Any 4:3 E-IPS screens on the horizon?

I think there are some older 19" 1280x1024 IPS screens, but they have a 20-30ms response time and aren't quite 4:3. My favorite 4:3 screen with larger pixels (for better text) is the Samsung 203B. It's a decent TN panel for its time, but a TN nevertheless. I'm staring at one now at work. I picked it because it does 1400x1050, the same rez as my Thinkpad T60p.

If you really want a decent 4:3 monitor and you don't need it bigger than 18-19", I highly recommend a CRT.

Edit: I'm sure you've seen this site before, but here it is anyway. Your choices are limited with 0.29+.
http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/pixel.size.htm

I'm in the same boat. I don't like relying on applications or web browsers to adjust the text size, since not everything can be adjusted. Fortunately, I can handle 0.28 or better, which opens up a few more possibilities.

Last edited:
Th only 19" 1280x1024 decent monitors left are PVA (some NEC and Eizo models)
The closest you will get to 0.29 is
1680x1050 22'' with 0.28 and 1920x1200 26'' with 0.285 pixelsize.
you could also get an IPS based 1920x1080 32'' TV which would have 0.37mm pixels.

If you really want a decent 4:3 monitor and you don't need it bigger than 18-19", I highly recommend a CRT.

Man, come on. It's over and done. "Need text clarity" isn't a valid enough reason anymore for telling someone to furnish their desk with a 45 lb energy hog.

Man, come on. It's over and done. "Need text clarity" isn't a valid enough reason anymore for telling someone to furnish their desk with a 45 lb energy hog.
There is also the benefit of better blacks, colors, viewing angles, no input lag or response problems. Most LCD's fail these tests miserably. I'm not saying LCD's don't have their place, but accuracy is not their strong point.

There are some 19-20-inch 1600x1200 displays on Newegg, <cut>.
Those don't meet his pixel requirement though. 0.255 is awfully small text. But I agree with you that it's probably one of the best 4:3 LCD's made. So the OP can either give into the small pixel format and get IPS, or settle for the TN screen in a Samsung 203B (or ViewSonic VG2030m which is the same panel).

My ViewSonic VP181s is IPS with 0.280 mm pixel pitch, I see the odd one on ebay.

Right, they fail the tests miserably, just like a dodge viper fails an acceleration test miserably because it isn't an F1 car.

Or can you also mount your widescreen CRT on a three-axis arm like mine and swivel it 90 degrees if you want? Yeah, didn't think so.

Right, they fail the tests miserably, just like a dodge viper fails an acceleration test miserably because it isn't an F1 car.

Or can you also mount your widescreen CRT on a three-axis arm like mine and swivel it 90 degrees if you want? Yeah, didn't think so.

Why the hatred of CRT's? Did one fall on your foot?

It's a valid option.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm using a CRT now, but I would like to switch to an LCD, primarily for the pivot and sharper text. At work, I use my LCD in portrait orientation 95% of the time, and I love it. The screen at work is a 19" with 1280x1024 maximum resolution, so dot pitch is fine.

A while back I bought a Dell 2007FP, and although it was overall a very good screen, I couldn't get used to the small text, so I returned it to the store.

Now that E-IPS technology makes it possible to make good 22 inch screens at an affordable price (e.g. the 2209WA), it seems that a 4:3 screen with similar cost and features would be a sensible addition. Hopefully Dell (or another brand) sees this too.

Prog.

Now that E-IPS technology makes it possible to make good 22 inch screens at an affordable price (e.g. the 2209WA), it seems that a 4:3 screen with similar cost and features would be a sensible addition.
I love 4:3 monitors, but I don't think the situation is all that hopeful.

The cost of a LCD panel depends on its type, its size, and how it is cut. Cutting 4:3 panels is much less efficient (and thus more expensive) than cutting 16:10 and 16:9 ones (that is what I heard, anyway), so don't expect a 4:3 e-IPS monitor to be cheap. I have not heard any company manufacturing 4:3 e-IPS panels, and the low demand of 4:3 monitors in general certainly does not motivate manufacturers to introduce such a product.

Why not buy a 2209WA, set it to 1:1 pixel mapping, and run it at 1400x1050?

4:3 panels are more expensive to produce because of the way (apparently) they are cut. I guess the substrate is cut horizontally so taller panels are more expensive because of fewer units per substrate. I guess it's like cutting a "roll of LCD" for lack of a better analogy.

The likelihood you will see future 4:3 ratio monitors that don't cost an arm and a leg are probably very slim. You probably used one of the last few good ones (2007FP). Another one is the HP LP2065, but it's prone to using both IPS and PVA panels so mileage varies.

Not trying to dash your hopes, but if anything, most developments will happen on 16:10 and 16:9 ratio screens in the future, and even 16:10 will likely continue to become less and less common from what the manufacturers and marketeers are saying due to cost discrepancy.

What might be sensible for us, the people with the $$$$ might not be sensible for the bean counters that want the $$$, so you might want to take the plunge sooner rather than later.

You may want to check here for a good start for 4:3 information:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm using a CRT now, but I would like to switch to an LCD, primarily for the pivot and sharper text. At work, I use my LCD in portrait orientation 95% of the time, and I love it. The screen at work is a 19" with 1280x1024 maximum resolution, so dot pitch is fine.

A while back I bought a Dell 2007FP, and although it was overall a very good screen, I couldn't get used to the small text, so I returned it to the store.

Now that E-IPS technology makes it possible to make good 22 inch screens at an affordable price (e.g. the 2209WA), it seems that a 4:3 screen with similar cost and features would be a sensible addition. Hopefully Dell (or another brand) sees this too.

Prog.

The 2209WA supports 1:1 pixel mapping?
I don't really know; I just assumed that it does. You have my apologies for providing false information.

However, unless you are that person on the forum who needs to run old systems such as DOS, your graphics card can probably take care of the aspect-ratio-preserving scaling from 1400x1050 to 1680x1050 (by adding black bars at the sides) just fine.

Why not buy a 2209WA, set it to 1:1 pixel mapping, and run it at 1400x1050?

I may eventually buy the 2209WA, buy I prefer a 4:3, for several reasons:

- I usually view pictures shot at 4:3. When doing so with a wide screen a large part of it isn't used.
- Most DOC and PDF documents that I read (using portrait orientation of course) are 4:3. That is, each page is 4:3.
- I don't intent to use my PC to watch movies
- I'm worried that a 22" wide screen in portrait orientation (which I use most of the time) will stand too tall and be inconvenient.

Prog.

They don't make 4:3 anything anymore, this is like asking if Intel will be releasing new Pentium II chipset motherboards that supports DDR 3 ram and PCI-E x16, or if a Ford Model T with a hydrogen engine is coming out soon.

Bad examples. PII and Ford Model T are old tech. There's nothing in 4:3 aspect ratio that is older tech than 16:9, it's only an aspect ratio, and one that makes a whole lot more sense for many users.

Prog.

with IPS you're pretty much out of luck.. (NEC does still make 4:3 IPS panels.. but as you can see by the grayscale model.. they aren't intended for the average consumer.. http://www.am.necel.com/display/displayproducts.html?a=19)

The most cost effective options with OKish viewing angle would probably be PVA 19''ers like the NEC MultiSync EA191M and Samsung SyncMaster 943T (which seems to be phased out currently). But I'd personally just get a 2209WA and not use the added space on the sides...

Last edited:
Back