6GB (3X2GB) Gskill DDR3
M-Audio 1010LT
Asus D2X
WD 300gb VelociRaptor
WD 1TB Green
WD 160GB Caviar
2 DVD-RW Drives
Thermaltake 850W Toughpower

All inside a Lian Li PC-101. Right now I'm using an old NEC 17 inch monitor at 1280X1024 but will be upgrading to some sort of a 1900X1200 display. Money isn't an issue but I would like to keep it under $500. Lastly, I'm not up to a dual GPU setup. This system is also used as a recording rig and PCI ports are limited. Should I jump on the 5000 series now with a 5870? Wait for the 300 series from Nvidia? Or wait for the AMD 6000 series?

Because I had been using the 7800GTX for so long I kinda slipped away from it. But I'm looking to play Crysis, Oblivion, L4D 2, Far Cry 2, ect. I play TF2, CS, Half Life 2 quite a bit right now because the GTX plays them very well.

Because I had been using the 7800GTX for so long I kinda slipped away from it. But I'm looking to play Crysis, Oblivion, L4D 2, Far Cry 2, ect. I play TF2, CS, Half Life 2 quite a bit right now because the GTX plays them very well.

If you want the best of the best for a single GPU config. 5870 is the way to go hands down.

The 5850 is another great card....again IF you can find any of them.

If you just want a stopgate video card. I would suggest the 5770 or a 260 gtx.

If you want the best of the best for a single GPU config. 5870 is the way to go hands down.

The 5850 is another great card....again IF you can find any of them.

If you just want a stopgate video card. I would suggest the 5770 or a 260 gtx.

Great advice, both the GTX 260 and the HD5770 are great cards, and will play just about any game you want on nearly max settings, especially on the resolution that you're currently running. It would be interesting to see how the 300 series stacks up and it might be a good idea to wait to spend the big bucks until then.

I'm partial to NVIDIA because the companies that sell them, i believe are just much better, and eVGA is basically the best video card company you can buy from.

EVGA is good. XFX is good (especially since they do Nvidia and ATI products.) Always go with a reputable company. You don't want to waste your hard earned money on poor customer service/support

I think I may wait to see what Nvidia offers. For a while, they really angered me with the way they threw their weight around the market. Are the 260 and 5770 comparable cards?

I think I may wait to see what Nvidia offers. For a while, they really angered me with the way they threw their weight around the market. Are the 260 and 5770 comparable cards?

Yes, they are very comparable cards. Some games one is faster than the other and vice versa.

Remember though, if you buy a GTX 260 from eVGA you can utilize the step-up program 90days later, if and when fermi is released.

Yes, they are very comparable cards. Some games one is faster than the other and vice versa.

Remember though, if you buy a GTX 260 from eVGA you can utilize the step-up program 90days later, if and when fermi is released.

I think BFG does 90 days as well.

I think going with nvidia is a good call, specially with the 90 day step-up program. Buy something now to tide ya over, 2-3 months get the phat daddy and save a bit on it since ya paid for the 260 gtx :)

its a win/win situation IMO

I think BFG does 90 days as well.

I think going with nvidia is a good call, specially with the 90 day step-up program. Buy something now to tide ya over, 2-3 months get the phat daddy and save a bit on it since ya paid for the 260 gtx :)

its a win/win situation IMO

When is the 300 series scheduled for release?

If it weren't for the short supply a nice 58xx series card would be awesome. That's what I would recommend if you can wait, if you can't maybe 5770 crossfire.

Please read the OP, I want to stay away from dual setups because I want to keep as many PCI and PCIe slots open as possible.

Yeah, 5850 or 5870, there's really no other choice, just wait I suppose. Subscribe to as many "auto-notifies" as you can and camp your computer :p.

I think the rumors are Q1 2010, which could be between january-march?
Hmmm I see. Maybe if you already had a reasonable card you could wait until then... but - there is the question of the speed from the 300 series and the "is it worth it " statement really.
Yeah, 5850 or 5870, there's really no other choice, just wait I suppose. Subscribe to as many "auto-notifies" as you can and camp your computer :p.

:p

For a 1280x1024 monitor your upgarde will be quite different for 1920x1200.

If you're definately getting a 1920x1200 monitor then go for a 5870, that will happily power that resolution for all current games and is set up for DX11.

If thats more than you want to spend then 5850 I suppose.

Just an update. I decided on a GTX 285. I don't when I will get it, I have to order it through someone (long story). But hopefully soon. I also have a 24" NEC on order.
It was hard to go with the 285. I haven't liked Nvidia for a while, but if AMD isn't going to have sufficient stock of their top line, and Nvidia offers the step-up program, I'll take it. Nvidia seems to be fighting harder for my money.

Last edited:
Back