Another WoW and EQ2 thread.

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I have wow, ive had it for about two months now...and im getting bored with it. What is the difference between wow and eq2? what is so much better about wow? dotn get me wrong when i first started to play it i was amazed, this game is amazing, but doesnt keep me that interested.whats so bad about eq2? im thinking abot picking it up, but i wanted to get ur guys input first. thanks

GOD'SlittleSERVANT said:
Im sorry, what about other mporgs? city of heros? star wars? final fantesy? how are those?
CoH
I think they released a PvP update (or will be shortly). The superhero theme is kind of cool. No loot really kind of sucks and takes a massive element away from the gameplay. The only thing you can do is upgrade your abilities, sort of like WoW's talents. The game is OK but since there's no cool items to really work towards it kind of feels like you're just pointlessly killing stuff.

SWG
Stay away, this game is pretty sad.
They're finally introducing a combat upgrade that they've been promising for 2+ years.
I hear a lot of the game still isn't very balanced and suffers from some problems similar to those on launch. Crafting is a profession so if you become a crafter you'll suck at combat. This was one of the most massive flaws in the game, in my opinion. Also, when I played the game was INCREDIBLY easy in combat and you could solo anything in the game. They may have made some changes to this.

FFXI
It's too late to get in the game and it's actually pretty damn awful. You will spend HOURS upon HOURS looking for a group at times and you have to group to get decent xp. The economy was completely ruined by gil (gold) sellers and the incredibly rich would grossly inflate the price of items. You have to spend TONS of time farming to get decent equipment and to get great equipment you will have to basically dedicate your life to the game. Playing with Japanese players sounds cool at first, but some of them were elitist and they have a significantly smaller delay when hunting named mobs. Also, they could cheat all the wanted to to make money and they'd never be bothered. The people who play the game are frequently weird as hell, for the most part. The gameplay is basically just grinding 24/7. Quests are usually pointless and involve little more than sneaking around (using spells or potions) and avoiding actual combat.

EQII
There's a lot of stuff to do but it lacks PvP. If you want to just focus on PvE and have absolutely no interest in PvPing ever then this is your game. The graphics are really good, if that counts for anything. There's a free trial, but it won't really give you that much of a feel for the game.

Personally, I find that EQ2 is a better MMO than WoW. Part of it is that I've never been a Blizzard !!!!!! - I don't really get into their universe & don't really like their art style. Part of it is that WOW seems 'too easy' - of course, EQ2 can be downright evil at times.

Lately, however, I've been playing a lot of CoH. Yes, the gameplay is a little less complicated than you'd have in either EQ2 or WoW, the atmosphere is more fun. For starters, let's look at character creation. You can create generic spandex-clad superheros, robots, ninjas, wizards, space monkies, businessmen and raver-girls. It's easy to spend an hour or two creating a character. On top of that, there's room for a character biography - describing your background story & whatnot. Just coming from here, you can see the freedom the game system allows in roleplaying. An excellent example is the Simian Defense Force, a supergroup(guild) that exists on one of the servers. Compared to WoW or EQ2, the mythology of the world is much more flexible - you're not so rigidly shoehorned into some game designer's personal fantasy world. You can create your own.

I'm not going to say much about the mechanics of the game short of one part - the sidekick/exemplar system. EQ2 recently adopted something similar, but I think CoH got it first. In short, it lets you party up with players that are significantly higher/lower level than you and still be productive as well as going back and revisiting low-level material that you may have missed. This is really useful if you have a friend that's been playing for a while and has an uber character - you can actually play with them and both have a challenging, fun game.

I guess the big thing that gets me is the community - people just seem to be having a good time. You can always find players of all levels hanging out in the plaza at Atlas Park - having costume contests, dancing, chatting, planning player-run events.

A lot of people say that the game gets old with time, and maybe they're right. Right now, I'm having a lot more fun in CoH than I did in either EQ2 or WOW.

EQ2 is more of a long term game than WoW imho. True, EQ2 doesn't have all the popular bells and whistles that WoW does, but it is enjoyable to play. It does have a learning curve that can turn people away and leveling is alot slower than WoW's tho. It depends on what you want in a mmo.
I hear people talk about how they can solo all the way to 60 practically in WoW, and then i wonder why they bought it in the first place if they don't even group with others. If i want that i can go play a solo game...
CoH i do like because they will soon have the City of Villians expansion out, and they will also have PvP arenas. It doesn't have a huge amount of depth but it still is a heck of a lot of fun to play...Plus i wish WoW and EQ2 would take a page from CoH's character creation....

