Another "can't choose a Z68 board" thread

faugusztin

2[H]4U
Hi,

for start i want to clear something - the only reason why am i considering replacing my Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 for a Z68 board is because i need a secondary graphical output without the aditional heat (this rules out other internal cards or use of two graphical ports on my GTX570) and want something better than my DisplayLink adapter i use right now.

So, i was looking around, and the choices are, well, limited . First, my requirements :
  • Digital graphical outputs - DVI or HDMI, 1920x1080. DVI preferably, but i can use HDMI->DVI adapter or cable.
  • Good OC.
  • Preferably black.
  • ATX
  • Virtu or Synergy doesn't matter to me, i will use both IGP and dedicated graphics card due inability of NVIDIA cards to downclock when you have 2 different monitors or 2 different resolutions on them.

Unfortunately, so far there is no ideal choice :
  • ASUS P8Z68-V - all that blue and white doesn't fit my color scheme. Not available in shops.
  • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO - same as the non-PRO version, some extra features i don't need. On sale for 179,90 €.
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - fits every category, except... OC on P67A-UD4-B3 didn't give me exactly the results i expected, so i'm bit affraid to trust Gigabyte again. Preorders for 147,44 €, with dates of delivery at second week of june.
  • ASROCK Z68 Extreme4 - well, it's ASRock, which is a brand i don't really like/trust. It isn't black like Gigabyte and i don't know about OC potential either. Preorder with 3 day delivery for 169,72 €.
  • MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) - brown PCB , need for aditional 6-pin power to the motherboard . Price isn't low either - preorder with no date for 216,34 €.

And that is pretty much all, if we don't count the blue gigabyte boards. I like the looks of the Gigabyte board, but i have problems trusting Gigabyte after the problems i have with OC on my P67A-UD4-B3. ASUS would be very good choice according to the reviews, except all that blue :(... MSI, i would maybe somehow accept the brown, but the price tag and especially that aditional 6-pin at the most stupid spot on the motherboard pushes this board to the deep bottom in my list.

Only if there would be something like Maximus IV Extreme without NF200 and with Z68. :(

IMHO, they all overclock about the same... If you weren't able to OC that well on the P67A-UD4-B3, chances are your chip won't be able to overclock that well on an Asus board either. What was it that you were having trouble with specifically?

I think the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 is your best bet.

I'm pretty sure it is the board. I had issues with stability at 4.4-4.7GHz - voltage was set to dynamic voltage (1.36V+0.5V), which equals to 1.392V in lower load and 1.38V in high load; QPI/Vtt at 1.2V; System Agent at 0.952V. C5/C6 and Turbo disabled, C1E/EIST enabled. Under load, it sometimes did BSOD, but we talk about the instability in hours range.

I'm pretty sure BSOD at 4.4GHz with these voltage settings is not normal, and especially it is not normal that i have to push nearly 1.4V even for 4.3GHz. This is why i don't trust Gigabyte now.

Just got and installed the P8Z68-V Pro with 2600K and slowly working my way up in speed. Setting at 4.5Ghz using 1.35V (but have not tried to optimize that to lowest voltage) right now. Haven't reach a point where I would say "buy it" or "don't buy it."

I've been hearing there are a LOT of issues with Asus's UEFI boards. How's yours holding up?

No problems thus far. Knock on wood. Such things seem to almost always be true when something is new, such is the price for being on the bleeding edge. This is unusual for me, I usually wait about 6 months before buying in.

So i got a info that Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 will be available in ~ 2 weeks, with price around 150€ (+/- 15€). But i still lean towards ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, only because of negative experiences with P67A-UD4-B3.

I have my eye on the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 as well, but I have a question:

Do the Z68 boards allow you to turn off the IGP in the BIOS? I'm really not interested in the IGP encoding capabilities, I just want a backup GPU that can be totally switched off while I use a discrete card.

It's a good thing the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 is only available in the second week of June.... forces me to ignore the upgrade-bug and wait for some solid Bulldozer info.

But I must say, if H67 supported overclocking, I probably would have bought sandy bridge months ago.
:p

Appears so but I've not tried it. Options for IGPU are:
iGPU
PCI/iGPU
PCI/OCIE (appears typo, i.e. OCIE should be PCIE?)
PCIE/PCI (default)

Back