Any devices better than SONOS?

yes that is what I meant... sorry for the confusion if there was any... any links to xbox's that have been modded to fit this niche?

Better depends on a lot of things I guess. The remote is the standout in the Sonos system, and I doubt even a PDA will get close in terms of convenience. What're you looking for that's better?

Slimdevices Squeezebox is a very nice Digital Audio Player, however is not a direct replacement of the Sonos. It does not have that high-end remote, however it can be controlled with a networked PDA but still probably not as cleanly as the Sonos Remote. Also the Squeezebox is JUST the player, it is not as standalone as the SONOS (for some this is a plus not a minus).

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Also the Squeezebox is controlled via a very slick open source media server called Slimserver. It is perl based and runs on OSX, Windows, and Linux. I found though with this type of device that it is best if you have a dedicated server box (particularly if you have a large collection).

You can download Slimserver and run it and even includes a software emulator for the Squeezebox so that you PC will look and act just like the hardware device, ALL for free and test it out.

m1abram said:
Slimdevices Squeezebox is a very nice Digital Audio Player, however is not a direct replacement of the Sonos. It does not have that high-end remote, however it can be controlled with a networked PDA but still probably not as cleanly as the Sonos Remote. Also the Squeezebox is JUST the player, it is not as standalone as the SONOS (for some this is a plus not a minus).

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Also the Squeezebox is controlled via a very slick open source media server called Slimserver. It is perl based and runs on OSX, Windows, and Linux. I found though with this type of device that it is best if you have a dedicated server box (particularly if you have a large collection).

You can download Slimserver and run it and even includes a software emulator for the Squeezebox so that you PC will look and act just like the hardware device, ALL for free and test it out.

ahh.. forgot about the Squeezebox... another one is the Roku Soundbridge.

magnetik said:
ahh.. forgot about the Squeezebox... another one is the Roku Soundbridge.

UGGH, the Roku is a very poorly done rip-off of the Squeezebox.

I am considering hooking my xbox, to my slingbox, so I can control my media center over the network. I would be able to access/control video, audio files on the network or over the web, replaytv recordings, and online radio stations etc.

Back