Nook Color

pojut

Gawd
Originally posted here.

At long last, Netflix is available for Android on the official Android Market…and with the recent removal of device checks in the app, you can now (in theory) use it on any Android device running Froyo or higher. Today, we’re going to take a brief look at how well the app functions on two devices, one officially supported and one not officially supported: my Droid 1, and my wife’s rooted Nook Color.

The app

droid-1-netflix1.jpg

The interface for the Android Netflix app is almost identical to the iOS app, minus a couple of changes for the hardware buttons that most Android devices have. You’re given access to everything you could possibly want: queue management, search, browsing, instant streaming…you name it, it’s here. I’d like to see the navigation get a bit snappier in an update, but other than that, the app is darn near perfect (at least on our two devices).

Performance on a Droid 1

droid-1-mst3k-netflix.jpg

For reference, my Droid 1 is rooted, and as of this writing runs Liquid Gingerbread v1.7, which is of the 2.3.3 variety. Kernel version is 2.6.32.9_rMod_250-1100_. The mod version is liquid.sholes.20110424.162004, with a baseband version of C_01.43.01P. My min/max clock speeds are currently set at 250/900. The phone runs very smoothly, with all animations turned on.

Navigation performance is similar to Brittnie’s vanilla 2nd-gen iPod Touch. Over 3G with only two bars, playback started in under 15 seconds on average. Over 3G with full bars, playback started in just under 10 seconds on average. Connected to our router via Wi-Fi, playback started in as little as 5-6 seconds.

Over 3G, we were able to watch a full episode of MST3K with only two instances of buffering, each lasting less than 2 seconds. The video quality looked excellent, and the audio quality was clear as well. Switching over to Wi-Fi and watching another episode resulted in perfect playback; once the video stream started, it didn’t stop until the episode ended. Jumping around throughout the episode happend quickly as well…over 3G, it never took more than 5 seconds for the buffer to catch up when I went to a random spot later in the episode. Performance was even better over Wi-Fi, as expected.

Performance on a rooted Nook Color

rooted-nook-netflix-app1.jpg

For reference, Brittnie’s Nook Color is rooted, and as of this writing runs GRI40, which is of the 2.3.3 variety. Kernel version is 2.6.29-omap1, with a mod version of CyanogenMod-7.0.3-encore. It runs a little choppy, but I haven’t finished configuring it yet.

Video performance was very similar to what we found on my Droid 1, with one exception: the first minute or so of streaming always resulted in the lowest video quality possible. Eventually, the video quality would snap to a much higher resolution, then continue on with nary a fuss. I don't know if this is just how the app performs on a Nook Color, or if it's because I haven't finished tweaking the ROM install yet, so YMMV.

Unfortunately, the response time on the Nook Color’s display leaves something to be desired, so if you’re watching an action flick with a bunch of quick edits, you’re going to get ghosting. The picture quality itself looks great though, so no worries there. We noticed the sound was a little on the quiet side, and even through headphones, it sounded tinny. Since it sounded great on my Droid 1, we’ve chalked this up to the hardware in the Nook Color, rather than the app. That being said, the sound quality is still more than sufficient for watching a movie in bed.

Wrapup

Honestly, I’m impressed. Getting such a well-functioning Netflix app in the market with only a single prior beta release is pretty awesome. There’s room for improvement, but this is already a solid bit of software. What has your experience with the Netflix Android app been like?

With unlimited data plans going the way of the Dodo, how long will apps like this last? With telcos heading towards 2-4gigs being the max, without selling a kidney, it could get pretty bad.

With unlimited data plans going the way of the Dodo, how long will apps like this last? With telcos heading towards 2-4gigs being the max, without selling a kidney, it could get pretty bad.

Ever heard of WiFi?

I'm not finding this on the market...

Ok, it shows up on my PC when I search the Android market, but nothing on my phone....

It seems as if the device restrictions have NOT been lifted. When I try to download it on my PC, it says that my Mesmerize is not supported and will not allow me to download it. In the market, it says only certain devices are supported.

Last edited:
It won't let me download it on my phone from there either. Keeps saying "Cannot download. The content is not supported on the phone."

Downloaded Astro file manager which has an option to make the browser download any file type.