I gotta say I ussually don't get into MMORPGs but WoW is by far the best I have played. I am lvl 60 and I still can't stop playing. I am collecting my beaststalker set now. :D

The major think I like about CoH is you can log in and get to having fun. Don't have to always need a group (( less your perticular class build is just a support type, then your screwed )) and even when you do get a group, assuming everyone isn't just a total tard, you can raise some pure living hell. Not no crap like in eq1 was when everyone overkilled a green mob and everyone had to med for a few before the next round.. Nor are you dependent on regeneration buffs etc to have fun.. the whole KEI thing in eq ruined the game for me.. That and fact you just click and your all over the world whenever you want... Took the mystery and adventure outta the game for me..

EQ2? Donno, i've been too paranoid to try it.. Dont' wanna get sunk into another camp the Jaded monkey for a week for a monkey tail or some lame crap like that... Sony needs to work on their faction with some of their older players. Though some will never look back as well.. More power to you but I'm into NCsofts log in and have a blast, not log in, lfg, get buffs, pray you don't die and get ass raped by a miscon..... :rolleyes: just tired of that.. 3 years gone ...... Hmm, need to go skeet shooting with my old eq1 disk :cool:

WoW is a great game. Its the first game I've actually bothered purchasing after 'previewing' thru beta or some other form usually friends. My wife and I have been playign since late beta, and we love the graphics and the gameplay, if you don't go power lvling crazy its fun to sit back and enjoy the quests, if you enjoy PvE its even better.

Rad777

The only thing that's bothered me about WoW is the lag. For some reason, on my network, I get sporadically horrible connections.

From what I've heard from EQ2, it's more a demo for what's to come than anything else. All the reviews I've read say that you can reach the level cap far too easily, leaving you wishing for more. I've never played it myself, maybe I'll download it and try the demo.

Just a suggestion: if you see a game come out in a couple months called Face of Mankind...avoid it like the plague. I signed up for the Open Beta and played for about twenty minutes before giving up. There are *no* NPCs to speak of, nothing is static, and without a massive player base, which they will be hard pressed to win due to the fact that the learning curve is infinitely large and whether or not there's anything to do depends on whether or not some seriously high-level characters are on means the game will not be worth any amount of money you pay for it.

Just thought I'd throw a warning out there before someone spent hard earned cash on it.

superthrawn said:
From what I've heard from EQ2, it's more a demo for what's to come than anything else. All the reviews I've read say that you can reach the level cap far too easily, leaving you wishing for more. I've never played it myself, maybe I'll download it and try the demo.

Eh... the reviews you read are wrong chief. The level cap is very difficult to get to. 50 levels is no joke, and the end game content is extremely difficult.

I'm a lvl 44 Wizard on the Antonia Bayle server. Been playing this character since January at about 3 hours or so at night. Right now, I travel around with mostly lvl 50 players finishing up or starting very difficult quests or attaining items like the Golden Efreeti Boots, Prismatic Weaponry, and the Crown of King Tranixx. Or taking a 24 man group into Permafrost to take on the Vision of Vox (lvl 52 ^^^ Group x4).

Of the level 50s that I know, all of them have something to do all the time. Our guild raids a TON on high level mobs and in high level areas, so we are constantly finding new content, new quests, new everything to do.

SOE is constantly adding content, i'll give you that, but I wouldnt call the rest of the game a "demo". We just got our first expansion and it was geared more to the middle of the range levels, although I hear from people in my guild that the ending scenario is rather difficult. I can also say that at level 44 I still cannot solo through that place. My armor is like a wet paper bag, and if I get sneezed upon by a mob is blows apart. I'm all Damage Dealing.

There's plenty of stuff to do in EQ2 even at endgame level. My guess is that the reviews you read were made by people who had not yet gotten to that place just yet.

People reached the level 60 cap in WoW weeks before people reached 50 in EQ2, and that was despite WoW coming out one month later. The end game raid content in EQ2 also far exceeds the end game content of WoW.

There's also a Guild Wars beta weekend coming up (4/15 - 4/17). The preorder pack can be had for about a buck and you get an invite for friend to play too.

EQ2 is a well rounded, great game.

Try the demo, but realize that you have to get off the training island to really start advancing and to get to see what the real world of EQ2 is all about. The demo training island is maybe 1/10000 or less of the total game, as it is now. The full version world is simply gigantic.

