e7200 chip
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R or ASUS P5Q-E mbrd
Cooler Master TX CPU cooler
Radeon 4850 card.
Asus Blu-Ray optical drive
Corsair VX550 PSU
4GB Mushkin 1066 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 640gb HD
(my monitor is 1900x1200 DHCP compliant)

I'd like:
Crossfire capability
Solid drivers and good quality.
I'm not really an over clocker.
Cool and quiet-running
Good Blu-Ray DVD performance.
Good sound.

What do you think? Your opinions are appreciated.

Hi,

I'm looking to build a new system with the following components:

Antec p182 or Cooler Master 590 case
e7200 chip
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R or ASUS P5Q-E mbrd
Cooler Master TX CPU cooler
Radeon 4850 card.
Asus Blu-Ray optical drive
Corsair VX550 PSU
4GB Mushkin 1066 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 640gb HD
(my monitor is 1900x1200 DHCP compliant)

I'd like:
Crossfire capability
Solid drivers and good quality.
I'm not really an over clocker.
Cool and quiet-running
Good Blu-Ray DVD performance.
Good sound.

What do you think? Your opinions are appreciated.

I vote for the p182 (I have it and love it), and the ASUS motherboard - good lookin board.

I am not a big fan of Mushkin ram though. I recommend OCZ or Corsair.

I would chose by design first :p

I'm very happy with my P182, it's a good looking case that can run cool and quiet. You might want to change the 120mm fans, eventually.

For the review of your overall system, maybe try the General Hardware forum?

I would chose by design first :p

I'm very happy with my P182, it's a good looking case that can run cool and quiet. You might want to change the 120mm fans, eventually.

For the review of your overall system, maybe try the General Hardware forum?

Thanks for suggesting the general forum for a system review. I posted the works here to provide context for the choice of a case.

P182.

more durable. With my neices and nephew's around. I needed a Durable case (P180). I could have them jump on it and nothing would happen.

i like the cm 590 because its cheap
and don't let the price fool you its not made cheaply !
its made from a high quality steel and works really well
never had a problem with and i like how it gives me more options for cooling.

Antec for good customer service. My nephew broke the front USB hub on my P182 and Antec sent me a new one for free.

The cases are very different. The 590 is designed for cooling, plus tool-less features and flexibility. You can fit a lot of stuff in it, and there's a lot of room to work in. The P182 on the other hand is made for silence, so it'll be quieter than the 590, but it won't have as many spaces for fans and you'll have less airflow.

Which case you pick basically depends on whether you want silence or cooling. Both are excellent choices though.

The cases are very different. The 590 is designed for cooling, plus tool-less features and flexibility. You can fit a lot of stuff in it, and there's a lot of room to work in. The P182 on the other hand is made for silence, so it'll be quieter than the 590, but it won't have as many spaces for fans and you'll have less airflow.

Which case you pick basically depends on whether you want silence or cooling. Both are excellent choices though.

I like them both too. It's the potential noise of the 590 vs the weight of the p182 for me. Cooling seems sufficient for cross-fired Radeon 4850s with both cases. The 590 is cheaper but I like the idea of near silence as I'm a bit tired of the constant fan noise of the 3ghz Dell 8300 parked next to me here.

I like them both too. It's the potential noise of the 590 vs the weight of the p182 for me. Cooling seems sufficient for cross-fired Radeon 4850s with both cases. The 590 is cheaper but I like the idea of near silence as I'm a bit tired of the constant fan noise of the 3ghz Dell 8300 parked next to me here.

Both cases are made out of steel, so they probably weigh similarly. In your situation I'd probably go with the P182. If you're bothered by the noise your Dell makes, chances are the noise from a computer built in a 590 would irritate you as well.

an unbiased response, on MY [H]?

:)

my cm590 is pretty quiet i can/t really hear the fans
it depends on what kind of fans you use
the airflow is excellent in this case. I would get this case if you want to overclock

my cm590 is pretty quiet i can/t really hear the fans
it depends on what kind of fans you use
the airflow is excellent in this case. I would get this case if you want to overclock

I've read a lot more on the P182 now and am discovering that it's likely about 10 deg cooler without the front door. Even then people seem to think it's marginal in cooling for a high end setup, let alone in cross-fire mode.

I'm leaning to the CM 590 now. If need be, I'll put in an ass-load of near-silent fans to get air flow moving at low speeds. Case vibration and sound damping might be accomplished with careful placement of some foam tape.

My Dell 8300 has been noted for it's ability to produce noise through a very strong fan set up to move air across a particularly hot 3.0 GHz P4 CPU. This is why I'm leaning to the e7200 processor - it should be laid back and cool compared to its stronger brothers running at full tilt.

For the P182, I'd cut out the front fan grills, as they're VERY restrictive.

For the CM590, It has room for a LOT of fans, so you'd have to think about airflow first.

You could have both of those completely silent if you had silent components Although the P182 is designed for silence, ideally, the fans should be replaced.

I got the CM590. It's quieter at arm's length than the Dell 8300 under the desk. I am happy. The case ROCKS as it was easy to build in and has lots of room. Crossfire won't be an issue.

I got the CM590. It's quieter at arm's length than the Dell 8300 under the desk. I am happy. The case ROCKS as it was easy to build in and has lots of room. Crossfire won't be an issue.

The roominess is definitely a plus over the P182. I'm glad you're happy with the case :) (I'm building a system with it in a few weeks myself; I got into tool-less mechanisms with my Centurion 5 and now I can't live without them :D).

_MG_1804smshp.jpg

Here's my build with the CM590 case.

Very nice. The PSU is pretty overkill, but you can count on it lasting you a while.

Very nice. The PSU is pretty overkill, but you can count on it lasting you a while.

Yeah I wanted something that would take me through crossfire as I want to run everything at 1900x1200 without switching resolutions.

I can see why people like the HX series now - I have plenty of extra cables to stow.

I am a big fan of Antec P180/180, but unfortunately the place where I am living, Antec Cases are not available. So I have a choice between CM 690 and CM Centurion (590). Out of which Centurion littlebit more expensive than 690. Is there any major difference in performance between these 2 CM cases?

I'm very impressed with the build quality and attention to detail of the P182...
Huge improvement over my previous antec900.

Yeah I wanted something that would take me through crossfire as I want to run everything at 1900x1200 without switching resolutions.

Realistically, you'd be under 350W at load with two 4850s in your system. People often grossly overestimate their power requirements.

Never really looked into the CM590 but that is a nice case. I like its clean facade.

Realistically, you'd be under 350W at load with two 4850s in your system. People often grossly overestimate their power requirements.

This is good to know. I built this machine because the AGP slot in my Dell would require a 350w PSU to provide enough horsepower to run at 1900x1200. Wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be power-limited again.

Never really looked into the CM590 but that is a nice case. I like its clean facade.

IMO the quality is better than the Antec 300 (and likely the 900), and the depth of the case makes cable routing a breeze. Excellent case compared to the other ~10-odd ones I looked at.

Back