any good freeware pdf apps

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
any good tools similar to acrobat that let us modify and create pdfs for free?

I use foxit
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

They have a free and paid one, I just have the free one, but I find it a lot faster than acrobat and it doesn't have to update every other day. Not sure if you can create files from the free one as I have never had a need to do that, but it's definitely worth a try.

only the foxit reader is free, looks like the creator is $30 per license x 50 clients = chunk of change my boss won't approve

I use to use Foxit. But it has too many problems with pdf associations. Switched to PDF-XChange PDF Viewer and its way better.

Apparently no one is reading your post OP.. lol

To answer your question, off the top of my I don't know of any. I'll take a look around though.

You can use a PDF printer like Bullzip to bounce PDFs from a text editor. This won't exactly help you with the modifying of existing PDFs bit, but you can at least create PDF documents without Acrobat.

I have a suggestion, but unfortunately, just like phide's suggestion, it too is not going to do everything you want, since you mention modifying PDFs. On one of my machines I have "doPDF" to create PDF files. It actually installs as a PDF printer driver and you create a document using Notepad, MS Word, whatever, and then click print. Instead of actually picking your printer you pick doPDF and it takes your file and converts it to a completely searchable PDF.

So it is a bit limited in what it can do, but you can create your average PDF quite easily... and for free.

I used to use Foxit, but even it has become way too bloated over the years. Believe it or not, Adobe Reader isn't nearly as bad as it used to be (aside from the annoying updater, but that's only when there's an update, which is fairly rare). Since going back to adobe reader, I've had a lot less PDF-related issues.

Ideally all browsers would have a built-in PDF viewer.

You can use a PDF printer like Bullzip to bounce PDFs from a text editor. This won't exactly help you with the modifying of existing PDFs bit, but you can at least create PDF documents without Acrobat.

CutePDF is another....similar to Bullzip....create in something like Word or another program and it's seen as a PDF print driver to save as.

Also you can create PDFs in MS Office, download and install Microsofts free "SaveAsPDF" plugin for word '07.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...11-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041&displaylang=en

only the foxit reader is free, looks like the creator is $30 per license x 50 clients = chunk of change my boss won't approve

Sounds like your boss doesn't understand business very well or you don't really have that great of a need to create pdfs in your office.

It's simple really, are the pdfs your going to create going to generate more than $1500 worth of business?

If not then you don't really need to be making pdfs, if so then maybe your boss shouldn't be the boss.

I used to use Foxit, but even it has become way too bloated over the years. Believe it or not, Adobe Reader isn't nearly as bad as it used to be (aside from the annoying updater, but that's only when there's an update, which is fairly rare). Since going back to adobe reader, I've had a lot less PDF-related issues.

Ideally all browsers would have a built-in PDF viewer.

Agreed. I was all for Foxit during the Adobe 7|8 days, but Adobe 9 actually isn't that bad as far as bloat/load times. Foxit is still faster, but like you said it has seemingly become somewhat bloated and doesn't integrate as well (probably because I use the portable version rather than the installer). I still tend to use Foxit or PDF-XChange on my own machine due to their portable nature, but I've gotta say that Adobe 9 is an improvement compared to the last couple of versions and I always install it on client PCs because I know they are willing to accept the minor speed trade-off and would rather not deal with any other possible issues that might arise from using a non-Adobe PDF viewer.

Back