Antec P180

Lawdog said:
I just grabbed me an Antec Neopower for my next rig. When I got it out of the box, one of the first things I noticed was that the ATX cable (part of the non-modular attached group of cables) sits on the left side of the PSU--the side that will be viewable through a window. Just about every other PSU I've seen has the bunch of cables coming from the right side of the PSU, generally toward the interior of the case, when viewed from the left side.

What intrigues me about this P180 is that if the PSU is sitting on the bottom of the case, especially one like the Neopower with only one fan, could you turn the PSU upside down? This would place the one fan on top, sucking in air and exhausting it?

I know this isn't making much sense... Anybody with a Neopower know what I mean here?

A related question: if the PSU cannot be placed in upside down, as it were, would the bottom fan be able to pull in enough air if it is close to the bottom of the case?

What a sweet idea if it works out, though....

Lawdog

Yeah, that makes sense. I just built a system with a NeoPower for someone else and I was thinking if my PSU had a big 120mm fan on the bottom like that, I would put it in upside down and cut a hole in the top of my case so it could suck in cold air.

EnderW said:
Yeah, that makes sense. I just built a system with a NeoPower for someone else and I was thinking if my PSU had a big 120mm fan on the bottom like that, I would put it in upside down and cut a hole in the top of my case so it could suck in cold air.

Exactly! Problem is one of the main duties of that fan is to exhaust warm air away from top of mobo (in traditional case, that is). In the 180, that wouldn't apply so much if it were sitting below in the cooler (relatively speaking) air at the bottom of the case.

For me, I'm thinking primarily how it would look. I'd like to get that big mass of cables away from the winder! Of course, the P180 doesn't have a window... yet. <<Dremel spinning up>>

:cool:

Lawdog said:
Exactly! Problem is one of the main duties of that fan is to exhaust warm air away from top of mobo (in traditional case, that is).

True, but I'd just put a nice big 120mm blowhole in the top to fix that.

I mailed Antec to see if I could get a more specific release date.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your mail.

For the moment we're still in the testing fase of the P180.

If all those final tests go well, then it should become available by end of
May. That might be earlier, however that's hard to tell for the moment.

Best Regards,

Michel

Michel Peeters
European Sales Manager

Tel:+31 10 2088923
Fax:+31 10 437 17 52
www.antec.com <http://www.antec.com>

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 11:19
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Antec P180 availability date?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 20:01
To: [email protected]
Subject: Antec P180 availability date?

Hello Customer Support,

While browsing a pc case review website, I stumbled upon the Antec P180.
(http://silentpcreview.com/news452.html) After reading the (p)review,
and looking at some of the photos of this case, I decided that this
would be the case to buy for my next pc. I was just wondering when it
will become available on the (european) market. Is there a set date, or
estimate?

Sincelery,
Rik Elmendorp

End of may or earlier, at latest halfway april I'd say. Good news :)

EnderW said:
what's a testing fase?

Haha, I always find it funny when a paid employee whose job it is to put a good foot forward for the company cant even spell :) Although I am assuming english is not his native language (European Market). Also, I wonder if the P180 will be out in the US sooner than in europe.

Erasmus354 said:
Haha, I always find it funny when a paid employee whose job it is to put a good foot forward for the company cant even spell :) Although I am assuming english is not his native language (European Market). Also, I wonder if the P180 will be out in the US sooner than in europe.

Antec has a habit of releasing stuff a month or two later in Europe than in the US for some reason.

Oh, I want this case so badly its not remotely funny.
I just hope they dont screw anything up or do anything stupid like forget about some sharp corners :mad:
Then again, this is Antec, and they havent screwed up anythin in a while. The only thing that Im still worried about a little is how cable management will go, and how difficult/messy it will be to cut a window.

I recieved this from a retailer which sells PC cooling products in Australia:

HTML:
Hi,

Thank you for your email, we will stock it when it becomes available, my
supplier indicated that it will be at least another 4 weeks before they
are available though.

Kind regards,

Stefan (CoolPC)

CoolPC Australia
383 Blunder Rd
Durack QLD 4077

So that would now be 'at least 3 weeks'. What will arrive first, my comp from the US is supposed to arrive in 3-5 weeks, vs the P180...

Just hope the P180 comes out in a month's time cause I dont want to have computer parts without a case.

You should almost never trust the information from retailers regarding arrival date. If the response from Antec Europe is any indication, we should expect to see the cases in May worldwide as opposed to April.

I think the most accurate way of telling is when we see reviews of P180 popping up. That's when you should expect to buy one within a month.

I really like this case... So much room for Radiatores. You can have a chevette 86 Heatercore on the back (the mobo tray) for the Video card(s) and on the top another chevette core, for the CPU...

Very cool...(no pun intended)

OuTLaWzSm said:
looks pretty ugly to me.
Tiny said:
doors are gross.

Thanks for contributing!

Hate_Bot said:
Thanks for contributing!

