Any better 1/2 length PCI-E cards coming out?

pxc

Extremely [H]
I'm looking for something the size of a 8600GT, but faster. The case I'm using for this build is a picoBTX and full length cards don't fit, especially if the heatsink is long. Power really isn't a problem.

All of the ATI and nvidia cards faster than that 8600GT that I've seen are too long. Any suggestions?

there aren't going to be any changes in the near future as far as i know
it will continue to be in these sizes , therefore i can only suggest you to change your case into bigger one , or settle on the card

there aren't going to be any changes in the near future as far as i know
Awesome crystal ball you have there. :p The suggestion of a larger case defeats the whole purpose of the picoBTX build. If I can find a decent enough video card (eventually), it will replace my Antec Solo HTPC in a small fraction of the space. The small case i'm using is perfect for hiding behind the TV on the same stand, or even mounted to a custom VESA bracket on the back of the TV.

The HD 3650 is newer and slightly shorter than the 8600GT, but unfortunately it's not an upgrade. Maybe i'll just "suffer" with the 8600GT until mid-range R7xx or GT2xx models become available in a couple of months.

Highend cards are always longer.

The 7950GT/7900GT/7900GS might fit, but are aging cards.

Three options (all with drawbacks):

1> Ditch the riser card and plug the video card into the motherboard. But most BTX cases don't make provision for this so you may have to mod the backplate. Also, case has to be at least 80mm high; plus, if the case is 80-120mm high you'll be restricted to a LP card, of which the Galaxy 8600GT DDR3 seems to be the fastest at the moment.

2> Assuming the case is over 80mm high you may be able to replace the standard BTX thermal module with a low profile "Type II BTX Thermal Module". Intel, Thermaltake, and Coolermaster all made these, but tracking one down may be tricky. Also, the smaller fan on the Type II may well be noisy.

3> Replace the standard BTX thermal module with a "performance" fan and a low-profile passive heatsink. Of course, you may be pushing it uphill to find a LP passive heatsink with a BTX mounting ... the Spire SP510-1U could work (if it was BTX :) ... or you could try to adapt a Xenon S771 heatsink (81.28x38.1 mounting holes) for the BTX 111.77x66.04mm hole pattern (e.g. http://www.alphanovatech.com/cat_xeon_index.html).

Good luck! :)

Three options (all with drawbacks):

1> Ditch the riser card and plug the video card into the motherboard.
2> Assuming the case is over 80mm high you may be able to replace the standard BTX thermal module with a low profile "Type II BTX Thermal Module".
3> Replace the standard BTX thermal module with a "performance" fan and a low-profile passive heatsink.
It's a picoBTX case and the only HSF that fits is a type II module, which is the *low profile* cooler. There are no smaller heatsinks that would fit. Due to the design of BTX cases, the air flow path depends on the thermal module for ventillation through the case. Air flow through the case would be ruined by a small low profile standard LGA-type cooler even if it could fit (it won't).

The first suggestion won't work either. The picoBTX case does not have a cut out to use a 1/2 height card (which would be even worse for video card choices and far more expensive) without a riser. The riser card is required to use the expansion slot and I already have an 8600GT. :p

I just found another problem anyways. The PSU has very little power on the 12v2 rail to support a video card. I'm going to need to stick to a slot powered card, so that rules out the 8600GT I have (uses a molex connector). I'll just throw in an x1650 HDMI card for now until I get something else later.

Back