Another Accelero S1 success....whoa...

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Idle temps dropped 19c alone, from ~57c to 38c, and load temps, well, even bigger improvement!!! Used to load ~77c and now at full load, anything I toss at it, it runs ~52c, thats a huge 25c drop in load temps!!!....this is on a moderately overclocked 8800GT in a quite case that uses a single slow speed 120mm exhaust and intake 92mm fan.

What a great freaking deal for 25 bucks.....

Idle temps dropped 19c alone, from ~57c to 38c, and load temps, well, even bigger improvement!!! Used to load ~77c and now at full load, anything I toss at it, it runs ~52c, thats a huge 25c drop in load temps!!!....this is on a moderately overclocked 8800GT in a quite case that uses a single slow speed 120mm exhaust and intake 92mm fan.

What a great freaking deal for 25 bucks.....

So is this passive? Or did you use the turbo module? And...does it come with the turbo module? Or is that separate?

I was thinking about getting one, but what I notice is I don't even play any games right now, and don't have any need to overclock my card, I could underclock it for all I care. But I've been on the fence about this thing for sooo long.

Waiting it out, will see if I step up to a 9800 GTX if it will be worth it (up from 8800 GTS g92)

I've seen results in the forums when using it passive, but then hardocp did their gpu heatsink roundup review and it did fairly bad in passive. Although it was the best passive cooler they tested, it only appeared to be reliable when the fans were attatched. I believe they used minimal case ciculation in the review, so if you have good case cooling it will probably work decent in passive, otherwise you need to attatch the fans (3 slots total).

The S1 and S1 rev2 does not come with the turbo module (fans), that is sold seperately for about $8. With the turbo module it is still the best price:performance.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1OSwxLCxoZW50aGlzdWFzdA==

The problem with my 8800 GT is.. I get a pretty good overclock because I can factory over-volt it via jumper.

If I leave it at stock voltage, my temps are fairly decent with the Zalman-like copper heatpipe hitting exactly 70c at peak load, which I can live with, but with the overvolt, i'll get load temps of about 85c. I guess that's the price you pay for 740 core and 1800 shader speeds.

So my dilemma is, do I spend an extra 40 bucks on something that might not keep my over-volted load temps down...considering the stock HSF is an after-market type cooler, anyway?

I was thinking about something like a Zalman VF900 Cu, but that looks just like the cooler I have on it already. It's a Coolermaster and i'm sure it's a Zalman VF900 imitator but how much worse can it be?

I don't want a massive loud HSF, either...

So is this passive? Or did you use the turbo module? And...does it come with the turbo module? Or is that separate?

OOPs...yeah I am using the turbo module....it's great, a bit weird to get installed....the clips seem a hair too short...but I gave it a bit of...persuasion...went right on then.

I can't even tell it makes any noise. The hard drive is louder!

The problem with my 8800 GT is.. I get a pretty good overclock because I can factory over-volt it via jumper.

If I leave it at stock voltage, my temps are fairly decent with the Zalman-like copper heatpipe hitting exactly 70c at peak load, which I can live with, but with the overvolt, i'll get load temps of about 85c. I guess that's the price you pay for 740 core and 1800 shader speeds.

So my dilemma is, do I spend an extra 40 bucks on something that might not keep my over-volted load temps down...considering the stock HSF is an after-market type cooler, anyway?

I was thinking about something like a Zalman VF900 Cu, but that looks just like the cooler I have on it already. It's a Coolermaster and i'm sure it's a Zalman VF900 imitator but how much worse can it be?

I don't want a massive loud HSF, either...

You will really benefit from the Accelero S1 with only a 68CFM 21dB 120mm fan even!
My GT is clocked to 1760/1890 rock stable with a 1.1V BIOS mod, temps dont exceed 49C load (ambient room temp around 20C).
I have slow but silent case fans so my case air movement isnt stellar but I do have a fan blowing air from the vacant PCI slots into the PC towards the S1 heatsink.

You will really benefit from the Accelero S1 with only a 68CFM 21dB 120mm fan even!
My GT is clocked to 1760/1890 rock stable with a 1.1V BIOS mod, temps dont exceed 49C load (ambient room temp around 20C).
I have slow but silent case fans so my case air movement isnt stellar but I do have a fan blowing air into the vacant PCI slots towards the heatsink.

You know, I'd hate to ask this, but ...if I could see a screenshot of that, I would appreciate it.

I just don't trust people when they tell their temps. I read all these message boards and New Egg reviews on this stuff and some say "this cooler is the best and it lowered my load temps 20C!!!" And then others will say about the same cooler, that it didn't help much over the stock cooler. Honestly, I don't know who to believe. And I don't want to waste 40 bucks on a VGA cooler.... yeech. I hate even thinking about spending money on a VGA cooler.

You know, I'd hate to ask this, but ...if I could see a screenshot of that, I would appreciate it.

I just don't trust people when they tell their temps. I read all these message boards and New Egg reviews on this stuff and some say "this cooler is the best and it lowered my load temps 20C!!!" And then others will say about the same cooler, that it didn't help much over the stock cooler. Honestly, I don't know who to believe. And I don't want to waste 40 bucks on a VGA cooler.... yeech. I hate even thinking about spending money on a VGA cooler.

Yeah sure
This is running rthdribl, the best way I have found to heat my GPU up.
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1656344_rthdribl128800GTAcceleroS1temptest.JPG.html
(the core is set to 760 but seems to clock to 756)
The slight temp dip in the middle is when I disturbed it for a moment.

Max GPU temp after 8 mins was 45C :)
Its still at 45C after 20mins.

Yeah sure
This is running rthdribl, the best way I have found to heat my GPU up.
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1656344_rthdribl128800GTAcceleroS1temptest.JPG.html
(the core is set to 760 but seems to clock to 756)
The slight temp dip in the middle is when I disturbed it for a moment.

Max GPU temp after 8 mins was 45C :)
Its still at 45C after 20mins.

Thank you, Nenu...that does look pretty good. Now if I can only pry that 40 bucks from my wallet. I guess you used AS5, right?

There's another 6 bucks I gotta spend... bah.

np :)
I'm using MX-2 paste as its non conductive.
I damaged a gfx cards ram once by getting Arctic Silver on the memory legs.

Grats! the accelero S1 is indeed a very good GPU cooler, loved it since i slapped it on, dropped my temps by 20 degrees, which is very very impressive =). With the turbo modules of course.

Back