Another Apple Ad Banned

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple is getting quite the track record in the UK isn't it? This is the second iPhone ad to be banned this year for being misleading. This time around, the powers that be decided that Apple’s claims of “really fast” are really misleading. What is misleading? Apparently claiming you can do all this in 30 seconds:

Welcome to the UK where on a packet of salted peanuts we have to have a warning that the product contains nuts just incase someone with a nut allergy buys a pack and dies while eating them.

Welcome to the UK where on a packet of salted peanuts we have to have a warning that the product contains nuts just incase someone with a nut allergy buys a pack and dies while eating them.

LOL, got to give it to the Brits for sticking it to Apple.

Yeah. Give it to the Brits for being ridiculous. But, hey, it's okay, because it isn't so great for Apple! Hoorah!

"Really fast".. Isn't the iPhone known to be really slow due to the sluggish ARM processor they used in combination with a poorly optimized OS? Apple's marketing team needs a reality check..both the one responsible for this and the one that does the stupid I'm a Mac ads.

I'm glad to see somebody out there makes sure that the commericals are not flat out lies.

I'm getting tired of all the commericals on tv that make claims that they can't live up to.

I find nothing wrong with enforcing truth in advertising claims on products and their uses. We should be so lucky as to have this type of public oversight in this country. If that ever happened, then I can tell you with assurance that I will never have to see Billy Mays face ever again because the shit he hawks will die a horrible death.

Oh wait. He's hawking insurance now. Fuck.

Yeah. Give it to the Brits for being ridiculous

The advert misled customers into believing the product was that fast, when it clearly wasn't, what is ridiculous in that?

I guess in your eyes, Nvidia could show an advert for a GPU running crysis at 200FPS with everything set to full, when it could only achieve 50FPS and that would be perfectly fine.

Sounds like a bunch of nerd ragers with a vendetta against Apple. Are other ads in the UK this scrutinized?

Sounds like a bunch of nerd ragers with a vendetta against Apple. Are other ads in the UK this scrutinized?

It's common in the EU to ban bad/misleading ads, are the US just open to BS-ads no matter what? :eek:

The advert misled customers into believing the product was that fast, when it clearly wasn't, what is ridiculous in that?
The ad looks to have been designed to indicate that the iPhone is fast -- faster than the older iPhone -- and not necessarily as fast as they're demonstrating. They never say anything about "the iPhone is as fast as this", they just say it's "really fast".

Your NVIDIA analogy is ridiculous, so I'm not even going to bother touching on it.

Did the ad explicitely say you could do such and such in a certain time or is it just that they showed the phone doing something within the constraints of your average 30-second commercial? If it's the former, fine. If it's the latter, Jeebus! The UK needs to relax... If they want Apple to be truthful then they can't advertise because commercials aren't long enough. LOL

Did the ad explicitely say you could do such and such in a certain time or is it just that they showed the phone doing something within the constraints of your average 30-second commercial? If it's the former, fine. If it's the latter, Jeebus! The UK needs to relax... If they want Apple to be truthful then they can't advertise because commercials aren't long enough. LOL

So you agree, they lied in the ad?

The real question is, CAN the iPhone work that fast? I mean if you had the fastest 3G connection on Earth, can you get the pages to load like that? If you can, then it's just typical advertizing. If not, then it's deceptive.

So you agree, they lied in the ad?

What I'm saying is that 99% of ads are constrained to 30 seconds. I believe that it's Apple's right to show the features of the iPhone in one commercial. I haven't seen the commercial, so I don't know exactly what they did wrong in the UK's eyes, but if it's just showing the features if the iPhone in a 30-second commercial, then the UK needs to relax.

It's common in the EU to ban bad/misleading ads, are the US just open to BS-ads no matter what? :eek:
It's common sense self-regulation here in the States, I guess. We just don't go around blindly assuming that everything depicted in a television commercial is perfectly accurate :)

I'm generally fine with misleading ads, sure. I think stations should be allowed to run essentially whatever advertisements they want no matter how misleading they may be. As a consumer, it's my responsibility to make informed decisions based on actual, hands-on experience with products and not on marketing claims. I don't need any government organization telling me what and what isn't misleading on TV.

