Android software recommendations

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Looking for the best app for the following:

1. Hotspot App.

2. The best app for centralizing the control of WiFi, BlueTooth, the Data Radio, GPS, etc...

3. Whatever else that's highly recommended.

Oh, and of course I'll be getting the obligatory Angry Birds :) I already have it on my old LG Optimus V. I don't understand the Google Play process well enough yet to know whether I can also put it on this phone without paying for it again.

Oh, and of course I'll be getting the obligatory Angry Birds :) I already have it on my old LG Optimus V. I don't understand the Google Play process well enough yet to know whether I can also put it on this phone without paying for it again.

Yes, you can. Google Play app purchases are tied to the account you're logged into when you make a purchase, not the device. So long as you sign into your new phone with the same Google account your purchases will carry over and you will be able to install the paid app on the new phone.

What's your new phone? GNex?

[EDIT: Aaaah the T-Mobile Galaxy SII (T989)

1. Dunno, I never ever use my phone as a hotspot. Call me crazy but I could blow through my monthly 5GB allowance in no time doing that... lol.

2. TouchWiz should already have hot buttons for WiFi, Bluetooth, etc when you pull down the status bar. For me that's all the 'centralization' I need... If you flash CM10 on the phone you can even customize these buttons to include 3G/4G radio, sync, flashlight, etc. And you can always add the stock Android 'power control' widget to one of your home screens to do this same exact thing. Beyond this there are 'battery saver' apps that will toggle WiFi and 3G/4G for you to help save battery, but I think they're stupid.

3. Depends on your preferences... Angry Turds is a given of course. There are also lots of 'social' games making the rounds now and they can be quite fun. Words with friends, scramble with friends (boggle), hanging with friends, SongPop (a personal favorite). Some of the 3D racing games have gotten quite good as well - Asphalt 6 and 7 are fantastic and only $0.99 in the Play Store last I checked. NFS Shift, Raging Thunder 1 and 2, Dead Trigger, Osmos....

I also like CardioTrainer, it's an app that uses the built-in GPS on your phone in combination with the G-Sensor to act as a pedometer and fitness tracker. It will map your walks and keep track of them so you can see calories burned, distance traveled, speed, etc. It's pretty cool to try and beat your previous day's walk and it's a good motivator for a fatass like me. :)

Last edited:
Looking for the best app for the following:

1. Hotspot App.

2. The best app for centralizing the control of WiFi, BlueTooth, the Data Radio, GPS, etc...

3. Whatever else that's highly recommended.

I like Unlock with WiFi. Automatically turns on/off BT/WiFi/Syncing/etc when I am off my home network, so I don't have to think about it. Also as a bonus you can have it handle locking and unlocking of phone when you're off your home network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...mNvbS5iZW5oaXJhc2hpbWEudW5sb2Nrd2l0aHdpZmkiXQ..

AirDroid
Amazon Appstore
BetterBatteryStats
Grooveshark
Scope (if you want a "hub" for your social media stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks guys !

A question about these third-party ROM's...

If it all goes sideways, can the phone be reset to the factory ROM/Settings?

Thanks guys !

A question about these third-party ROM's...

If it all goes sideways, can the phone be reset to the factory ROM/Settings?

Yes, through a myriad of ways.

One of the first things you do after installing a custom recovery is to make a nandroid backup which is basically a backup of your stock ROM.

If at any time you want to return your phone to a 100% stock setup you would restore your nandroid backup and flash the stock recovery to the phone. Boom, you're back at stock.

Alternatively with it being a Samsung phone you can also do a 1-step flash back to stock via Odin (Samsung's proprietary flashing software on the PC).

For more info on ROMS for your phone, flashing, etc I suggest you start reading here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1332

Enjoy your phone! :)

The other thing I would suggest is getting on the XDA forums.
Here's a good primer for the Galaxy SIII
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1757755

Loads of info on there to make sure you are well prepared. Attention to detail is a must when it comes to custom ROMs. My wife used to be all about stock until she used my phone, which was running CM9 at the time and said, "Give it to me NOW!" So I started getting undressed, but she stopped me and said, "No, that's later give me this Cynamowhatever!" :D

Is there a decrapifier for android ?

You have to root the phone I believe.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bloatware+remover&c=apps

Also before you de-bloat the phone, I would backup the apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup

When you root the phone you can remove whatever apps you don't want, XDA should have a safe list on what to uninstall.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II_Series

Most of the custom ROMs will have the bloat removed.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't realize it was this involved. They really don't want you to delete them, do they :)

Wow, didn't realize it was this involved. They really don't want you to delete them, do they :)

It's honestly not that involved. If you find a ROM that you like, such as CM9/10, it comes pretty clean. That would be my recommendation. MIUI/CM are both good developers that aren't going anywhere and that have great ROMs for a whole bunch of phones/tablets. I am running a version of CM10 on my Skyrocket which is even further stripped.

It's really not that bad at all, it is extremely intimidating when you first root/rom your phone, but once you do it once, you pretty much can do it on any android phone. There are tons of videos all over youtube that give you step by steps on rooting/rom also.

i am using international version of the galaxy s2, and fortunately i don't need any 3rd party app to enable hotspot. the functionality is built in. if you are using the same phone, check under, settings> wireless & network - more... > Tethering and portable hotspot. if you want to turn on and off wifi, bluetooth, gps, simply slide down your notification menu, you will see shortcut icon turn on/off these.

Friend of mine actually works for Noom, the company that makes CardioTrainer. Really neat app, great people.

AirDroid
Amazon Appstore
BetterBatteryStats
Grooveshark
Scope (if you want a "hub" for your social media stuff.

Definitely going to check some of these apps out. I also recommend SwiftKey for a keyboard since I liked the extra functionality. Youmail maybe if you have the desire to set it up, or ability to do it with your carrier. I also use SanDisk Memory Zone to backup my phone to my Dropbox.

Back