Another e1705 Thread

newdamage1

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to get a few opinons before I pulled the trigger on this E1705.

This is what I am going to get:

Inspiron E1705
Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Audio
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N
6-cell Primary Battery and 9-cell additional Lithium Ion Battery
Warranty and Service 1Yr Ltd Warranty and Mail-In Service
Power Adapter 90 Watt Spare AC Adapter
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
ExpressCard Media Remote for Bluetooth-enabled Notebooks

This is for $1800 TTT and shipped. I did a quite a bit of hunting around and did not find any others that had all of these features for the dollar. Anyone know of better?

Thanks!
Kelly

insperon 9400

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

$1,438

Thanks! I'll look at that one too, thats quite a bit cheaper for what looks to be the same thing..

EDIT: I just ran a build 9400 build that is identical to the e1705 I have above, and it came out $147 more with coupons, tax, and shipping. What coupon code did you use?

DriveEuro said:
$1800? Sheesh, I built my E1705 for just $1200 back in December.

Take a look at dell's website and see if you can build it for cheaper, Keep in mind this is shipped and tax price, It's around $1600 before. Oh and the $1800 price is with a $500 off coupon for "home" consumer's. (I had tried the coupon for the 9400 and received no love.) :)

Could it just be a bad time to buy?

I hate replying so much to my own posts:rolleyes:

Anywho, if I drop all of the extras and down to bare bones only (no Wireless N, One 6cell battery, one charger, no remote or bluetooth) It's $1500 w/ taxes and shipped.

I need the extras, which I imagine most of you would not. But that 1200 you say is nawing at me.....:p

I have that laptop. Its great except if you get the Nvidia card, have fun with the screen screwing up when you do stuff because of the lack of drivers

with 3 year Complete Care?

Nope. 1 year mail in. Never had a problem with the 4 Dells I've had (2x Inspiron 9300, 1x XPS2, 1x E1705)... I just have problems keeping hardware. I always end up selling it thinking that I don't use it enough and that it is wasting money. Besides, I don't ever keep a rig for more than a year anyways :)

I've used mail in with my first emachine laptop. Overnighted me a box, overnighted them the laptop back, they overnighted me a new laptop after one day. Pretty darn quick... though, this isn't dell.

Besides, I don't ever keep a rig for more than a year anyways .

Not me, I keep my laptops forever. I'm using a old Compaq E500 right now, and I have never had to send it back, ofcourese being a Sys Admin, I replace my own parts anyway. (motherboards are a pain!)

I just want to future proof my portable as much as possible seeing that I keep them for so long. Now desktop hardware, that is a VERY different story! ;)

Don't get the memory at Dell. They are raping you for it.

Go with the minimum meory configuration they allow, and go to Newegg and get one of these

Don't get the memory at Dell. They are raping you for it.

Go with the minimum meory configuration they allow, and go to Newegg and get one of these

NO Kidding!! I didn't realize that the 200pin SO DDR dims were so cheap. Heck you can get 4 gigs for the same as dell is charging for 2@667. To bad you can't order it with out ram or cpu or hd or.....:D

NO Kidding!! I didn't realize that the 200pin SO DDR dims were so cheap. Heck you can get 4 gigs for the same as dell is charging for 2@667. To bad you can't order it with out ram or cpu or hd or.....:D

You can get 4GB, but you can't use all of it unless you get 64-bit Vista or XP or Linux.

Yeah, "upgrades" at dell are really money traps. :)

Dell called me after I received my laptop and sold me a 3 year warranty for 90 bucks. I said sure thing.

Get the minumum memory, and the cheapest HD. You can easily upgrade both later, and cheaper, than what Dell wants.

Save on the display also. It'll be pretty hard to really utilize that UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display on a laptop.

You can get 4GB, but you can't use all of it unless you get 64-bit Vista or XP or Linux.

Yeah, "upgrades" at dell are really money traps. :)

Now I am confused. Are you saying that the E1705 can take 4gb of ram instead of the 2gb that Dell says it can? Cause if it does, I will at least upgrade mine to 3gb.

Neither Crucial or Kingston sell 2GB sticks for a 1705, but they will for a 1710. Even the part numbers for 1 GB sticks are different.

Also, from what I've read, no OS on the 1710 can use 4 GB, even Linux, as its a hardware limitation.

Neither Crucial or Kingston sell 2GB sticks for a 1705, but they will for a 1710. Even the part numbers for 1 GB sticks are different.

Also, from what I've read, no OS on the 1710 can use 4 GB, even Linux, as its a hardware limitation.

actually its more of a software limit. a 64bit version of windows can see the whole 4gb

I received my e1705 yesterday from DELL, and she is....well... BIG. Not that heavy compared to my old Compaq e500 (about a half a pound heavier), and still fits on my old HP backpack.

Pros: It runs great. I can have 2 virtual machines running plus Vista, which I'm not sure if I like yet, plus a misallanous work tools (console1, a few RDP's RconJ etc..) and they run flawlessly. Games run great, I have tried Q4, Doom3, and WoW and all run close or at max settings without issue. Oh and the WUXGA+ screen is amazing. People stop and say "WOW" thats a nice laptop. I guess thats a PRO, unless your an introvert.;)

Cons: No built in Mic or vid cam. No real docking station solution and battery life is kinda short (I got 2 85wh batteries so I'm good to go.), but I knew that going in. The keyboard is odd, and really needs a number pad to fill in the miles of real estate that surround it. IMO plan-jane looks. I'm not really into the LED's thing, but lighted keyboard would be sweet.

If I had to do it again, I would beg for the same specs in a 15.4, but that just doesn't exist for the same price point.

my 2c.

that's my only beef with the 17" laptops is that they are very large... to big for me. Also, like you said the keyboard looks so small and out of place with the screen being so wide. They are nice when using them, but if you have to lug it around alot then one with the 15.4" screen is the way to go.

I have the same laptop, T7200 CPU, 2GB ram (shopping for 4GB), 7900GS video, etc. I LOVE this thing. Yeah if you travel a lot it gets luggy (new word), but there's one huge reason to go with the 1705: the video card. You can't get big guns for video in the 1505 (maybe third party), but the 1705 just allows room for the bigger cards. With the 7900GS I can scream around in Flight Simulator 04 at 50+ FPS. The screen is gorgeous, and the 1900x1200 gives me huge real estate when running Photoshop CS2. Yeah, a keypad would have been nice, but I like white space too, and now that I've had this for 6 months, it looks totally normal to me now. Enjoy your powerhouse!

Whoa, I just ordered two Crucial 2GB SODIMMS for my E1705 for $129 each from Amazon (actually Beach Audio):

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Techn...=UTF8&m=A2R0FX412W1BDT&n=172282&s=electronics

This is the lowest I've seen to date. Even Crucial has them for $219 each. Don't search Crucial's site under "E1705" because it won't show 2GB sticks at all (4GB total) since the OS doesn't fully use 4Gb unless you use 64bit OS. But if you look under DDR2 200-pin SODIMM PC2-5300, they're there for $219 each. Amazon's price blows this away. BTW, last December these 2GB sticks were near $800 a piece. Now is the time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back