Antec HCP-850?

pookguy88

Gawd
Anyone have this power supply? Looking into it and was wondering if it could power a Crossfire 6970 setup with my rig in sig..

well 650 and 38a 12v is what is recomended for stock clocked Radeon 6970 CF.

Most review places I have seen for a fully loaded high end system, with a single card put it around 275 idle-525watts loaded in torture testing, this is overclocked with an older i7 920. Dual card would be aorund the 325-630 watt range(very high estimate)

On the safe side shoot the number up, say 240w per card, 240 for cpu/system, 12v rail loaded to 60a, this is well within what that power supply can push out(and well beyond what the system should push out unless you were massively overclocked) Antec HCP 850 or Antec TP New 750-850, Corsair HX 750-850, even NZXT Hale 82 can easily handle crossfired 6970, while still leaving overhead for just about anything else or any overclock you want to run.

If you plan on going gold efficency, look at the price difference between it and its next down, compare the price, just as an example A Corsair HX750 or AX750 are almost identical power supplies, but the AX is like $40 more pricey last time I checked(and only a hair better at every load testing) it would take a very very long time to see a return on that investment by saving the value in $ that it cost extra.

Not saying you should not get it, but there are a crap ton of very good higher wattage power supplies in the Bronze and silver class that are also more reasonably priced then thier gold and platinum counterparts :)

Last edited:
My suggestion (whether you want it or not :p). Dont get it just because it is gold certified. Look at the reviews from several sites and compare it with other reviews of similar price/wattage. If you are looking to save money in electricity then go for the gold but there are other "less efficient" (silver/bronze) that are very stable power supplies. When I was searching for a power supply I came across some reviews that were gold/platinum/silver efficient but did not have the "cleanest" power. OEM Plays a big part in the PSU as well; If your goal is the most stable, reliable PSU you can get.

For example some would have ripples on the 12v rail that were still within spec +/-5% or 10% depending but the greater "ripple" was still a bit much for my liking. This ripple can lead to destroyed parts if the PSU is not built well enough. Granted the Antec HCP-850 is a great PSU and you have nothing to worry about. If this is all stuff you already know and you just want a simple yes then i am sorry. Yes it will handle it with ease 70A on the 12 volt rails is plenty of power for your desired setup.

Last edited:
Back