Antec True Power 550 (1st Gen) + Fortron X3 Booster?

ToddMcF2002

Limp Gawd
I currently have a modded TruePower 550 (2004 vintage, probably 1st Gen not 2.0?)

I was considering keeping it for a Conroe build and adding a Fortron X3 Booster in a vacant 5" slot to power a G80. They only cost ~$80

Any reason to hate the 550? It has served well for a few years, but its a hassle to swap out a PSU later.

Thanks for any advice.

davidhammock200 said:
What is the +12V amperage rating?

If it is +12V@30A or 36A, then it should be fine. ;)

The original TruePower 550 is +12V@30A. Do not confuse it with the original TrueControl 550, which is only +12V@24A.

E4g1e said:
The original TruePower 550 is +12V@30A. Do not confuse it with the original TrueControl 550, which is only +12V@24A.
There have been many versions over the years, from 22A/24A to 36A, I'm guessing his is +12V@30A.

davidhammock200 said:
There have been many versions over the years, from 22A/24A to 36A, I'm guessing his is +12V@30A.

Oh, I see. I must have gotten an early TC550, with 24A... :( And I'm glad that I retired it early, because when that PSU last ran on an Intel P4 Northwood rig (with an Intel D865PERL mobo), the rig just didn't run as stably as it should have. At first I thought that was due to the load-testing (the rails should not have exceeded a rating of 240VA) -- but then, I've recently read that subpar caps (Fuhjyyu caps are known to be allergic to high PSU case temperatures) may be to blame for such instability. And that TC550 of mine had always exhausted hotter than usual air.

As long as the True is in good shape with no bad caps, it should work well with the FSP Booster. 24A @12v is nothing to worry about if that unit is not powering the video cards.

I'm pretty sure it is - I'll have to pull the numbers off it tonight. I've always liked the modular cables - I hope it is a keeper.

The Fortron looks pretty cool and reviews well - anyone have one? Its got two PCI-e power leads, seems like a good candidate to power a G80?

Hmmm... it is labelled True 550, but it is rated 24A @12V. Its not clear if it is a TruePower or a TrueControl.

Regardless I think I'm going to dump it. Is there anything rated >750 that isnt oversized? I've got a Sunbeam Rheobus right in front of it and I like it there if I can!

Also, being sort of a noob regarding powersupplies - should I get a multi rail or a single?

Thanks for any help!

No, the rails on the GXS 700W are too small for a 300W load on 2 of them. My recommendation is probably your best bang for the buck option for SLi G80.

ToddMcF2002 said:
Think that could do SLI with some 8800 GTX's?

I believe so... from what I've heard about the 8800's so far, 12A per card is about right. The OCZ can handle that.

Easily. I would also suggest the Corsair 620W - Seasonic based like the PC P&C, and modular. If the cards have two connectors however, you might want to look for something that can do quad SLI. There's a list of G80 SLI approved units here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271

The Silverstone would be my own biased suggestion ;)

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I believe so... from what I've heard about the 8800's so far, 12A per card is about right. The OCZ can handle that.

Then why was is said that each GPU would take 300W? 12A = 150W, just doesn't seem like that matches up right.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Easily. I would also suggest the Corsair 620W - Seasonic based like the PC P&C, and modular. If the cards have two connectors however, you might want to look for something that can do quad SLI. There's a list of G80 SLI approved units here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271

The Silverstone would be my own biased suggestion ;)

Man I'm getting poorer by the minute! The Silverstone looks like a good deal - I'd like to see the config tested in SLI though...

dBTelos said:
Then why was is said that each GPU would take 300W? 12A = 150W, just doesn't seem like that matches up right.

There have been some preliminary reports stating that systems with a G80 aren't drawing much more from the wall than equivalent ones based on the X1900 XTX. This isn't much of a shock to me - I couldn't see how they could possibly draw double the power of the X1900 series.

Still, it's early yet... could be the reports I heard weren't pushing the cards hard enough. Been fighting a stubborn Chrysler 318 all day - haven't had time for much geek homework ;)

Back