Any good tank combat simulators?

LordBritish

2[H]4U
Does anyone know of any good realistic tank combat simulators ?

No, BF4 does not count :)

Seems like realistic sims are a forgotten genre nowadays.

Look at games like t72 vs tiger etc..

Steel beasts still has an active developer

Remember this game?

Game_screenshot,_gunners_view,_m1_tank_platoon,_ibm_pc_vga.png

Decent game for back then.

Remember this game?

Decent game for back then.

Good ol' M1 Tank Platoon. Tons of hours lost playing that one.

For realism you are either looking at Steel Beasts or Steel Armor. The former is expensive for a full license and the latter has a steep learning curve and very narrow focus. You can buy a time-limited license for Steel Beasts if you want to try it out. It runs about $10 for a single month or you can try to find someone willing to grant you temporary access to one of their extra licenses.

Last edited:
I'll throw in ArmA 3 as a possibility...not just tanks and not a perfect sim, but some reasonably realistic tank combat.

Not just looks pretty good - SOUNDS really good. Most games, including ARMA, don't sound realistic at all.

Yeah Steel Beasts is pretty sweet as a Tank Sim. It would be cool if they actually brought the graphics up to date. But for the price you really have to want to play a tank sim to pick it up.

It is cool that they have full M2A2 support.

Don't forget, they've updated Steel Beasts to 4.0 as of August. From what I've seen, the graphics, especially terrain, got a good bump and some of the particle effects are much improved.

Does anyone know of any good realistic tank combat simulators ?

No, BF4 does not count :)

Seems like realistic sims are a forgotten genre nowadays.

ARMA 3 is about as close to modern-day military simulation you can get. I believe they have tanks if you want to give it a shot.

ARMA 3 is a great milsim, but mainly from an infantry perspective not an overly good one for armor as it is still hit point based.

Honestly Steel Beasts looks pretty good from a military sim point of view. It's more than just an armor simulator - They have you commanding basically an entire armored battalion including infantry, helicopters, etc. It seems like it's worth the time/money investment in the long run.

ArmA3 is not very realistic when it comes to vehicles. Helicopters are even worse. This question was asked here recently and these are the two best current tank sims you can get now besides Steel Beasts, which is way overpriced.

Steel Armor: Blaze of War 35% off right now

https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SFURY/steel-fury-kharkov-1942
Steel Fury - Kharkov 1942 this one is WWII tanks

Steel Armor is the better of the two and is what you should buy if only buying one.

But be warned, the documentation and tutorials for Steel Armor are...lacking...from the reviews I've read. It is also single-player only.

I wouldn't say steel beasts is overpriced given the level of complexity and realism. Steel armor is a far more involved simulation with just about every aspect of mechanized/armored warfare. It's a full scale simulator that the military uses to train commanders. Steel Armor is a great simulator but is only simulating just that one aspect and even then it seems like steel beasts is better.

Red Orchastra 2 tank mode. Too bad the selection is crap and nobody plays tank mode online.

But be warned, the documentation and tutorials for Steel Armor are...lacking...from the reviews I've read. It is also single-player only.

Ever play the war strategy game Operation Star? The strat part of Steel Armor is based on that but with a tank simulator incorporated into it. If you know how to play one then you know how to play the other.

Steel Beasts requires a stupid USB dongle to play it and is over $100 to buy. I will never buy it for that reason alone. I do not support draconian DRM. I have the very first Steel Beasts but that doesn't even use 3D accelerated graphics.

Ever play the war strategy game Operation Star? The strat part of Steel Armor is based on that but with a tank simulator incorporated into it. If you know how to play one then you know how to play the other.

Steel Beasts requires a stupid USB dongle to play it and is over $100 to buy. I will never buy it for that reason alone. I do not support draconian DRM. I have the very first Steel Beasts but that doesn't even use 3D accelerated graphics.

It uses that level of DRM because they mostly sell it as a government contract. Any sale made for consumer use is just an added bonus.

Well, I'm still not buying it. And I doubt the government has to use a stupid USB dongle either.

Back