Antec P182: close the rear output slots?

courteous

Weaksauce
Would closing the rear slots [Antec P182 rear photo @ ImageShack] help with (1) airflow and/or (2) less dust in the case? I rather ask, because I presume/hope that people at Antec know why they didn't close the slots. :p

If it is reasonable/advantageous to close the rear slots, how would you do it? I'm sure there are many Antec owners here: how did you do it (if you did it) or how would you do it?

PS: There isn't any such accessory that comes with the Antec case, or is it? :confused:

And what is the way to do it? Any straight-forward and neat (not just, say, sticking a piece of a paper on the rear, for example :)) advice?

Like the 1st picture in the Inside the Computer's Case article: what are they called (those metal strips that cover the rear slots)?

Expansion Slot Covers?

yep, they are also "PCI slot covers" too.

I actually did this on my p182. I noticed my old video card was pulling in a lot of dust through the slots because the fan was so close to the slot covers (zotac gtx 480 extreme). the slot covers helped, and i don't think the temps were that much different either, although i didn't compare. If i remember right, the original p180s didn't have vented slot covers, they added them later.

Would closing the rear slots [Antec P182 rear photo @ ImageShack] help with (1) airflow and/or (2) less dust in the case? I rather ask, because I presume/hope that people at Antec know why they didn't close the slots. :p

If it is reasonable/advantageous to close the rear slots, how would you do it? I'm sure there are many Antec owners here: how did you do it (if you did it) or how would you do it?

PS: There isn't any such accessory that comes with the Antec case, or is it? :confused:
It won't help airflow, but it will limit dust. I bought a new set of PCI slot covers and even put duct tape over the rear mesh holes on my P180. Since these series of cases are entirely designed with negative air pressure in mind (more exhaust than intake) they will suck in air anywhere possible, therefore you will also have to seal up any gaps left from unused 5.25" bays. If you want more airflow, turn the tri-cool fans to a higher setting or get better fans.

Back