Another Doom 3 mods thread

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
I'll keep it short and sweet. I want to know what you guys think and the best/must have mods for Doom 3. I want to play through it again, but apparently it's just old enough it doesn't support 1920x1200 native. Are there any HD mods to look at? I know the duct tape mod, and that's about it.

ah fuck me, guess its time to bring those memories back, last time i played this game was in 2006 AND i still have the original game cds from 2004, motherfucker!! :D

thaaaanks for teh tip sonsonate!!!! :)

By the way, duct tape mods kill the atmosphere for me, I would suggest against them. There is also a smoothed model pack that eliminates the "stop-sign" look of the low-poly models. I can't put in the effort to find the link.

You have to create an autoexec.cfg to play in widescreen resolutions. To get 16:10 and 1920x1200 with the last patch:

Code:
r_mode "-1"
r_aspectRatio "2"
r_customWidth "1920"
r_customHeight "1200"

Good guide on console and custom settings can be found here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_7.html

Do not use the "seta" command unless you want to uninstall and reinstall the game if something gets messed up when you're playing around with the settings. Creating an autoexec.cfg and placing it in the "base" and "d3xp" directories with the straight commands as above is enough for the settings to be applied every time at startup.

To those that asked, no you don't have to do anything except install that mod. Just be careful with the directory -- it's kinda fiddly and adds a new folder by default instead of going directly to the one you pointed it to. Once you get it installed, you might have to mess with the graphical settings to get rid of some graphical corruption caused by Soft Shadows and SSAO -- it's at the bottom under SikkMod Options.

If you get it installed properly, the Doom 3 Absolute HD shortcut will launch with a reddish background instead.

If you have a high refresh rate display (or an HMD), consider picking up Doom 3: BFG instead. It's not really moddable, but it supports refresh rates higher than 60 Hz and tightens up latencies in a few areas at the expense of some occasional compression artifacts and reduced difficulty (more ammo; brightened areas). Otherwise, the original is still probably the one to play.

Creating an autoexec.cfg and placing it in the "base" and "d3xp" directories with the straight commands as above is enough for the settings to be applied every time at startup.
The aforementioned variables are actually implicitly seta: they always persist to your user.cfg (or whatever it is). Setting them once will do the job.

so, i installed the mod, it autodetected everything to ultra, i had only to exit the game and edit the rez (2560x1440) on the DoomConfig.cfg, then i run up the demo and i could not believe my eyes, i was like a dream, impossible, it cant look that good.. started a new game and uh-oh.. trouble, its fucked! aahhgoddamnitt, i knew it! it was too good to be true! but no worries, i found the solution: Sikkmod Options -> disable soft shadows -> and it was fixed!

sooo.. i started a new game and.. seriously, im deeply affected, after seeing the beginning of the game i felt a pressure behind my eye globes, yeah bro, tears man, im not ashamed to say, it is too much.

more later! i will post screens, everything! but its friday and i have business to attend nnnnggh! oh the bfg, omg the cube! when it says "use us!" nnnnghh!! later! later! :)

D4rkn3ss, you mean this is better than Sikkmod + wulfen?

If you have a high refresh rate display (or an HMD), consider picking up Doom 3: BFG instead. It's not really moddable, but it supports refresh rates higher than 60 Hz and tightens up latencies in a few areas at the expense of some occasional compression artifacts and reduced difficulty (more ammo; brightened areas). Otherwise, the original is still probably the one to play.

The aforementioned variables are actually implicitly seta: they always persist to your user.cfg (or whatever it is). Setting them once will do the job.

doom 3 supports high refresh rates just fine.

D4rkn3ss, you mean this is better than Sikkmod + wulfen?

i dont know, cant answer that. the last time i played this game was in 2006. 2004-2006 on a 19" 4:3 sony crt, the only mod that i used in those days was one that enhanced the blood and gore.

i took some screens for you, im still toying with the settings

main menu, you can choose between 16:9 & 16:10 on the main menu

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_07_20_43.jpg

sikkmod options button on the main menu

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_08_10_25.jpg

here i disabled the bloom (i hate bloom)

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_08_19_62.jpg

ssao settings (default is off, still messing with it)

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_08_51_94.jpg

hdr (default settings)

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_09_03_51.jpg

in game (for now, still toying with the settings)

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_16_34_86.jpg

I know it says it's compatible only with the original Doom 3 and that ROE isn't supported... but what about the BFG edition? If it's not compatible with ROE then the BFG edition won't work right? I think I still have the original Doom 3 discs.

i dont know, cant answer that. the last time i played this game was in 2006. 2004-2006 on a 19" 4:3 sony crt, the only mod that i used in those days was one that enhanced the blood and gore.

in game (for now, still toying with the settings)

Doom3_2014_08_11_19_16_34_86.jpg

Please post more screens. Want to see if the characters and weapons / effects are improved at all.

