Another Laptop search! Please help!

sin01

Limp Gawd
Ok, I am used to looking into the newest computers, but right now my friend wants to know a computer to get that isn’t that top of the line, and I was hoping you guys could help me out here.

Criteria:

The display should be between 12 and 14 inches (not below 12, and not 15)
Full sized keyboard
Doesn’t care if the screen is glossy or non glossy
A cd burner, but not necessarily a DVD burner
Doesn’t need a lot of USB ports, no ipod, etc.
The price should be 1500 or less
Doesn’t care if its OSX or Windows (he has had experience with both)
Wants it to at least last 4 years
Barely calls tech support, so quality tech support is not a biggy
Doesn’t care about metal or plastic hinges
Doesn’t want ultra-cheep keyboard, apple keyboards, IBM keyboards are nice, but not necessary. Basically the keyboard needs to be better then the older dell laptops used to have, but as I understand it their newer laptops keyboards are better quality.
Would like to purchase the Laptop within the next two weeks.
Needs to be fast enough to do internet/wi-fi browsing and will be writing papers and talking on aim.
No Gaming
No built in camera necessary
He doesn’t need the computer for advanced purposes
Needs to run Microsoft word on it basically.
Battery needs to be able to run over an hour, but not much more then that.
Doesn’t care about the color.
He doesn’t treat his current laptop very sweetly, I don’t think he has ever cleaned it, so this shouldn’t be a computer that needs to be babied all the time (shouldn’t need to be turned off and not left on for prolonged periods)

I know how hard it is to give advice on a computer without details, so I tried to be thorough. Ask if you need any more specifics. If you don’t have a particular model in mind for purchase, but know of minimum specs required for such a computer, could you post those then? Thank you everyone.

a mackbook with 1GB RAM and a 1.83GHz core duo with a CD-RW (not DVD-RW) and a 60GB cost $1200 add in $100 for an oem copy of windows media centre and it is less than $1300.

I will take both of those into consideration!!! Thank you so much!!

Any other recomendations?

khalidur said:
a mackbook with 1GB RAM and a 1.83GHz core duo with a CD-RW (not DVD-RW) and a 60GB cost $1200 add in $100 for an oem copy of windows media centre and it is less than $1300.

I agree, the Mac book is a powerful note book thats not too hard on the wallet (or the eyes)
You'll also get a bunch of extra features you won't find on a PC.

At under 15" i would look at the Dell E1405 and HP dv2000 probably. Being as he wants it to last a while i would get one with a Core 2 Duo processor in it since it will be faster and have 64-bit support. Even though he won't be gaming i would suggest going with low-end dedicated graphics like at least a Go 7200 or X1300 because Vista may not run well on the Intel 950 integrated graphics. You're not going to find a full sized keyboard on a laptop less then 17" though.

by "full sized" i meant no uber tiny keys like the dell m710 or 700, and some other produces have. For instance Apples powerbooks and ibooks were "full sized".

Back