any examples on hiding a water pump in a chieftec dragon

ryuji

2[H]4U
im planning on having an 2x120 in the front of the case, and consitering water cooling, but i do not want to put the water pump in plain sight

also, any examples of people doing a real clean hose setup with the RBX?

Well, we needs some info on what pump and how many 5.25" bays you have and how your power supply lays i.e. veritcal or horizontal. and stuff like that.

-Brandon

I installed my pump in the 80mm blow hole in the back of the case. I just removed the fan and slid the pump and the bracket holds it perfectly. I also added a bit of foam to keep it nice and snug and help to remove the vibrations

pump.jpg

i havent designed the water cooling system yet, whatever i do i need to mount at least 2 hard drives (is it safe to keep a pump next to hard drives? im thinking not) and a dvd burner, the rest(i guess not much depending on how efficient i figure out the mounting) is free space

If I were to put a 2x120 rad in a Dragon I'd scrap the two 3.5" removeable drive bays in the front and cut out two 120mm fan holes in the front of the case. Which would leave you with no where to mount the hard drives which would leave you with the option to either buy 2 hard drive coolers than sit in 5.25" bays or get two 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter kits. Second you could mount the rad in the top of the case and cut out 2 120's there and move all your drives to the lower bays.

i plan on cutting out the two hdd bays and mounting the radiator there, i already do not use them,all of my hdds are in the cdrom bays for cable managment reasons
top of the case isnt practical for radiator, ill show why
img00124tu.jpg

I'm pretty sure that there are several warning labels on the pump saying it must be posistioned upright......

Glyphic said:
I'm pretty sure that there are several warning labels on the pump saying it must be posistioned upright......
thats when ur first priming it... after that it should run just fine upside down

You wont see great performance running a CPU and GPU off a single 120. Just my $0.02. I'd go for the dualie.

Edit: After looking at your sig, if that's the system this will be mounted on, I'd definately (sp?) go with the dualie.

im doing a 3.2e at 4.2 ghz and a 6800 at ultra extreme voltages, my friend said he is water cooling his psu(wana know how he did that, maybe its custom, wouldnt be surprised if it was), his cpu,his nb, and his video card as well as two hard drives(he isnt a light overclocker either, he has a 4.3 ghz cpu and a volt moded 9800 xt) off a 120 mm radiator and he says that a 2x120 is not neccesary if i dont mind a little noise(no 20 cfm 120mm fans like you see some people do :p )

I'll bet he gets temps worse than air cooling off a single 120 rad. I suggest you pick up a dual 120 if you are overclocking the shizniz outta ur CPU and GPU, you won't see temps that are low at all with a single 120 and your current config.

would a second 120 mm radiator be good, my intended case setup limits choices a bit, im thinking a intake style radiator and then a blow hole style or should i just go get a 2x120 and hack out all of my hdd sized bays

Oh, I thought you were still considering removing the HDD bays. Hm, you could get two 120's but I'm not sure if that would restrict the pump alot. I'd ask one of our pump guru's around here about that.

Edit: I'm using the same case and will be adding a dual 120 to it soon, I'm going to have to remove the hard drive bays and cut 2 holes for the fans.

i was thinking of mounting the radiator on the top of the case, i think i might go back to my original plan, my friend was insistant on making me a 120 mm radiator, you might know him, his hardforum alias is BitchBreaker(one of the people who run snt-systems), i trust him a lot and he was insistant on having a 120 mm radiator on the top of the case because it looks cleaner then the bottom front of the case.
but he didnt tell me his temps, worries me now

mount it in ur cd rom drive bays on the bottom and use the top two for ur roms

it should be fine there

ryuji said:
i was thinking of mounting the radiator on the top of the case, i think i might go back to my original plan, my friend was insistant on making me a 120 mm radiator, you might know him, his hardforum alias is BitchBreaker(one of the people who run snt-systems), i trust him a lot and he was insistant on having a 120 mm radiator on the top of the case because it looks cleaner then the bottom front of the case.
but he didnt tell me his temps, worries me now

You'd want a dual heatercore. A single fan definately won't be enough for your setup. At least not if you want better cooling than a well thought out air system

im still going to do 2x120 in the front, ill just leave the pump in plain sight, nowhere else to put it(notice how many hdds i have) 1 dvd burner, and a res, no room for pump in there

my friend BitchBreaker of snt-systems says that his custom 120 mm radiator preforms on par with the bonneville radiator, and he runs a system thats a hell of a lot hotter so i dont think im going to worry about it too much :cool: maybe it really is a matter of cfm, most of the people with those radiators run 50 cfm 120mm fans, ill be pumping 87 cfm, and if it aint enough ill put one on the other side doing push-pull

Well, try and get one of his "custom" 120 rads. There must be some great improvements between it and a regular 120mm rad.

if you were to get the DDC pump swiftech has a combination pumpholder and res (MCRES-1000) and it fits in 1 bay slot. I myself have a chieftec case and when using a dual 120 fans in the front you have to remove one of the drive bays which gives you less bays to use for drives and etc.

bitchbreaker ressurected the thread, i never bothered hiding it, its in plain view and i like it the way it is

Back