Antec Fusion Opinions

Steeeeve

2[H]4U
Hi everyone...some of you might know me from the SFF forum or as the operator of SFFClub.com. Anyway, Antec contacted me today about the Antec Fusion case which is an HTPC system coming out in July. They offered me a chance to review the case and I was wondering if 1) you would like to see a review of this case from my website and 2) if you would like a review what sort of things would you want in it? I have never reviewed a HTPC system so I always like to ask questions to make sure I get it right :)

Below is a picture of the case and then some information about it that I received from Antec. It looks like a beautiful case!

AntecFusion.jpg

The case features an innovative triple chamber design to isolate the power supply, hard drives and motherboard into separate cooling zones for a quiet, cool system ideally suited for media center applications. Fusion supports Micro ATX form factor motherboards and the motherboard chamber includes dual three-speed adjustable 120mm TriCool(TM) fans. The chassis comes equipped with Antec's custom SU430 HT power supply unit and includes four expansion slots and three drive bays. Additionally, the case features two external USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire(R) port, audio connectors and volume control with a Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) on the front bezel.

[Napoleon Dynomite]
Luuuccckkkyyyy
[/Napoleon Dynomite]

1) Heck yes I would like to see a review.
2)
Installation experience/difficulty
Cable management
Can DVD drives be stealthed?
What can the VFD display?
Is the VFD compatible with MCE?
Talk a lot about the noise levels and subsequent temps
What happens to the noise levels if you replace the fans with good ones? (Nexus, etc)

jebo_4jc said:
[Napoleon Dynomite]
Luuuccckkkyyyy
[/Napoleon Dynomite]

1) Heck yes I would like to see a review.
2)
Installation experience/difficulty
Cable management
Can DVD drives be stealthed?
What can the VFD display?
Is the VFD compatible with MCE?
Talk a lot about the noise levels and subsequent temps
What happens to the noise levels if you replace the fans with good ones? (Nexus, etc)
You won't need Nexus fans with the 120mm Tri-Cool Fans installed. Antec does a great job with this....the low speed will probably be perfect and is nearly silent. If you haven't seen my website, I have the ability to do sound tests at Virginia Tech which allows me to get extremely good results....I am happy to hear that sound is a major factor!

If I didn't know better, I'd say that's nothing more than a P180 on it's side :p

Yeah, review please. LOTS OF PICS!

Steeeeve said:
You won't need Nexus fans with the 120mm Tri-Cool Fans installed. Antec does a great job with this....the low speed will probably be perfect and is nearly silent. If you haven't seen my website, I have the ability to do sound tests at Virginia Tech which allows me to get extremely good results....I am happy to hear that sound is a major factor!
I agree that tricools on low are very quiet, (I have the p180) but I also know that, at least in my experience, Nexus can be quieter.

InorganicMatter said:
If I didn't know better, I'd say that's nothing more than a P180 on it's side :p

Yeah, review please. LOTS OF PICS!

You may have heard of its close cousin the NSK2400 :)

jebo_4jc said:
I agree that tricools on low are very quiet, (I have the p180) but I also know that, at least in my experience, Nexus can be quieter.

Do you think I should buy a few and test them with the case or just judge based on the stock fans? I assume most people will know the Nexus is very quiet. I don't want to plunk down $30 bucks on fans if I don't have to haha

Man, I've been waiting on this review since January. I wouldn't bother with the nexus fans, I want to know how it performs unmodded straight out of the box, as would most people I think.

ND40oz said:
Man, I've been waiting on this review since January. I wouldn't bother with the nexus fans, I want to know how it performs unmodded straight out of the box, as would most people I think.
Indeed. Most people already know, or can fairly easily find out, how any fan that they want to buy compares with the stock fans that will come in the case. Give us the straight "out-of-box" review. Be sure to talk a little about clearances and overall space, too.

arkamw said:
Indeed. Most people already know, or can fairly easily find out, how any fan that they want to buy compares with the stock fans that will come in the case. Give us the straight "out-of-box" review. Be sure to talk a little about clearances and overall space, too.

in my many reviews so far I have done all of the above :) I am glad to hear thats what you guys want

i would really like to know how a moderatly powered system does in that case in a tight fit in say a media cabnet... temp wise. I have been considering picking up one of these, but am conserned about how hot the system would get in my current cituation.

I'd like to know more about the VFD, and I'd like to be sure that there's room behind the VFD to mount a 3.5" drive with 5.25" adapter rails.

you know, for these types of cases, i would like to see them in the natural environment. you know, on an av stand (or whatever). just to see how well it would fit in.

