Antec TP430 enough for C2D+3850?

The trusty old ASUS A7N8X Deluxe in my little brother's computer finally fried... Burst/leaking caps. Since I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement Socket A motherboard that supports his 400MHz FSB Athlon XP 3200+, I was thinking of just upgrading his CPU, RAM, and video card along with a new motherboard...

So I'm looking at a Core 2 Duo E6750 on an Intel P35-based motherboard with 2GB of 1066MHz DDR2 RAM and an ATi 38x0-based video card... Will his existing 430W Antec TruePower PSU cut it?

If it is an original TP 430 (20pin ATX) then I'd get a new PSU, but if it's the TP II / TP III line then it should be fine.

Might as well plug it in and find out. 430W is plenty for a basic system (even a C2D).

Tcalp: Yeah, just thought of that when I woke up this morning :)

Well, I do have the 480W TPII that I'm using in the first system in my signature... The 430 should cut it in that one if I swap them... Just wanna make the best use of the parts still intact from his fried system.

I don't think so. The Antec 430W Truepower only has 20A on the +12V Rail. Considering that that 3850 consumes as much power as an 8600GTS, which requires a minimum of 22A, I recommend getting a better power supply.

I'm assuming that you're on a tight budget, so I recommend this PSU since it has 27A on the +12V, enough power for your bro's rig.
XCLIO Stablepower 460W PSU - $55

I don't think so. The Antec 430W Truepower only has 20A on the +12V Rail. Considering that that 3850 consumes as much power as an 8600GTS, which requires a minimum of 22A, I recommend getting a better power supply.

I'm assuming that you're on a tight budget, so I recommend this PSU since it has 27A on the +12V, enough power for your bro's rig.
XCLIO Stablepower 460W PSU - $55

Nah, the budget's not limited, but I don't want to be wasteful. Anyway, I thought the TP 430's +12V is rated at 26A... Regardless, as of my last post in the thread, I'm talking about using the Antec TPII 480.

Grrr... Nevermind... The X1950 Pro in the system in my signature needs a 30A +12V rail... So I guess he's getting a new PSU as well!

The XP3200+ is still decent for many things. You can get many used boards off Ebay for really cheap instead of upgrading now. Intel have pretty interesting offerings early next year if you can wait a bit.

Where did you read that?

On the box.

kiajoon:
Very true, and I plan to put the 3200+ to use; definitely not going to waste. This'll be a nice thing for him though; he's been dealing with (really nice) hand-me-down machines all his life, but their gaming ability has never been *great*. I can do this today for well under $1000 after taxes (Radeon 3870, C2D E6750, ASUS P5K, 2GB DDR2, TP3 550, 250GB SATAII), and it should last him for some time to come. As for waiting for the next generation from Intel, well, I can get pretty close to the top-of-the-line general desktop stuff with the E6750 right now for relatively cheap, so I won't really be losing too much sleep over it, even after the heat and power savings that a 45nm process brings ;)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Back