Another dead card?

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been on my dad's computer ever since my video card died spetacularly back in feb (finally getting around to rmaing it tomorrow). His computer is essentially my old computer with a few different things tossed in (new sound card, hard drive, and cd drives). Lately however, I've been having a TON of trouble with the video card. The card is a BFG 6800GT with the factory overclock on it. The card has always run hot, which I have chalked up to the piss poor factory cooler (double fan model), however even lately it's seemed to be going hotter than normal. Right now it's idling at 63C and usually climbs close to 70C during games, highest i've ever seen it was 72C. The temperature of the card when I had it wasn't that big of an issue because i played in a cool basement room. However, my dad's office is on the top floor of our home and tends to be a bit warm. The unusual weather has caused it to be even warmer still lately. This current problem has happened once before however and I fixed it, but now I cannot seem to. I was just about to start my nightly raid in WoW (I am an avid WoW player, sometimes racking up 10-12 hours on the weekends, more 3d playtime than this computer would see in 2 weeks before I started using it), when the computer crashed and the screen turned to what I would call "shredded colors," basically full screen extreme artifacting. No response from anything, and the sound would continually skip. This happened twice. On the third boot, there was no output to the screen. On the fourth, it got to the XP loading screen, but then switched to no signal isntead of going to the account selection screen. It was at this time I removed the card to use the last of the canned air I had on it, and put it back in. This time, it booted fine, but curiously with no sound (the sound card wasn't even being recognized). Now windows is working fine, however, whenever I go back to boot up WoW, I get the same extreme full screen artifacting. Is the card dead? Or is this a byproduct of the relative humidity, increased playtime, and warmer weather?

Back