Antec ISK-110 + gaming?

Vieo

n00b
I inherited an Antec ISK-110 from my friend who is upgrading to a case with more space for hard drives. I've got some spare DDR3 1333 sticks and laptop hard drives laying around, so I want to make a build out of it.

Given that the case has no expansion card slot and it only has a 90watt powersupply, what's the best thing I could squeeze in there to get some gaming done?

BTW, the games I'm aiming for are stuff like Alan Wake, Mass Effect 3, Rayman Origins, Deus Ex: HR, etc. Also, if it helps any, it will be connected to my TV, which means I'll be using a 1366x768 resolution or less.

Last edited:
Not likely unless you go for a Z68 supreme from zotac and a low power CPU.
Still there you'll be pretty GPU limited but it could work.

Not sure if HD4000 is faster than the builtin GT430 in the Zotca Z68 supreme, another option would be to wait for an AMD trinity APU

The HD4000 @ that resolution should be able to handle some decent games, you can overclock the iGPU too, if you run out of juice just replace the psu with a picopsu, highest one of those is 150watt.

they really should have a mobo with a GT 650 or something on it, would sell like hotcakes

Just looking at some 65w or less options from AMD and Intel that are avaible from Newegg:

AMD A6-3500 Llano + ASRock A75M-ITX = $165 shipped

Intel Core i3-3225 + ASUS P8H77-I = $245 shipped

The HD 4000 in the Intel is a little faster than the HD 6530D in the AMD chip and the CPU itself is much more robust but is it worth the $80 price difference between the two for what you are planning to do? I don't know.

I'd wait another month and see what Trinity brings to the table. At the very least the Llano setup might come down in price.

Just looking at some 65w or less options from AMD and Intel that are avaible from Newegg:

The HD 4000 in the Intel is a little faster than the HD 6530D in the AMD chip and the CPU itself is much more robust but is it worth the $80 price difference between the two for what you are planning to do? I don't know.

I'd wait another month and see what Trinity brings to the table. At the very least the Llano setup might come down in price.

just wondering if i can still get the HD4000 goodness with a H67 board?

As long as the board is shipped to you with a bios that supports Ivy Bridge chips I assume it will work.

If you need to do a bios update to support Ivy then you will need a Sandy Bridge cpu on hand to actually do the update.

I'm doing a similar AMD build in one of these, but with an A8-3820. As for the PSU issue, you should be fine with the one included, but a Pico isn't a bad option either. I've got a 150W running an A8-3870k+HD6670 and it doesn't break a sweat. Trinity does offer interesting potential though.

I'm surprised that many are going this route. I'd love to go trinity when it happens if i can get a 65w A8/A10 but i current have a H67N in my ISK100 so i might just end up with an i3 3225.

I'm abit worried about the limits of my PSU and gettting a 150W pico makes it less worth while because they cost more then the case itself

If games in a compact space are the priority for this I would say sell that stuff and get a console. If building something is the priority you won't get much gaming with just 90W. That chassis was specifically designed for a business/media use since it has a VESA mount. It could still make a nice little server for something.

The thins is I've left over hardware that I may as we ll put it to some better use.

I own a PS3 and a Wii but they just sit there collecting dust, consoles dont have the games that I'd want to play nor do I want to re purchase my games and much prefer KB/M over a gamepad

SODIMMs and 2.5" drives sell very easily; they'd go fast on craigslist. There's not going to be an elegant solution for gaming hardware in that case. Good luck with jury-rigging.

Well I have thoughts on getting a single slot graphics and hook it up near the HDDs are via flexible PCIe rasier and pipe the graphics via lucid virtu to the intel graphics.

Else http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html for external GPU

I'm doing it because I can and it has not been done before not so much for practicality but it would be great if it is functional.

In future I'd prefer external graphics solution anyway so i can buy 1 GPU and swap it between my systems

You know you can probably get a pretty good performance out of the A10 5800 and its only 98$ on newegg. That being said you could probably get away with something in the AMD 6550 or 7550 with one of those ribbon things (I have use them in 1U servers and they work pretty well. The real trick would be to mod the side panel and come up with a mount to stabilize the card. You should really check out the benchmarks that the Trinity chips are putting out, it looks like Batman AC in 1080p is doable so it might even be as fast as these cards. But if you want maximum cpu speed the Intel 1155 chips are the way to go. If you decide to go a fancy rout with stuff like modding setup a post as it sounds like a fun project.

You know you can probably get a pretty good performance out of the A10 5800 and its only 98$ on newegg. *snip*

Uhh the A10 5800k is still $129 on Newegg + a $5 Newegg giftcard. That said there are no mini-ITX FM2 motherboards out so it doesn't matter what it costs at the moment.

Back