Might be a dumb question, but does this mod work with the BFG edition, or only the original?

EDIT: Went ahead and installed the base game anyway. Mod looks good, but the shadowing/lighting on the faces of the characters looks really funky, like it's either way overblown or you can't even see their face. Might be related to Bloom so maybe I'll turn that off.

Last edited:
Might be a dumb question, but does this mod work with the BFG edition, or only the original?

EDIT: Went ahead and installed the base game anyway. Mod looks good, but the shadowing/lighting on the faces of the characters looks really funky, like it's either way overblown or you can't even see their face. Might be related to Bloom so maybe I'll turn that off.

I loaded it up last week and noticed that the characters/faces all looked really wonky. I also noticed that camera had an awful fisheye effect going on (at 1080p) and at that point I lost interest and uninstalled.

ah fuck me, guess its time to bring those memories back, last time i played this game was in 2006 AND i still have the original game cds from 2004, motherfucker!! :D

thaaaanks for teh tip sonsonate!!!! :)

main menu, you can choose between 16:9 & 16:10 on the main menu

Okay, so I have a stupid question. I downloaded the Doom 3 absoluteHD mod, and it is an exe. By default it wants to install the mod to Program Files(x86)/Doom3 - Since I have D3 on Steam, I would naturally assume I need to repoint it to that D3 folder, correct? I know it's a dumb question, but I didn't know if it was supposed to act as a stand alone or not.

Okay, so I have a stupid question. I downloaded the Doom 3 absoluteHD mod, and it is an exe. By default it wants to install the mod to Program Files(x86)/Doom3 - Since I have D3 on Steam, I would naturally assume I need to repoint it to that D3 folder, correct? I know it's a dumb question, but I didn't know if it was supposed to act as a stand alone or not.

not stupid, youre correct, its not stand alone.

sorry guys, i still didnt started to mess with the settings, i'll see if i can find a sweet spot for those sikkmod options tonight. :)

not stupid, youre correct, its not stand alone.

sorry guys, i still didnt started to mess with the settings, i'll see if i can find a sweet spot for those sikkmod options tonight. :)

Oh cool, thank you!

I still play D3 with sikkmod and the texture mods (wulfen and monoxead)

(these are kind of old - but the game looks amazing on 3 screens with these mods)
pic1
pic2
pic3

Last edited:
Sooooooo I've installed the mod, got it to run properly, but it crashes as soon as I take a few steps forward. It runs like a dream if I stand still...

Sooooooo I've installed the mod, got it to run properly, but it crashes as soon as I take a few steps forward. It runs like a dream if I stand still...

not sure as i have not used absoluteHD... but they say to start with 100% vanilla doom3 and it should just work.. you getting a crash to desktop or freeze or reboot?

Well I just got it installed and the only thing I have noticed is that in some areas there is a film grain effect. Once I figure out how to remove that I'll be golden. It seems stable so far.

Edit: I'm having just as much fun playing with proper PC settings again as I am playing the game! Loving this mod so far!

Last edited:
not sure as i have not used absoluteHD... but they say to start with 100% vanilla doom3 and it should just work.. you getting a crash to desktop or freeze or reboot?

Nah, it was working STABLY before, but I got screen corruption and crazy attifacting. I changed the name of the EXE so AMD's application settings would leave it alone, NOW I get beautiful visuals, but a crash as soon as I take five steps in any direction.

The crash is a hard-lock freeze that requires a ctl+alt+del to escape.

hmmm... maybe drop any video card OC you have? other things you can try moving the gl progs dir... just move it to your desktop or something temporarily to see if disabling POM fixes the issue.. if that works, with my older sikkmod install, you can choose between the types of POM you want to run by changing the file name used for POM inside of the gl progs dir.. if absoluteHD has the same you can try different ones maybe. I need to look at my own install to get more info about the active file name to change.

edit: you should be able to change this inside of the sikkmod options UI in game also.

Well I just got it installed and the only thing I have noticed is that in some areas there is a film grain effect. Once I figure out how to remove that I'll be golden. It seems stable so far.

Edit: I'm having just as much fun playing with proper PC settings again as I am playing the game! Loving this mod so far!

yeah, this game I have come back to and played through twice again with all the mods installed. I might just need to install it on my other rig and see how absoluteHD compares to my mish-mash modded Doom3.. I have about 10 mods installed. I am going to guess it looks about the same. I have sikkmod cranked up very high with 8xAA and AA transparency at like 4x also with wulfens and monoxeads most recent texture mods.. and the HD ui.. and some others. On 3 displays with the lights out and headphones on, it's very immersing. :)

Last edited:
Back