Any Exchange 2003/2010 experts willing to share some knowledge?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
I have a friend who has a client that needed their 2003 Exchange server migrated to a new 2010 server. My friend did a back-asswards way of getting things running vs the standard method. I've been able to fix everything else except for the public folders.

The 2 systems are not on the same network/domain and could never see each other so everything has been done manually.

I do have an Acronis image of the old server that allows me to mount the image so there is access to the data that was on the drives. There is access to the old server (just not as easy).

What can I do about recovering/migrating the public folders.

If chatting on Gtalk is easier than working things out on here, please feel free to Gtalk with me. My username is shepscrook

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure 2010 got rid of public folders. (Thank goodness too.)

The only way I have ever migrated public folders is by doing a swing and in that scenario both exchange servers are on the same network and can see each other. If as you say, in your case, they cannot see each other, I don't know of a way to get the data from the old to the new. Is it a great deal of data? Is entering it manually possible?

Yeah, I'm thinking I have to some how get that 2003 server onto the domain. Every time we've tried... it's failed.

You can use Outlook and Export/Import them to a PST file. You will have to fix the permissions after the fact though. Depending on how large they are, you may need to create several PST files, but I'd recommend doing that anyways if you're dealing with a lot of them.

Well, the owner of the company has over 18k emails in his inbox. I tried to export to a PST and it was going to take over 30 hours and 12 hours later, still hadn't changed how long it would take.

Well, the owner of the company has over 18k emails in his inbox. I tried to export to a PST and it was going to take over 30 hours and 12 hours later, still hadn't changed how long it would take.

I was referring to exporting of Public Folders to a PST using File > Open & Export > Import/Export (in Outlook 2010/2013) and not Copy/Paste (the estimated time given sounds like this). Though 18K emails shouldn't take that long unless you're talking about quite a few gigabytes. Even then I still wouldn't expect it to take 30 hours. I've migrated more email across the internet faster than that...

I would look at disabling file system and possibly Exchange level antivirus while performing this as you will be scanning each item as it is imported and that can slow things down quite a bit. Also please make sure you have the proper antivirus exceptions in place for Exchange & Windows within the file system antivirus.

I have performed a 20+GB import of public folders from another company in less than a day.

How big is your public folder database? I use ontrack to extract stuff from edb to pst or straight to the new public folder database itself

I did a dry run converting SBS 2003 server to SBS 2011 without a problem. That included migrating Exchange 2003 to 2010.

Do be prepared for Exchange complaining about corrupt items in users' folders. Microsoft has a migration guide but I believe it only applies to SBS with Exchange migrations, not "Exchange only" migration.

You could try using Exmerge instead of Outlook, it'll probably run faster since it isn't Outlook. I've never used it to dump public folders so I don't know whether it supports doing that or not.

Export to a network drive or something should hepl speed alot, i deal with mailboxes upto 5Gig in size..dam horders, and i have not had a single pst backup take that long..

Well, the problem is that the server is NOT on site for the owner. I'm going to try an EDB to PST program . Any suggestions?

I think the quickest way would be the EDB extract if the software allows it - look at OnTrack as I don't think the Stellar version does public folders.

Failing that just export from outlook and import in. I would suspect either way though permissions issues will need to be edited and pushed out from the top levels. You might be better moving them to a shared mailbox as it makes life much easier.

Also just as an aside. MS have been trying to kill of Public Folders for years. But 2013 has changed its way of dealing with PF's into a easier to migrate mailbox. Plus they have now allowed Public Folders in Office 365, so the end might not be as close as we would like.

Back