Not working. Says new version found as soon as I launch it, tries to upgrade, and fails. Read the last page of the post and it seems like other people are having this problem too, so there's a new version of the app.

Last edited:
Ever heard of WiFi?

I'm not finding this on the market...

Ok, it shows up on my PC when I search the Android market, but nothing on my phone....

It seems as if the device restrictions have NOT been lifted. When I try to download it on my PC, it says that my Mesmerize is not supported and will not allow me to download it. In the market, it says only certain devices are supported.

Sure, but at the few places I trust the Wifi enough to connect to it, I have computing/multimedia options superior to my Galaxy S. And to be honest, I do not have wifi access available to me, far more often than I do.

Same here as far as the app store not allowing download. (rooted Galaxy S with stock 2.3 rom). Going to give the direct download a try.

Sure, but at the few places I trust the Wifi enough to connect to it, I have computing/multimedia options superior to my Galaxy S. And to be honest, I do not have wifi access available to me, far more often than I do.

Same here as far as the app store not allowing download. (rooted Galaxy S with stock 2.3 rom). Going to give the direct download a try.

Read my posts, man :rolleyes:

It doesn't work anymore; there's a newer version of the app than the one posted in that link.

Read the last part of my post; it's no longer working. There's a newer version of the app than the one that's had the device checks removed in that post.

You edited your post after I had posted.Initially you were just complaining that you couldn't download it directly to your phone.

The version I linked was updated on 5/31 and I'm sure they'll remove the device check from the newest one at some point.

There are many different places around the Internet stating the device check has been removed from the app in the Android Market. Doesn't mean the app will work on every phone, but you no longer have to do any kind of craziness to get it to work...now it just plain either does or doesn't.

There are many different places around the Internet stating the device check has been removed from the app in the Android Market. Doesn't mean the app will work on every phone, but you no longer have to do any kind of craziness to get it to work...now it just plain either does or doesn't.

Those many different places are wrong. The app doesn't even show up when I search for it; it's clearly blocked from working on my device.

:EDIT: Those places aren't even wrong (except the 2nd one); you just didn't read them. They clearly state that it's been opened up to a couple of new devices, not all of them.

Those many different places are wrong. The app doesn't even show up when I search for it; it's clearly blocked from working on my device.

:EDIT: Those places aren't even wrong (except the 2nd one); you just didn't read them. They clearly state that it's been opened up to a couple of new devices, not all of them.

That's funny, because according to Engadget:

"In addition to adding official support for the aforementioned trio (and of course, some minor bug fixes), the stream king removed a device check that previously blocked unsupported handsets from attempting playback"

It's even in the official changelog:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&hl=en

Click on the "what's new" tab, and look at number 3. "Removed check that prevented attempt to playback on unsupported devices."

Last edited:
That's funny, because according to Engadget:

"In addition to adding official support for the aforementioned trio (and of course, some minor bug fixes), the stream king removed a device check that previously blocked unsupported handsets from attempting playback"

It's even in the official changelog:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&hl=en

Click on the "what's new" tab, and look at number 3. "Removed check that prevented attempt to playback on unsupported devices."

Ok, so they removed the check that makes it so unsupported devices can't play movies, but they made it so that unsupported devices can't download the app at all from the android market. It tells me "This item is not compatible with your device" when I try to download it on my PC, and it doesn't even show up when I search on my phone.

Obviously not true. It tells me "This item is not compatible with your device" when I try to download it on my PC, and it doesn't even show up when I search on my phone.

It not working and it not being true are two completely different things. Even though it may not work on your device, that's not the same thing as not removing the check.

but they made it so that unsupported devices can't download the app at all from the android market.

Are you rooted? It's possible that may have something to do with it. I was able to download it onto my rooted Nook Color from the Market with no problem, and there's no way the Nook Color is an officially supported device.

I downloaded the .apk and installed it on my phone manually, it is an unrooted Droid X w/ the Gingerbread update. It's a pretty neat little app from what I have seen so far, although I get a crappy signal at my house so it had to keep buffering. Frankly I don't see myself using it very often, don't really watch video on my phone...

Only works with froyo right? will work on my phone but not sure about my android 2.1 tablet, anyone tried it?

Back