Any chance on a 6gb 7970 custom card?

Limp Gawd
So you think there is anyway in hell a custom 6gb 7970 is in the works?

You know for the eyefinity nuts...

Yes. There was a leaked document some while ago with a list of cards to be released by Sapphire. On that list was a version of the HD7970 with 6gb ram. When it will be released no one knows but I would be surprised if we don't see it in the next 3 months.

Yeah because 3gb is limiting people right now..God the Vram craze is getting even crazier

^Run eyefinity then say that.

Oh damn now that would be awesome. Thanks for the info Wolf!!

What amazes me is that somehow a game will use 6 GB of VRAM, yet they can barely use 2 GB of system RAM?

whatupwiththat.jpg

Yeah because 3gb is limiting people right now..God the Vram craze is getting even crazier

where the real advantage of 6GB of ram is for those running dual or triple or even quad crossfire in 3x30" or 6x30" eyefinity.

What amazes me is that somehow a game will use 6 GB of VRAM, yet they can barely use 2 GB of system RAM?

why should it? the only thing the ram handles is hard data files that the graphic card doesn't need to use. other then that everything related to the graphics is loaded onto the vram. as more and more textures to hide flaws get added to games the more vram you are going to use. on top of that you now have the high density wire frame and bump mapping with dx11, enhanced lighting being used in games and the all dreaded over usage of bloom.

Last edited:

Actually BF3 here uses 1.8Gb of my graphic card memory and almost 4Gb of system ram (not only the game but the total system load)

resolution 5916x1080
I use 5916x1080 because of bezel compensation

where the real advantage of 6GB of ram is for those running dual or triple or even quad crossfire in 3x30" or 6x30" eyefinity.

You are going to run out of GPU power before you are limited by 3gb of Vram. The current cards are still too weak to take advantage of that much Vram. 3gb is the max that I would say is useful, everything over that is just to boost your epenis.

those are just dual gpu cards labaled with 6gb of ram.

there is no way they will release a single gpu card with 6gb of ram, common folks, lets be for real.

6GB would be great for blender/cycles!

is a 4GB 7870/GK104 likely too?

I saw now some news from the big CEBIT show in Germany that Sapphire has presented their new HD7970 Toxic 6Gb card.
Not only does it come with 6Gb ram but it is also heavily overclocked @ 1150 MHz core speed and that it also have some kind of turbo mode that will assist in reaching higher overclocking.

Sadly the article is in Swedish and google translate did a very poor job on it so you can hardly get any meaning out of it.
Here's the source. http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/15154-sapphire-klammer-in-6-gb-minne-i-radeon-hd-7970-toxic

Actually BF3 here uses 1.8Gb of my graphic card memory and almost 4Gb of system ram (not only the game but the total system load)

resolution 5916x1080
I use 5916x1080 because of bezel compensation

ok I just found out that it uses 2.250Gb playing BF3 on map metro.

You are going to run out of GPU power before you are limited by 3gb of Vram. The current cards are still too weak to take advantage of that much Vram. 3gb is the max that I would say is useful, everything over that is just to boost your epenis.

in single card yes.. now add 2 or 3 cards then add 3x2560x1600 and now the gpu's are no longer the bottleneck. just because you add a bunch of cards in crossfire or SLI doesn't mean the ram stacks. you could add 10 7970 3GB cards(if it was possible) and you still only have 3GB of vram. this is why 6GB cards exist. its for those people running 3, 4, 5, and even 6 1080p/1600p displays with dual, triple, or quad crossfire.

but why am i even explaining this again.

dangit where is vega.. i'm sure he has some vram usage numbers with his quad GTX 580 3GB cards. :p

Last edited:
Back