1) Absolutely!
2) In addition to most of the things listed by others, I would like to know if there is Girder support for the VFD and volume knob. Also, I would like to know how it compares to Antec's NSK2400.

Code-X said:
1) Absolutely!
2) In addition to most of the things listed by others, I would like to know if there is Girder support for the VFD and volume knob. Also, I would like to know how it compares to Antec's NSK2400.
It's the same case but with alittle more dressing up.

Girder support would be nice but I'm really interested in how the knob works, is it like Griffin's Powermate which is programmable or is like the crappy knob that Uneed's cases which isn't programmable?

Also I'm not a big fan of VFDs, I think they're mostly a waste considering how much more expensive they make a case while being nothing more then a clock display (or something) so I would like to know:
How readable is it? If the case is sitting under (or by a TV) is it readable from the couch? What can you do with it? Does it make any sort of actual difference for you? (ie: if given the choice of a Fusion with or without the VFD, no matter the price difference, would the VFD version make any sort of difference to you?)

Oh, for whoever asked the first (top) 5.25 bay has sliding drive screw mounts so yes you can mount an HDD in there behind the VFD. If it didn't have those screw holes I wouldn't have been able to stealth my drive.

needs another side drive cage (4 each, 8 total) with a 120 pull/pushing air through that tunnel, put the plugs going into the main area to make cable management easier. Looks nice otherwise.

Could you provide some detailed photos of the VFD area? In particular, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to slip an IR receiver in next to it (akin to this) since the case apparently skipped out on that fairly standard feature. It would be nice to have the HTPC self-contained instead of having to put an external IR receiver on top etc...

I'd like to know about how large heatsinks fit inside, like the Scythe Ninja.

Mohonri said:
I'd like to know about how large heatsinks fit inside, like the Scythe Ninja.
It won't fit, maybe a Mine but for sure not the Ninja.

i think the nsk is a better value
cause you can buy like a 5"bay vfd for like 80$. and its still cheaper then a fusion
or maybe check the FS forum and get one for cheaper

oooeric said:
i think the nsk is a better value
cause you can buy like a 5"bay vfd for like 80$. and its still cheaper then a fusion
or maybe check the FS forum and get one for cheaper
You have a valid point, but it's not just the VFD. There's also the volume knob!! Heh I'm kind of joking about that one.

The real benefits IMO are a stronger power supply and a brushed aluminum/steel front bezel.

jebo_4jc said:
... a brushed aluminum/steel front bezel.

that is a big deal to me. I think the silver plastic is poser aluminum. I would rather have a black plastic front. Not saying it looks horrible, but hte aluminum should be much better. Now if there was a fusion with black aluminum, silver accrents (power button, etc...), and no PSU I would buy at least 2.

IDversusEGO said:
that is a big deal to me. I think the silver plastic is poser aluminum. I would rather have a black plastic front. Not saying it looks horrible, but hte aluminum should be much better. Now if there was a fusion with black aluminum, silver accrents (power button, etc...), and no PSU I would buy at least 2.
IMHO it would look much better if the sides were silver as well, or if the front was black like you say.

Silver goes with my HT setup though.

I am a fan of classic black. silver comes and goes, white is becoming popular. Black is always "in".

IDversusEGO said:
I am a fan of classic black. silver comes and goes, white is becoming popular. Black is always "in".
Yep probably a smart move on your part. Problem is, when I was assembling my HT gear, some of it came in silver....so the silver theme has stuck.

Reguardless, the Fusion should be all one color.

The VFD would blend better if it were black. With the silver face, the big black rectangle kinda spoils the look. I'd rather have the aluminum face rather than the 2400's plastic, but I think I'll like the cleaner look if I take the 2400 and stealth any drives.

Anyone taken the device for this case yet?

Looks like you can get it for about $180 right now and the NSK2400 is $85. They are essentially the exact same case with some outer changes/features and I was wondering if $100 dollars is well spent??

-Better Front Panel
-VFD Display
-more powerful PSU
-Vol knob thing
-Firewire on front panel
-Whatever other features?

= $100 ???
-------------------------------------------------
I am going to get either of the 2 and I can afford the $180 but I just want to know if it is just a waste of money or if it is justifiable??

Cheers

Just to update

I got the Fusion because, well because I wanted to

I threw my system in there and it works awesome. It looks beautiful with my other entertainment system and runs everything great.

Awesome Case! A++ Just a tad expensive.

Back