antec 20-pin power supply running an am2

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd
getting ready for another upgrade in the next couple of weeks and I'm attempting to avoid replacing my power supply as part of the package.

Hoping that some of the great minds here at [h] can advise me on if a p/s upgrade is necessary based on my upcoming setup:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.8GHz Socket AM2 65W
Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP
nvidia 8600gt video card
couple of sata HD's, ata HD, dvdrw

Just curious if a antec truepower 550watt with a 20-pin is going to cause problems with this setup.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts...

Tom

Some mobos out there do have problems with using a 20pin to 24pin adapter. So find out if that Gigabyte mobo will have any problems with a 20pin to 24pin adapter. Hit up the Gigabyte website or just email them for that info.

Also, how old is that Truepower?

I use a TruePower 550 (old revision 1, pre-PCIE/24 pin) with:

4400+ AM2 "Brisbane"
M2A-VM
2x1GB Corsair DDR2-800
Some drives
Onboard graphics/NIC/sound

No issues except sometimes during cold boot (never happens upon restart) the computer locks after the CPU detection. Normally, it would do CPU and then RAM, but it locks at CPU and I hit the reset button and it happily continues.

I do consider that to be a slight annoyance and I can't say for sure it's the PSU, but I've built 3 other computers based on the M2A-VM and all 3 of those used crap power supplies from crap cases and they all worked/work fine.

I did, once, try to boot my old 8800GTS/640MB in this machine (doing testing when my P5B Deluxe shit the bed and rolled around in it) using a Dual 4-pin molex to 6pin PCI-E and even with that plugged in the graphics card made a terrible beep and wouldn't boot.

So, I wouldn't try running any high end cards, but the 550 has at least 32 or 34A on the +12v. Kinda sad it didn't boot the 8800.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their help.

I really couldn't have afforded the upgrade if I'd had to drop another $100 on a new power supply. (Never go cheap on the p/s, hence the antec truepower 550)

I should find out within the next week if it's going to work out okay. I'll refresh this thread with my results, so others will have the information handy.

If it comes down to it, I think I saw the HX520 for like $70AR.

I use the 620 and I love it.

Well, I've been running my am2 setup for almost a week now and the results are in.

I have no issue at all with the 20pin to 24pin converter on the nforce 570 motherboard. I did plug in the extra straight 4 wire molex cord though.

Thanks again for your help. I originally hadn't thought to purchase a 20pin/24pin adapter.

Back