No problem. I posted my opinion of it, and provided an alternative that incorperated my opinion, so others that may share my opinion can see an alternative. In my opinion, that is contributing and alternative....opinionly.

And doors are gross.
:p

Hey, uh, Tiny, I know this is way off-topic, but about your sig (or more specifically the last sentence in it)...speaking as a member of the US Air Force...you're full of crap. I'm ashamed of people like you, who obviously don't know or understand the whole point of the freedom I and others are fighting for. :(

I dont sing the national anthem...

And if im outside, or it's cold, Ill wear a hat all I please.

(Canadian)

Daggah said:
Hey, uh, Tiny, I know this is way off-topic, but about your sig (or more specifically the last sentence in it)...speaking as a member of the US Air Force...you're full of crap. I'm ashamed of people like you, who obviously don't know or understand the whole point of the freedom I and others are fighting for. :(

Hate_Bot said:
I dont sing the national anthem...

And if im outside, or it's cold, Ill wear a hat all I please.

(Canadian)

Keep this thread on topic. If you have a problem with someone's sig, PM them, don't crap in someone's thread.

Daggah said:

Feel free to PM with an explination other than "you're full of crap". :rolleyes:

Don't thread crap, it is bad forum edicate.

I can understand why some people would like the P180, but I don't.

Daggah said:

Funny how this freedom you value so doesn't extend to what he says in his sig.

Back on topic, do you think they'll have a window for this? There was a point where I would have bought the one Lian-Li that's similar - the V1200 I think? - but they don't have a window for it, and I don't want to mod one in again (like I did on my Sonata).

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Funny how this freedom you value so doesn't extend to what he says in his sig.

Back on topic, do you think they'll have a window for this? There was a point where I would have bought the one Lian-Li that's similar - the V1200 I think? - but they don't have a window for it, and I don't want to mod one in again (like I did on my Sonata).
I was wondering the same thing
The P160 has a window, and in the past, most Antec models have had a window. But the P180 is a completely new design, so who knows.

I was looking back over the pics of this thing and I really like it
Might have to sell off the PC-7 when this comes out

I'll sell my dell :cool:

Though, the more I see it, the less I like it, kind of odd, it seems allmost too smooth.

I still love it-- and will continue to sleep restless nights until I own it--

(God this cheap case I have now is LOUD-- even with only one 80mm fan...)

yea I really like this case, cant wait for it. I mean, it has 120mm fans all over the place, the case is actually nice and understated. I usually dont go for doors, but this one will lay flat against the side panel if I decide to leave the door open (althought inside the door they didn't pay much attention to aesthetics).

I like the way the inside is organised with the PSU on the bottom. About the only thing I dont like is the thing on the top in the back, I would have rather they left the top flat (but still have that nice 120mm blowhole ofc)

damn i love the look of them simple sleek cases.....i juss wished that the power supply was on top

Why the psu at the top? Using a psu as an exhaust isnt too good for the psu, and there are 2 120s where the psu would be. It also isolates the heat from the psu away from the cpu/video card a bit more, and should make cable management a little easier. I hope :rolleyes:.

Has anyone found one of these P180's for sale? Q1 is over and done with...

tonyou said:
You should almost never trust the information from retailers regarding arrival date. If the response from Antec Europe is any indication, we should expect to see the cases in May worldwide as opposed to April.

I think the most accurate way of telling is when we see reviews of P180 popping up. That's when you should expect to buy one within a month.
As stated earlier...

:)

Erasmus354 said:
yea I really like this case, cant wait for it. I mean, it has 120mm fans all over the place, the case is actually nice and understated. I usually dont go for doors, but this one will lay flat against the side panel if I decide to leave the door open (althought inside the door they didn't pay much attention to aesthetics).

I like the way the inside is organised with the PSU on the bottom. About the only thing I dont like is the thing on the top in the back, I would have rather they left the top flat (but still have that nice 120mm blowhole ofc)

I agree with the stupid spoiler thing on top, but i really don't think the inside is much to worry about - looking at the pics on SilentPC it definitely looks unfinished behind the door, the plastic is all cruddy - bearing in mind it's pre-production, i would be surprised if it sold looking like this. Incidentally, does it not strike anyone how dumb it is to have two 120mm exhast fans (rear & top) within inches of each other? There really seems to be no benefit from this

Wally said:
Incidentally, does it not strike anyone how dumb it is to have two 120mm exhast fans (rear & top) within inches of each other? There really seems to be no benefit from this
why? seems like a good idea to me

a waste of a fan - they're both so close they're exhausting a certain amount of air which is split between them, i.e. any air in the top corner - having a top blowhole and the 2nd 120mm about halfway down would be more sensible

Me too!! What is Antec doing? Can they not produce a single flippn' case in a MONTH!!! :eek:

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the P180 as well, just wish it was already available. :(

Actually, four months-- remember that this was introduced in January...:rolleyes:

Take your sweet-a$$ time, Antec.

(Yes-- I'll still buy the hell out of it the second it's released....but dayum people-- hurry it up! )

Back