Any good Coop games out there?

spydermonkey

2[H]4U
one of the reasons the first halo was so fun was the addition of the coop mode. one of the only coop games ive played over lan was operation flashpoint with missions made in the map editor. also, the delta force game series was fun. anyway, any suggestions on good PC coop games, and what reason do developers give for not including coop(eg. halo for pc)

swat4 coop will be nice
splinter cell chaos theory coop will be nice

both about a month away though.

coop can be a lot of work for the developer. a basic example of some extra work they have to do would be getting AI to consider 2 player entities to attack instead of 1.

Well, the reason for not having co-op on a pc is simply for the fact that there really isnt much of a market for it. Especially when you compare it to console games.

HALO has a co-op mode??????????????

OMG!!!!! I'll hafta check that out when I get home!!!!

Any of the Serious Sam games.

Uhh... Apocalyptica, but it wasn't very fun.

huxley said:
Well, the reason for not having co-op on a pc is simply for the fact that there really isnt much of a market for it. Especially when you compare it to console games.

I'd like to see where you collect your "facts". I disagree. Most people I've talked with love COOP and would love to see more. The problem is that developers choose to focus on vanilla MP modes because it would take actual thought and effort to code the AI or script sequences.

Anyway, give Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising a shot

wfalcon said:
I'd like to see where you collect your "facts". I disagree. Most people I've talked with love COOP and would love to see more. The problem is that developers choose to focus on vanilla MP modes because it would take actual thought and effort to code the AI or script sequences.

Most people you talk to are pretty serious gamers. The simple fact of the matter is that PC co-op isnt nearly as popular as console co-op. When they know people will buy the game anyway why add the co-op? We have hard enough time getting good co-op games on console much less pc.

spydermonkey said:
lol, thought i detected some sarcasm there. anyway, isnt joint operations pay per month?

Nope. Sure isn't. I play it and the expansion quite a bit.

Expansion is much better than the original. Hell, even the original is what Battlefield should've been. Escalation has more vehicles and weapons, too.

Originally Posted by huxley

wfalcon said:

RGR that Falcon. Most PC gamers I know love CO-OP.

And there are quite a few games that feature co-op already. Ghost Recon, Ravenshield, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Il2 Sturmovik. There a re quite a few really, those are what come to mind first since I have the most experience playing them.

I think co-op is a blast and will be a major part of gaming in the coming future.The AI is a problem sometimes. But nothing worse than what you already see in a SP game.

System Shock 2 probably has the best Coop on the PC, Second would go to Serious Sam or Doom (Originals).

huxley said:
All opinion and no substance as usual Hux.
:rolleyes:

The most fun I ever had gaming was with seven other guys going coop through the entire GR campaign. :drool:

Edit: add info

Yes the main site is't worth a crap but the gaming forum is pretty good,

Good co-op games for PC

Ghost Recon coop is great. There is also three expansions which will keep you occupied for a while.

digitalman said:
All opinion and no substance as usual Hux.
:rolleyes:

The most fun I ever had gaming was with seven other guys going coop through the entire GR campaign. :drool:

Edit: add info

Yes the main site is't worth a crap but the gaming forum is pretty good,

Good co-op games for PC
Oh I believe that 100%. I am not saying there is not a market I am simply saying there is much more of a market for co-op gaming on the console. A 30 dollar controller vs. a pc. I am not trying to start a huge debate and there isnt even any research done (that I could find) regarding the level of co-op players on pc vs. console.

SarverSystems said:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I seriously didn't know HALO had a co-op mode.

Don't think there's coop in the PC version.

My buddies and I play DC against bots in LANs since our skill levels have a huuuge range. I tend to dominate the air and play very well against ground units, so even the ground pounders who are good get rocked by a missile from halfway across the map. :D

Its tons of fun playing against bots for mindless killing pleasure, we'll do stunts too, and we'll also hop on a public server, all join one side, and just decimate since we can use tactics and communicate clearly and play as a team.

Serious Sam is fun.
Dungeon Siege can be entertaining for a while.
There's a Mechwarrior 4 coop mod too.

huxley said:
Oh I believe that 100%. I am not saying there is not a market I am simply saying there is much more of a market for co-op gaming on the console. A 30 dollar controller vs. a pc. I am not trying to start a huge debate and there isnt even any research done (that I could find) regarding the level of co-op players on pc vs. console.

I think that's the problem. Nobody wants to spend cash on research. They stick with what works - the cookie cutter FPS with DM/TDM/CTF modes. Co-op has a broad appeal, as all levels of gamers can participate and not feel as though they are getting steam-rolled. Right now, Joint Ops with the Escalation pack is probably one of the more popular games at the large LAN events that I go to.

I noticed that the upcoming Silent Hunter III is supposed to have Co-op, so that one is definately going on my must-buy list.

wfalcon said:
I think that's the problem. Nobody wants to spend cash on research. They stick with what works - the cookie cutter FPS with DM/TDM/CTF modes. Co-op has a broad appeal, as all levels of gamers can participate and not feel as though they are getting steam-rolled. Right now, Joint Ops with the Escalation pack is probably one of the more popular games at the large LAN events that I go to.