Grouping is not required to advance, but what is the point of playing a mmorpg game if you don't want to interact with other real players? You make new friends, plan strategies, and get in quite a few laughs when working in a group.

The graphics and sound are pretty amazing. The ingame graphics settings number greater than 60, so it can be tailored to a wide variety of computers. All of my experience is running EQ2 on an nVidia 5900, and it's been very smooth.

I have to give SOE credit, in how they are constantly listening to us players in the forums, and making changes / improvements. There are quite a few times since the games release that I saw something in the game and thought "this could be better if they...", and a week or less later, a patch comes out and whatever it was I was thinking about, is altered as an improvement. And, with the new content, quests, items, recipes, NPCs, and voiceovers that have been added just in the little while that the game has been out, it's pretty amazing.

Yep... pretty amazing end game content if you ask me. Vision of Fear encounter with the Meeting of the Minds, Vision of Vox, King Tranixx, K'Tkax the Unnatural, Iceburg and his Master... all raid content, and that is just a sampling of some of the things my guild is going out and doing all the time. I cant even remember some of the names of the encounters because they are so strange.

I'm working on some truly amazing quests at this point as well. Tarton's Wheel which grants teleportation. Golden Efreeti boots which grant in battle power regeneration. Prismatic Dagger which again adds in battle power regen. I have 47 quests partially started/finished in my quest journal. 8 of those quests are heritage type meaning they have some great magical properties.

I just want you to know that end game content is absolutely fabulous. The battles are intense. THe quests are very long and engrossing.

If I were you, I would really try to borrow a friends account to see if you would like EQ2. Maybe you just arent into this sort of MMO. I am actually very surprised that I got into it so quickly. Personally I have not even bothered much anything that Blizzard put out till now. I am sorry but Diablo is such a snoooze to me. :eek: I am just saying be careful and dont make the same mistake twice. A big buzz about game doesnt mean you will like it at all, I have been there.

Edit: Are you playing on a PvP or PvE server? Just curious I was leary of a pvp server but so far it seems to add more excitement then irritation for me.

On that note I am loving my WOW experience. I am amazed at the volume of content. There are huge chunks of content that I was too busy to even get to with my main char. I am not even factoring in the horde side of things. So unless I get bored with the game in general, there will be plenty of new content for future charecters to explore. I have been playing around a month, and with 'diligent' gaming I have reached lvl 29.

People talk about 'end game content' in the two games. Just a reality check here, does everyone only play though 45-55lvls just to experience the endgame raids? Maybe, but I would hope you enjoy the journey to uber levels as much as I have so far. The highest level players are the minority. It is not unexpected that this content is a prime target for expansion after there is a least some growth in this minority. I think both games have seen expansion in high level content.

urbsnspices said:
I am sorry but Diablo is such a snoooze to me.

I wholeheartedly agree. Diablo had my interest for a little while, but it really just did not engage me. I went to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. So much more in those 3 single player RPGs than Diablo to be honest.

I play both EQ2 and CoH.
In EQ2, I did both combat and crafting. Now I am dedicated to crafting with a little combat when I need to go harvesting resources. I got into EQ2 early and that was rather boring because of the lack of players. That number has grown since then and I have become very talented in crafting weapons and armor. I sell most of my items.

In CoH, I have 6 different characters. My highest is lvl 28. Intially its fun, but then around lvl 15 - 25, it begins to get very repeating. That makes it become rather boring. once you reach the mid to upper 20s, it really takes off. More indepth missions with much better rewards. Especially the Tasks and Trials. One thing that can make CoH fun is the huge number of possible costumes. There are costume contests all the time. Along with that, they will sometime make a theme based on the time of year. Halloween, Winter, Easter.

You have to realize in all (I'd think) of the MMOs there will be new content to come. Like in WoW they are going to take off the lvl cap and I heard a quote from a blizzard rep say "the game starts at 60" so that gives me something to look forward to. Also an honor system, battle grounds for those who like PvP.. I'm on PvE but it still relates. Finally they are soon adding hero classes. So for instance a rogue can break down into pirate or whatever. I'm sure if EQ2 (if you unfortuantly swing that way :p ) They'll be adding their own addons. What the game is now is NOT what it will be down the road, so keep that in mind.

