Antec TP-II 550W SLI Ready Power Supply

dynamiks

Weaksauce
For the price and specs of this power supply, I am surprised to see rarely any talk about it. Anyway this PSU can be had for just under $100, and I was considering it for my new SLI setup. Any reason to not go with this power supply? Anyone who has one can put it any input on how you like yours, and if the voltages are good? The amps on the 12v rails are even higher than the Seasonic S12 600w.

It's an excellent PSU for the money, and it should meet the needs of most people.

what I dont undersand is why no one really talks of it, even with its excellent specs? I hear more about the Seasonic S12 500w and 600w than I do of this power supply. Even though this power supply has better specs than the Seasonic S12 500w, and costs less. I found it for about $97 shipped at eWiz.

JTY said:
The Seasonic is popular because of how quiet it is.

I know... But its funny how half the people who choose the Seasonic cause of its quietness yet, they have loud PC's to begin with. I am curious to see if the Antec is as quiet as it claims. Antec's website says the TPII 550w is 21dba. I seriously doubt that, but I wanna know if its close at least.

they have the seasonic because it is quiet, efficent, stable, and proven.

Antec...not so much.

dynamiks said:
For the price and specs of this power supply, I am surprised to see rarely any talk about it. Anyway this PSU can be had for just under $100, and I was considering it for my new SLI setup. Any reason to not go with this power supply? Anyone who has one can put it any input on how you like yours, and if the voltages are good? The amps on the 12v rails are even higher than the Seasonic S12 600w.
The Antec True Power II 550W should be ideal. :D

It's slowly starting to penetrate the market. The Seasonic S12 series has been around for quite some time.

One of the reasons why people reccomend Seasonic over Antec is because Seasonic's power ratings are more accurate. A S12 500 will provide 500 watts of continuous power(an even higher peak power rating) while the Antec provides a much lower number. If you read the labels on the psu, the max for the Antec is 530W(not even matching its advertised claim...).

selizo said:
One of the reasons why people reccomend Seasonic over Antec is because Seasonic's power ratings are more accurate. A S12 500 will provide 500 watts of continuous power(an even higher peak power rating) while the Antec provides a much lower number. If you read the labels on the psu, the max for the Antec is 530W(not even matching its advertised claim...).
At a guess you're referring to:
* +5V, +3.3V, +12V1, 12V2 maximum output 530 Watts max.
However as with most in the industry when claiming total output you have to also include the +5V SB and -12V (and -5V for ATX v 1.3)

Those 2 add an additional 22W.

i've got two tpII 550s and they are fantastic.

i know in the forum i frequent most (for now) anandtech, seasonic is like the flavor of the day. truly, there are more "experts" there who don't even have nor tried half the stuff they recommend.

no doubt seasonic is a great psu and if one of those incredible deals e-wiz had resurfaces i'll get one. but they're very pricey.

i'm not saying to skimp, but $100 psu's are certainly not skimping. i've put the dmm to both of mine and idle -> load is less than 1%. heres the 12v2-
http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00026zo.jpg

as for quiet, my fans spin typically ~900rpm, max i've seen is 1100. its represented by the pwmic in the above pic (sorry for the glare). needless to say, its not the loudest fan in my case :)

Back