Antec P182 dust filtering?

timme

Gawd
Hello,

I really like the P182, but even with the dust filters in the front, it still collects dust like a magnet.

Did anyone try and mod additional dust filters into the case? Especially for the top fan, which while blowing outwards, still opens the door for dirt to get all over the inside.

Thanks,
Tim

Wouldn't call the P182's filters filters at all - holes are too big and can't catch dust like the spongy mesh. Really don't know why they skimped on that since their 900 (I think) seem to have it. Anyways, I've tried using USED fabric softener and it seems to be not bad without going out of my way to buy it or spend any money at all. If you want to spend the dough something like this could work too

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/2623/ffi-03.jpg/ffi-05/120mm_Fan_Filter.html?tl=g36c223s548

How do these filters work? Are they attached between fan and case or as a replacement for the existing fan grills? Or totally different?

To let the filters do their jobs in the p182 you need to seal off the leaks next to the front IO. If you look carefully not only do the holes there ends up bleeding out light they also let air in since the case is by design -ve pressure. So if dusty air can get in through the front they will just pour in from there. As it is the filters won't do anything as there are paths of less resistance dusty air can get in.

Interesting point. After a few days, you see exactly where the dust is collected. One point is the thing you mentioned (around the IO / switches), another spot is the holes left and right of the drive shields. You know, the space where you fingers are supposed to go when you want to pull one of the shields out :) These are always dusty, too.

You need to make sure you have more air flowing into the case then out of the case (fan wise). This will make sure that instead of having air seep in through all of the holes, and thus bypassing fan filters, that you have air seeping out through all of the holes in the case. I would guess that you likely have one intake and two outtakes in your P182. This means that every hole in the case is sucking air in. Try changing it so you have two intakes and one outtake.

Hrm...I should crack open my P182 and see how dusty my stuff is.... xD Though last time I checked, it seemed to do its job pretty well. Anyone have any ideas how to seal all the holes?

Back