[antec aria] removing honeycomb grill, will it reduce "blow noise"?

as the topic states... will removing the honeycomb grill reduce the wind noise from the psu fan?
will it help some? or not at all? how about removing parts of the grill?

and yes i have replaced the fan with one that has a batter noise/cfm ratio.

Yeah, it should help reduce noise, but before you do anything wait for someone to reply that has done it already.

I removed mine before the system was complete and it doesn't change the fan noise coming off the of the 120mm PSU fan. You'll have a greater effect replacing the fan though it isn't something I've done yet but am tempted to do.

-E

removing grill will reduce noise a little bit but it will rise airflow hence Your stuff will be better cooled.

Regarding fan noise just take fanmate or other form of rheostat and slow your existing fan down. Or connect it to fixed 5V or 7V.

MD

already slowed my exhaust fan down.

i just want alll the info so i can make my aria a s quiet as possible. but if removing the honeycomb grill dont make that much differencem i wont bother.

my best config yet is an 80mm 12db fan @12v as intake on the right side just infront of the cpu.
the zalman 7000 at about 1300-1600 rpm, and my papst 120 psu fan @7v...
keeps it cooler and makes less nose than the standrad config.

and this is with a p4 lga775 3,ghz, they get HOT really fast..

trying to find a reseller here in sweden for Acoustipack SFF.
maybe it havent started shipping yet, i dont know.
or no stores have bothered to get it.

MD said:
removing grill will reduce noise a little bit but it will rise airflow hence Your stuff will be better cooled.

Regarding fan noise just take fanmate or other form of rheostat and slow your existing fan down. Or connect it to fixed 5V or 7V.

MD
It's only running @ 1300RPMs so it's virtually silent, if not completely. It will definitely improve airflow/case temps. If that Zalman is variable speed, then that will also help reduce the speed it spins at.

Personally, I didn't bother, I just removed the fan guard. However it would be easy and does make a significant difference, especially if it's your only exhaust.

What are all you guys using for fan controllers for your Arias? Also, if you remove the card reader is it possible to get a fan controller in that 3.5inch bay?

1 zalman fanmate, 1 zalman multiconnector + 1 zalman 12v->7v converter.
cheap things that comes with zalman coolers basicly. sold cheap seperatly also.

Xaeos said:
What are all you guys using for fan controllers for your Arias? Also, if you remove the card reader is it possible to get a fan controller in that 3.5inch bay?
Zalman fanmate/5v mod.

Not really possible, unless you hack through the front and find a way to support it. It isn't really a bay.

Hmm, is there any thing to be done with that card reader "bay"-ish area? I really have no use for the card reader.

im thinking of removing the cardreader and fit a 3,5" fancontroller there.
1. find a old case with a single 3,5" bay, saw out the bay hole, fix the edges and paint it.
2. remove cardreader.
3. make a hole in the front of the aria.
4. glue the 3,5" frame you made in step 1 on the front.
and tadaaa, you have a perfect 3,5" hole in the front.
most 3,5 fancontrollers are about the same depth as the cardreader. so it should fit in pretty well.

atleast thats the best way i could think of doing it.

Back