I have had lineage 2 for around 8 days now. So far i love it, Some people think its really hard if you are not in a guild. But I guess i got it good, I found 7 players lvl 1 when i started so we became a group and ever since then have Lvl'd together. Im lvl 19 so far. The graphics are pretty damn nice for a MMO. THe music is very nice too, sorta calming but exciting at times. True, Starting off is easy I am yet to get far in the game. But i recommend it. If you want i have a invite a friend serial key i can send you that if you want it.

I can't speak for EQ2 or any other MMO as WoW is my first (was a die hard FPS gamer and some adventure and RTS on occasion) but I am another convert who is thoroughly addicted to WoW. I'm glad this was my first MMO from what I have read about other ones except for maybe the original Everquest. This is a very special game. It is mind blowing in just about every way...ways that I never even considered could exist. I am level 56 and I haven't been bored yet. The only thing that gets frustrating is being griefed (I play mainly on a PvP server).

edit: I've been playing since the first couple of weeks of retail and I have been taking my time soaking it all up. I think I've logged over 500 hours.

GOD'SlittleSERVANT said:
hmmm maybe i should just wait for an expansion and addons for wow?

Nah, just go grab EQ2. You'll be more than happy.............. and addicted, for the long run.

BTW, cool website. And that brunette is smokin' hot.

Ya im sick of the wow servers always being down in the mornings. i might have to pick up EQ2. is there a link for the demo? i cant seem to find it lol

Badger_sly said:
Nah, just go grab EQ2. You'll be more than happy.............. and addicted, for the long run.

BTW, cool website. And that brunette is smokin' hot.

lol that brunette is my gf

there's a LOT of level 60's on my WoW server now, and very few around my level (20) which kinda sucks cause I have no one to group/instances with. But hopefully that'll change when some of those lvl 60's get bored and make alts :p

Last week I bought both WoW and EQ2 to try each one out to see what I like better. I got the DVD version of EQ2 and CD version of WoW. I mention this because, having to switch disks once is a major bonus to me. It took practically no time to get EQ2 installed. I started on WoW and it was taking forever...lost patience with it and cut off the installation and got to playing EQ2.

Let me preface this by saying at most I have 4 hours a week to devote to gaming. Between work, children and wife and the commitments each deserves, time is much more precious than money.

After about 10 hours /played, I have a lvl 10 (just a bub short of 11) Crusader on the Innothule server (sp?) So far, I have had to group just once to get off the Isle of Refuge. Everything else I have done has been quest driven and VERY enjoyable. Having played DAoC, AO, AC and AC2 I kinda knew what to expect, but I am still impressed. I love the skill system in place and the graphics are amazing. I am enjoying myself so much, I have yet to even install WoW.

I do not kid myself and think that I can play solo here much longer, but it is great while it lasts. My goal is to get to 20 or so doing nothing but quests and choose to be a Paladin.

I think the death penalty in EQ2 is just right...not so bad as to discourage a gamer like me from playing, but painful enough that I dont want it to happen!

At this point, I won't try and put WoW on again until I am "stuck" at EQ2. I will keep you updated when that is.

you want to try them out to see which one you like better and don't even install WoW??

You got discouraged of it just by the installation? Once I instaled it, there's practically no load times (besides instances which is <10 secs. and not that common) and you don't need the CD to play.

Yeah...I know! I will get around to installing WoW in the next day or two....

GOD'SlittleSERVANT said:
Finished the demo, pretty impressed, i like the whole non cartoon thing.

I'll say, if you were impressed by the island demo, you'll be amazed by the rest of the world, off the island.

I rememeber being impressed and having fun on the Island of Refuge my first time going through it, and since then, have played only the one character up to level 24 bruiser / 25 alchemist. However, drink prices, on the Highkeep server my character is on, have steadily grown, which has led me to make a new character to turn into a provisioner (cook/chef). Running this new guy through the Island of Refuge now (after almost 4.5 months in the full world of EQ2) it seems quite simplistic.

So be prepared for a whole lot more if you get the full version game.

Once you get farther into the game, dropping 10 or 15 gold on food is not really going to be a dent in your pocket any more. After going out for an evening in Everfrost, I managed to rake in 33 gold in harvested meats from corpses, random junk sold to the vendor from small chests, and not to mention some very decent gear that can be sold in merchant mode.

I'm only a lvl 9 artisan now, and only got to lvl 9 because I needed to make my Stein of Moggok, but really, I dont seee any point to continuing on with the crafting unless I want to be the richest person on the server. I get along fine with just reselling what I loot at my level (level 45 Wizard).

Back