Another Accelero S1 & 8800GT Owner!

I JUST received my step-up 8800GT from eVGA (including free Quake Wars). On the same day, I received my ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 VGA Cooler from Newegg! It was a nice suprise to get both packages on the same day.

Anyway, after work... then after attending my girlfriend's daughter's 8th grade orchestra concert (omg, they were awful. Don;t tell them I said so though!), you could imgaine my anticipation to get back home and actually open my packages!

I was suprised how LIGHT the ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 was. It's also quite tall. Installation of the cooler itself was a snap, but the 8 ramsinks it came with were trouble some to install. The double stick tape SUCKS if there is is even a trace of thermal pad residue or even fingerprint oil. I highly recommend a TIM cleaner, as rubbing alcohol wasn't quite up to snuff.

There isn't any sinks for the mosfets, but I'll figure out something this weekend. Right now, they are bare.

I didn't opt for the twin fan module ($8) because I already had a Aznex Bliztorm slot cooler (dual 70mm fan and blower).

During the install, I played more with cleaning the card and sticking on the damn ramsinks than the actual install of the cooler itself. I'm still worried that the ramsink will fall off, but if they did, the cooler itself would catch them. It would fall on any circuit board.

The surface of the copper base of the cooler is really really bad.. It looks as if someone took 200 grit paper and just went to town on it. I had some 300/600/1500 paper left over from my cpu HSF lap. Because you can't lay the cooler on a flat surface, I just lightly used the 600 then 1500 to get a light buff, spending about 5 minutes total lapping the surface by hand. It was better, but not totally reflective.

For TIM, I used Artic Ceramique.

The 8800GT card is the reference clocks (this was step-up card). RivaTuner reported the reference speed (no luck in getting one of those suprise OC cards in the box).

So of course, the first thing I do is OC the card. I set the clock/shader/memory to SSC (yeah, I didn't let the tim cure). Stable through 3dmark06. So I'm working my way up the clocks and running 3dMark06 until I get to 725/1760/1000, all the while checking RivaTuner monitor in the background.

With my final OC clocks, here are the results.
Q6600 (B3) @ 3.6GHz
8800GT 512 725/1760/1000
Aznex Bliztorm (50% blower / 100% fan) <- Inaudible! Thing is quiet.
3dMark06 = 15,113
Ambient Room Temperature: 21C
IDLE: 26C
LOAD: 36C

Pretty damn impressive:

IDLE:
Card_Temp_idle.jpg

LOAD:
Card_Temp_load.jpg

Back