Another Opteron 170 from Monarch

Plaman

n00b
Just got it! =)

No using it until this weekend at earliest. Could I power a k8n neo 2 plat 2 raptors an x850xt and this thing clocked to 2.75 off a 400w antec? Didn't think so.

382.33 shipped with 6 month warranty i think

erm...yeah you can....

I've got an Opteron 170 @ 2.7Ghz, ASRock 939Dual SATA 2, 3 Sata drives, 1 IDE drive, CD burner, DVD burner, and an X800 XL AGP all running off of 350W...

yeah, Antec makes great PSU's, the wattage doesn't matter as much as the rails, just like a video card having 512 MB doesn't mean S$$$.

Enjoicube said:
yeah, Antec makes great PSU's, the wattage doesn't matter as much as the rails, just like a video card having 512 MB doesn't mean S$$$.
in some games now it does (COD2, Q4 ultra quality, maaybe FEAR (I can't remember). but thats ot.

Rails are definitely the most important part. W/O SLI or crossfire I'm sure 400w is fine.

It's all about the amps baby!

But, if your computer runs fine and you see no problems running on 400w, then there is no reason to replace it. Anything else would be overkill so just try it with teh 400watter, and if it works stick with it and if not upgrade.

I've never had problems with rails or wattage, I've had problems with cooling fans getting clogged and then the darn PSU overheating. :( I've done several fan replacements in PSU's, with mixed results.

I powered a Socket A mainboard, 3 SATA drives, 2 IDE drives, a CD Burner, a DVD Burner, FX 5900, and 9 SCSI drives from a single 350W PSU for the longest time, while overclocking the hell out of my early Barton 2500+ (I don't know how I got it over 2.9 ghz, but I did, ignoring 1.975 volts and 62C load temps). I have never seen so many "Y" splitters before in my life, and I never want to ever again. :(

ok then looks like i'll give it a whirl. What are some things to look out for when the PSU can't handle it? Also how long before i can break the proc in and get it up to like 2.7ghz? Whats the proper break-in procedure?

Plaman said:
ok then looks like i'll give it a whirl. What are some things to look out for when the PSU can't handle it? Also how long before i can break the proc in and get it up to like 2.7ghz? Whats the proper break-in procedure?

I don't know about break in, but when you get the system to boot, check the BIOS to see if it has a page to monitor temperatures/voltages. Just check your rails there, if they aren't low or high, boot into windows, and check the rails in windows again. ;)

Also, if the PSU can't handle it, it'll probably either just reboot, not post, or get hot. :p

you can almost run a crossfire config with a 400W PSU
:rolleyes:

here is what you might want to do.

first install the cpu with artic silver or what not and give it time to cook.
a day should be more than enough i think.
especially if you run a lot of Pi or 3dmark and so on.

you can start playing with the fsb right from the start, but i wouldn't be too hasty.

after a day, start playing with the fsb, HT and multimplier.

23A is pretty low, considering most power-intensive components nowadays draw off the 12V+ rail.

Get this. It's a great PSU, especially for the price.

Enjoicube said:
23 Amps is grat, but I still beat you with my smartpowers dual 12 V rails :D

i am going to get a 510 sli so when i do come around and we'll see how great your smartpower is then.

get the enermax liberty 620w instead. just as good / better, and costs less than the pcp&c. plus it's quiet and modular.

oh its on, load it up and wait until your room gets warm and see how it does PC Power rules

Back