Another "I need an RTS" thread

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Yup...

so here's the deal.... my friend and I have always enjoyed playing a really old RTS... Star Wars Gallactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns

The issue is it's a really unstable piece of crap, so it's a real pain in the ass to keep a good game going without having to restore the auto save every 15 minutes.

We have yet to find anything that offers the same fun factor and playing style

We were pumped thinking Empires at War would be like an update to the game... but it turned out to be a total abortion. He dislikes CoH (blasphemy)... and I just tried the Dawn of War demo and it was just a re-skinned CoH

Is anyone familiar with Clone Campaigns? What would you suggest to be comparable.

I'm not familiar with that game, but I do recommend C&C3 if you want a fun, fast-paced RTS.

Star Wars Gallactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns is a near clone of Age of Empires II: The Conquerors just so you know. So if you're looking for a similar game that's more stable I'd suggest it.

C&C3 is good.
Warcraft 3 isn't very good just for the pure RTS aspect but the different mods are great.

Age of Empires 2 and 3 would be the closest siblings to Battlegrounds. Rise of Nations / Rise of Legends might also be worth a look.

But really, if he doesn't like Company of Heroes, you need to beat your friend with a pipe wrench until he agrees it's the best RTS of the last few years.

I find World In Conflict ridiculously entertaining, looked into that?

nother vote for C&C 3 + Kanes Wrath ... I find myself playing it alot , an always come back to it!

What would you suggest to be comparable.

Not sure if this is compatible, but you owe it to yourself to dig out a copy of Myth II: Soulblighter (don't bother with Myth III: The Wolf Age...it sucked).

Myth I: The Fallen Lords is also great. All games are RTS but nothing but action packed. No resource management...it's purely a game of tactics. If you want a game where you outmaneuver the other player or seek out terrain for advantage, look no further.

Myth has and will always be my all time favorite strategy game. Nothing comes close to strategy that Myth provides. There is no turtling and no cheap moves and it's not whoever builds the biggest army that will win...it's pure tactical genius.

For current gen you've got SupCom ( >*) and C&C3. SC2 is coming up, but not here yet. Company of Heroes and Rise of Nations are older but still good.

Those are the current crop of grade A games anyway.

Try C&C3. It is a good game. Not sure about the expansion though.

Warcraft 3 is also great but the singleplayer story was crap compared to Warcraft 2's story.

There are good older games like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic series, etc...

On another note, Conquest Frontier Wars is old but is an excellent RTS and I'm sure could be found for 5-10 bucks.

Age of Empires 2 and 3 would be the closest siblings to Battlegrounds. Rise of Nations / Rise of Legends might also be worth a look.

But really, if he doesn't like Company of Heroes, you need to beat your friend with a pipe wrench until he agrees it's the best RTS of the last few years.

I never really got into the DoW and the later CoH style of resource management/acquisition. Otherwise great games.

Sins of the Solar Empire is Great! I really in C and C Kane's Wrath and of course StarCraft 2 but that's month's out. Sins is really fun the games are epic though, not fast paced like C and C

Although not a traditional RTS per se, Sins of a Solar Empire is simply awesome! I've also been playing Black and White 2, which I recommend. Command and Conquer 3 and Rise of Legends are other options you can look at.

Back