Antec 900: so many screws, so little experience

Dougjwjr

Limp Gawd
Hey guys. I've finally got all the parts for my new computer I'm building (first tiem building a computer). I set the mobo up with ram, cpu, and graphics, and it seemed to post (it came on, I was able to go into bios). So I went to start installing into the case.

I got the I/O thing set, figured out the brass standoffs, but then, I looked for screws for them.. and... there's only 4 that match the image in the book. There are other screws that will work for it, I looked, but I dont know what ones to use. I know some if not all that work for the brass standoffs seem to work in the PSU, which I seem to need 4.

It seems odd to me having 9 brass standoffs, but only 4 screws... I dont really know what I'm doing, and want to make sure that I dont need some of the other screws before I try using them.

(I dont know if this should be in mobo section, here, general build, or whatbut heh, some help would be greatly appreciated)

(cpu: Q6600, MoBo: evga nvidia 122-CK-NF68-A1 680i, RAM: corsair dominator 2x2 8500, gfx: nvidia 8600gt (quiet you <.< I'll upgrade soon), psu: corsair 650tx, hdd (for now) WD sata 640gb)

Here's the deal with computer screws: there are two kinds, wide-threaded and narrow-threaded. The narrow-threaded screws are used for optical drives and the wide-threaded screws are used for pretty much everything else. Unfortunately, with motherboard standoffs sometimes they can use either kind. The best thing to do is try one of each kind of screw and see which one screws in properly, and then just use only that kind of screw for the rest of the standoffs. It's important to note that you have to pay attention to the threads on the screws and not the heads. The case should come with plenty of screws to take care of installing the motherboard.

Here's the deal with computer screws: there are two kinds, wide-threaded and narrow-threaded. The narrow-threaded screws are used for optical drives and the wide-threaded screws are used for pretty much everything else. Unfortunately, with motherboard standoffs sometimes they can use either kind. The best thing to do is try one of each kind of screw and see which one screws in properly, and then just use only that kind of screw for the rest of the standoffs. It's important to note that you have to pay attention to the threads on the screws and not the heads. The case should come with plenty of screws to take care of installing the motherboard.

Eh, theres a THIRD kind of screw.

Cheap out of spec screws that some with... well.... cheap screw kits.

I see.. I have the narrow threaded screws all seperated, and lets see... I have 4 wide threaded screws that are the same-these look like the ones mounting the mobo in the book.. then I have 4 other wide threaded screws that have different heads from the others, but seems to be the same thread, and another set of 8 screws, different head from the others, but again, seems to be the same thread, and width.. length of all seems to be about the same

Pretty much any screw that fits the standoff and sits flush on the motherboard is the "right" screw.

With my Antec I had all screws in one bag. Just try around with a few screws by starting to GENTLY put them on the motherboard/drive. As soon as you need any kind of strength or violence it's the wrong screw or the wrong angle.

If you got one that fits, try to find more that look similar ;)

Sounds primitive, but like this you can always test with what screws you have available and don't need to remember screw types.

What bigddybn said, basically.

Back