I noticed that the upcoming Silent Hunter III is supposed to have Co-op, so that one is definately going on my must-buy list.
Yes, co-op is good I agree. Typically co-op is pretty much lan only right? I just don't see companies spending the extra money making co-op for the pc because it seems people will buy the games regardless since they are so used to not having a co-op mode. On console co-op has been around since the days of nintendo and people seem to expect it and to look for it a lot more than they would on PC.

Personally, I would probably play a co-op pc game but I do prefer the good ol' console co-op on the ps2/xbox. I play Halo with my friends, played through Medal of Honor with my brother, played through Champions of Norrath with my roomate. It just seems that the demand is there.

Heck, even when you go to google and search for the best pc co-op games it pulls up an xbox co op gaming list first

http://www.google.com/search?source...LD,GGLD:2004-50,GGLD:en&q=best+co+op+pc+games

I agree that more co op for everything would be best but I am simply trying to be realistic.

huxley said:
Yes, co-op is good I agree. Typically co-op is pretty much lan only right? I just don't see companies spending the extra money making co-op for the pc because it seems people will buy the games regardless since they are so used to not having a co-op mode. On console co-op has been around since the days of nintendo and people seem to expect it and to look for it a lot more than they would on PC.

Personally, I would probably play a co-op pc game but I do prefer the good ol' console co-op on the ps2/xbox. I play Halo with my friends, played through Medal of Honor with my brother, played through Champions of Norrath with my roomate. It just seems that the demand is there.

Heck, even when you go to google and search for the best pc co-op games it pulls up an xbox co op gaming list first

http://www.google.com/search?source...LD,GGLD:2004-50,GGLD:en&q=best+co+op+pc+games

I agree that more co op for everything would be best but I am simply trying to be realistic.

I don't know that I would say that it's LAN only. I remember playing lots of Serious Sam coop online when it first came out. I play lots of Joint Ops coop online now. I intend to play Silent Hunter III coop online when it comes out. (Will probably have to, because all the LANs I go to tend to be FPS only.) Anyway, I think another appeal to coop is a lack of cheaters. Many cheaters seem to gravitate towards the non-coop scene. (See Counter-strike)

I can see why developers put it consoles more - with four players in the same room on the same system, it's cheaper and more likely than someone buying four computers. I'm simply saying that the PC coop market is largely untapped and unjustly ignored.

Yes, but the thing I am saying is that it is untapped and ignored because it hasn't been a stable in the PC scene. People don't expect co-op in pc games so why spend the extra time and money inputting it?

Where is this Co-op mode HALO you spreak so highly of? I was unable to find it on my HALO game.

SarverSystems said:
Where is this Co-op mode HALO you spreak so highly of? I was unable to find it on my HALO game.
Do you have the X-Box or the PC version. Only the X-Box version has the Co-op mode I believe.

Bane said:
Do you have the X-Box or the PC version. Only the X-Box version has the Co-op mode I believe.
the person made it sound like the pc had co - op

People say game developers are running outta ideas... Yet they don't mess with Co-op mode anymore due to them thinking its unpopular? Hello shoot the guy in the suit who claims he knows about games and get in a real gamer in these places and make stuff fun again. Co Op Pac Man here we come!!!!!

I really enjoy the Co-Op in Ghost Recon, RB6-3, JOTR/JOE, and I'm suprised no one mentioned VietCong and the XP Fist Alpha.

H&D2 with the Xpansion Pack is fun as well, but no one hardly plays that :(

The Rainbow Six series can be some fun co-op, same goes for similiar stuff like Ghost Recon etc.

huxley said:

That's the argument of the developers, but I have yet to see a PC gamer that isn't pissed of about the lack of coop games around for PC.

SarverSystems said:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I seriously didn't know HALO had a co-op mode.

Nope. Console only. A lot of expectant PC players were pissed when they found out. Doom3 PC didn't get the coop mode either :mad:

You should try Serious Sam 2nd. For a change from CS, five of us rented it and it was five full hours of non-stop screaming. Halfway through the valley and not a monster in sight, then we hear a rumble getting louder and louder. 10 seconds later, we get slammed by a solid wall of those skeleton thingies. It was "F**KOMFGSH*T!@##!$!@##!!!!!" all the way to the end.

Fuuuun ^_^

you guys seem to forget Warcraft/Starcraft

I'd assume most RTSes have coop, but I haven't played many.

wfalcon said:

This is one of the main reasons that I am going to jump on this game when it comes out (it has gone gold). That, and the dynamic campaign will make this game a permanent resident on my system.

Munka said:
That's the argument of the developers, but I have yet to see a PC gamer that isn't pissed of about the lack of coop games around for PC.
I don't really think it has an affect on their sales though.

Back