Another 8800GT performance preview

I actually have not seen this one yet, and I've been skimming through the likes of [H] and other forums about the GT.

Nice find.

If I bought a GTX or GTS within the last few months I'd be punching myself in the nuts right now.

SLI'ing a GT is looking pretty tempting, for a change.

the power consumption is a little shady though,

why does it say "higher is better" on the left hand side?

im no genius, but i would assume the lower the consumption the better, thats just me

If I bought a GTX or GTS within the last few months I'd be punching myself in the nuts right now.

That's what I'm doing... :D.

im no genius, but i would assume the lower the consumption the better, thats just me

They probably forgot to change the tag when putting the review up :p.

it was probably a graph template and they forgot to change it.

That's what I'm doing... :D.

They probably forgot to change the tag when putting the review up :p.

With a midrange this kickass holding out for the high end model looks tempting too though. :D

Probably can't go wrong either way though I think. I've been dying for a new PC for the last 3 or 4 months, I think the time is nigh.

Do these guys even have a card or is this another wanna be review though? They only showed a single picture which is one of the first leaked ones from a long time ago.

Lets hope this trend of high-performance and low-cost cards builds from here. This is the best video card deal I have seen in years.

GTX for sure (with regards to price vs. performance). GTS maybe, since you can o/c it and it'll probably be the same or close performance to the 8800GT at stock based on that review. The 8800GT can be o/ced too. I'd say that if you have the 640MB 8800GTS, then keep it. If you have the 320MB version, then definitely look into getting the 8800GT. That's what I'm doing. Sold off my 320MB.

I want to know how 16 sps can make so big a difference when all the other specs are gimped vs. the GTS. It's almost as fast as an GTX.

I want to know how 16 sps can make so big a difference when all the other specs are gimped vs. the GTS. It's almost as fast as an GTX.

Much higher shader clocks (1500mhz shaders, 2.5x ratio vs. ROP clock instead of 2.3x), and a higher ROP clock. The memory bandwidth never made a huge difference for the G80 series, as could be seen by the minimal gains from overcocking memory on them and minimal losses by underclocking the RAM. It's not gimped ;).

I think its safe to assume thats a simple mistake, as all the other graphs are "Higher is better" and they forgot to change it for power consumption. :rolleyes:

Transporter, do you own / work for bootdaily.com? If not you need to remove those images from your posts in this thread. You're stealing bandwidth and hotlinking without permission both of which are against the [H]ardForum user agreement.

Aside from that these are definately interesting and provide more proof that the GT is going to be one hell of a bang for your buck card.

Transporter, do you own / work for bootdaily.com? If not you need to remove those images from your posts in this thread. You're stealing bandwidth and hotlinking without permission both of which are against the [H]ardForum user agreement.

Aside from that these are definately interesting and provide more proof that the GT is going to be one hell of a bang for your buck card.

Yeah, on both counts (I mod-alerted it a few minutes after his post, but *shrug*).

3dmark06-fillrate.png

yes it has less bandwidth, yes it has less memory, yes it has less pixel fillrate. But it makes up for it with 16 more stream processors, but mainly, RAW texture fillrate as can be seen above. except in a few cases, it beats the 640 MB GTS even at extreme resolutions

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=482&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=4

I usually play at 1680x1050 resolution. How can there only be like a 3 fps difference when the 8800gt only has 256bit memory bus versus the gtx's 384bit? Im sure there would be a much greater difference since mine is running at 630/2000 on 384bit memory bus. Can someone explain?

Yeah I'm officially using my step up for this card.

When does eVGA usually put new cards up for the step up program?

I've got like... 15 days left on mine.

Just removed them. Didn't know. Thanks for the heads up.

[IMG*]http://www.elitebastards.com/hanners/asus/en8800gt/charts/3dmark06-fillrate.png[/IMG]

yes it has less bandwidth, yes it has less memory, yes it has less pixel fillrate. But it makes up for it with 16 more stream processors, but mainly, RAW texture fillrate as can be seen above. except in a few cases, it beats the 640 MB GTS even at extreme resolutions

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=482&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=4

Looks like it will have problems with AA and Crysis though:

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=482&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=5

And don't hotlink ffs.

Lets hope this trend of high-performance and low-cost cards builds from here. This is the best video card deal I have seen in years.

Makes you wonder what their next high end will be capable of if they can comfortably sell such a powerful card at this price point. Their new 5-600$ card would have to be considerably better.

Looks like it will have problems with AA and Crysis though:

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/in...sk=view&id=482&Itemid=27&limit=1&limitstart=5

And don't hotlink ffs.

True, but if you take into account that you start turning up AA and AF that high, it will cripple anything now. 20fps for the GTS*

The GT does well with AA and AF in other games and comes out ahead in some.

Crysis is just overload for everything... :rolleyes:

Welcome to a few hours ago :p

20-30fps is pretty playable in Crysis, that's what I get with my GTS OC'd with 8xCSAA/16AF. If I turn off AA then I get a boost up to 30-45+fps. Granted this is at 1280x1024 but the comparison is the same.

impressive..
most impressive.

Clearly, like Intel, NVidia is in no hurry to launch being that there is no real competition. Ahhh I miss the days of heated CPU/GPU competition that kept prices low and performance high. /nostalgia
Still I'm not trading up on my 7800 until I see the 9xxx reviews.

Back