What I'm saying is that 99% of ads are constrained to 30 seconds. I believe that it's Apple's right to show the features of the iPhone in one commercial. I haven't seen the commercial, so I don't know exactly what they did wrong in the UK's eyes, but if it's just showing the features if the iPhone in a 30-second commercial, then the UK needs to relax.

There are many better ways to showcase the features of a product without misleading the public. Just watch the advertisement and I think you'll see why Apple has gotten a spanking.

The real question is, CAN the iPhone work that fast? I mean if you had the fastest 3G connection on Earth, can you get the pages to load like that? If you can, then it's just typical advertizing. If not, then it's deceptive.
There've been times when it miraculously works that fast for me, yeah. Other times, even on a 3G connection, it's painfully slow. One thing you have to remember as an iPhone user is that the length of time it takes to execute a given task is incredibly variable. Even on Wi-Fi there's a lot of variability in the amount of time it takes to do certain tasks (for some reason).

So they banned an ad... that does not even air anymore? Or do they still show these old ass iPhone ad's in the UK?

I may be incorrect, but I am pretty sure I've seen iPhone ads here in the States have a small message on the bottom of the commercial that specifically states something along the lines of the the actual time of the activities performed during the Ad can vary. I saw nothing of the like in the UK version and without that I'll praise the British all day long for banning a misleading ad.

In the US we let our people use their own minds to think and detirmine if it's good enough for them.

But anyways, as for this ruling, I'm actually for it, glad Apple finally gets put back into its place after all the negative ms ads.

I may be incorrect, but I am pretty sure I've seen iPhone ads here in the States have a small message on the bottom of the commercial that specifically states something along the lines of the the actual time of the activities performed during the Ad can vary. I saw nothing of the like in the UK version and without that I'll praise the British all day long for banning a misleading ad.

IMO if you have to hide inconsistencies and misconceptions in your small print on the bottom of an ad, you shouldn't be allowed to run the ad.

I love the medical ads which states, "oh in one hour you can get rid of your cough", then on the bottom in fine print it says "may result in live failure, kidney failure, increased risk of cancer, or may be fatal".

Makes perfect sense, if your product doesn't go that quick, at least put a f@cking label or a small print saying that it doesn't go that fast, or all the retards will expect it to do what the advert does and then complain about how it doesn't go as fast as the advert.

I think it should be that way anywhere, if the advert is misleading it shouldn't advertise it doing something it clearly cannot achieve, unless they clearly indicate that what your seeing is purely a demo of it's features and not real time at all.

Can't help that the UK won't stand for BS advertising, just common sense.

IMO if you have to hide inconsistencies and misconceptions in your small print on the bottom of an ad, you shouldn't be allowed to run the ad.

I love the medical ads which states, "oh in one hour you can get rid of your cough", then on the bottom in fine print it says "may result in live failure, kidney failure, increased risk of cancer, or may be fatal".

I like the side effects of death best, can't really call it a side effect when most medical experts would class that as terminal.

Ya rly.

It's also surprising that Apple is allowed to get away with it in the US.

The problem is that apple is used to advertising in North America where nobody does anything about "misleading" (lies) on advertisements.

There've been times when it miraculously works that fast for me, yeah. Other times, even on a 3G connection, it's painfully slow. One thing you have to remember as an iPhone user is that the length of time it takes to execute a given task is incredibly variable. Even on Wi-Fi there's a lot of variability in the amount of time it takes to do certain tasks (for some reason).

I'd say that vast majority of the time it's nowhere near that fast, in my experience over wifi.

Yeah. Give it to the Brits for being ridiculous. But, hey, it's okay, because it isn't so great for Apple! Hoorah!

so you dont mind false advertising and think companies should be able to lie to sell a product :rolleyes:, not just a small fib, but blatent straight out lying.

I think what this thread is lacking is a finite definition of what false advertising actually is. Anybody truly in the know care to fill that in?

I don't have an iPhone but have played around with a couple of them that friends have. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but yeah, this add is a complete lie. Starting up the browser and loading a normal web site like [H] easily takes 30 seconds alone.

Back