Another "I Need Some Headphones" Thread

Alright, I've been looking around here on these forums and a a little on Head-Fi.org for some info on a good pair of cans and my brain is pretty garbled as to what would suit me best. Maybe you guys can help (or make me more confused heh heh) Here's the deal :

- I want to spend around 200 bucks for the headphones themselves. (Not including an amp if necessary)
- I listen to alot of metal. Tight, articulate, stong bass and clean highs are important to me.
- I also would like to use the headphones for gaming AND with my mp3 player. HOWEVER, portability is not really important for me, so don't be afraid to suggest some bigger cans.
- I prefer something black/silver/grey/metal in nature.

I think thats it. Thanks!

Really I was thinking Beyer Dynamics DT770.

Lots of Bass Check
Forward and pronounced Check
Good for Rock / Metal... Check.

grados are nice but I heard they lack in bass... ( the sr-60;s at least) but I also hear others says the bass is just right and nice and punchy.

aZn_plyR said:
grados are nice but I heard they lack in bass... ( the sr-60;s at least) but I also hear others says the bass is just right and nice and punchy.

I don't think they lack in bass. They are quite punchy.

I'd suggest taking a look at headfi.com and headphone.com - both are very informative sites.

I think you're looking for some Grados or Sennheisers...

strid3r said:
I don't think they lack in bass. They are quite punchy.

I think he is stating that they don't seem to go as low as the other cans. Not that they can't pronounce a kick drum, just their extension.

skudmunky said:
I'd suggest taking a look at headfi.com and headphone.com - both are very informative sites.

I think you're looking for some Grados or Sennheisers...

You didn't read the first post did you?
(quoted below)

Alright, I've been looking around here on these forums and a a little on Head-Fi.org for some info on a good pair of cans and my brain is pretty garbled as to what would suit me best.

;)

grados are nice but I heard they lack in bass...

What?
The implication that comes from you saying Grados are nice is that you have actually used them.... but then you say "I heard they lack in bass which" means you haven't. :confused: :p

My vote goes for the Sennheiser HD595s ;)

They are sensitive enough to use with a PDAP
They have nice bass, nice balance, nice impact and they are not to overly detailed.

Mister X said:
You didn't read the first post did you?
(quoted below)

Yeah, I noticed that. I did read the first post... But, looking at headphone.com is also pretty helpfull, it's always nice to have multiple sources.

This forum needs and "oops" smily...

I wish I could afford some 595s, right now I'm saving up for some 497s...

We need an evil smiley to.

A lot of the "I'm messing with you post's" get lost in translation.....
evilgrin.gif

Maybe the smoking evil smiley is better? :D

1devil.gif

Treyshadow said:
I think he is stating that they don't seem to go as low as the other cans. Not that they can't pronounce a kick drum, just their extension.

He could've explained it a bit better. I translated "lack of bass" as a deficiency in the amount of bass.

In any case, if you go for a Grado, I'd recommend also getting the Sennheiser HD414 earpads for them. It makes it a bit more comfortable (tolerable ;) ).

2nd vote for the Beyer DT-770 Pro 80ohm version.

That's the phone that immediately popped into my head when I read your requirements...

HD595 is a good 2nd choice (50ohm version)

I'll second Mister X's suggestion for the Senn 595.

Grado's are nice, but if you need directionality for games (which I noticed was one of the criteria for selection) then you might be more interested in other cans as the Grado (and Alessandros I expect) tend to have compressed soundstages comparatively. However, if you are interested more in music than directionality for games I would suggest looking at the Alessandro MS-2s or the Grado 225s. They'll probably be right up your alley for listening to metal and using for mp3 players and computer sound cards.

I'm torn between the Grado 225's and the Beyerdynamic DT770's. From looking at the reviews of the two of these sets on head-fi.org and from what those have said here, it seems like the Grado's are what I need soundwise, but the Beyerdynamic's have what I need isolation wise and looks wise. Tough decision. I'll probably go with the Grado's though. Where can I get some more comfortable pads for them?

Another vote for the DT770s.. They are also great for gaming. (the bass surely helps) Isolation is great and the soundstage is also excellent. You will get most out of them with an amp though.

I would strongly suggest auditioning the Grados before you buy them.
Pickup the phone book and see if there is a local retailer that offers them.

Thats a pretty good idea. I should probably try out the DT-770's too if I can.

The reason for me starting this post is because I just got in a pair of Ultrasone HFI-700's...I am really not liking them at all. I paid 200 bucks for them and they really don't feel or sound like 200 dollar headphones. They sound really harsh to my ears and just like too much noise. I dunno... hopefully these DT770's or the Grado's will be better.

Cousin Patty said:
They sound really harsh to my ears and just like too much noise. I dunno... hopefully these DT770's or the Grado's will be better.

Harsh in what way? If you're referring to the brightness, Grado's may not be much different...

For example, cymbals and alot of guitar leads or solos. Cymbals sounded . . .harsh . . . i dunno hard on my ears in comparison to just listening to the same song on my speakers or even through some crappy sony earbuds. Solos were not smooth, they were very trill i suppose.

If you are buying the 80 ohm version of the Beyer Dynamics DT770 an amp isn't as necessary as say, buying 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD580's

Now, an amp will appreciably improve the sound quality, but it isn't necessary (unless you are an audiophile ;) )

Yeah I understand the purpose of an amp. I will more than likely be getting one along with whichever headphones I decide on.

Ive got Sennheiser HD 550....I think I paid $100....I listen to alot of rock and roll (old school or "classic" if you will) and I like 'em alot. Crisp and handle bass well. I would guess if you spent even more..... the 550s perform well for gaming too. just 2 cents. :D

Cousin Patty said:
Thats a pretty good idea. I should probably try out the DT-770's too if I can.

The reason for me starting this post is because I just got in a pair of Ultrasone HFI-700's...I am really not liking them at all. I paid 200 bucks for them and they really don't feel or sound like 200 dollar headphones. They sound really harsh to my ears and just like too much noise. I dunno... hopefully these DT770's or the Grado's will be better.

hmm really, i was just going to try out the hfi-650s (basically the same thing). looks like ill just stick with my grado-sr225s

if you can find one thats not coming from china (or you can wait a while), id recommend a little dot amp, the ld micro can be had for about 60.

Yeah man, dont get the ultrasone's. I'm pretty new to the whole 'audiophile' headphone thing or whatever you want to call it. But, I know what sounds good and those HFI-700's were not it. Some things sounded better than others, but for the most part I was not convinced that I spent my 200 dollars wisely.

Back