Any ill effect by slowing water pump?

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
Hi,

I have H50 that I'm going to use but heard from many sources that pump makes ticking noise. I originally bought H50 and exchange for another one so I can confirm this. Then I came across thread in SPCR that some people used speedfan(I'm assuming you can do same with fan controller) to slow the pump which then they said it was dead quiet. Will there be any ill effect by not running the pump in full speed that it's supposed to run?

TIA

Unless things slow down to a point where the water is barely moving you shouldn't notice any major changes in the cooling performance. Temps may change slightly, but I would think that the water would still be moving fast enough to transfer the heat out effectively.

always 2 ways to look at this, never sure which is correct

fast moving water has less time in the block to pickup heat and less tiem in the rad to dump it

slow moving water has more time to soak up the heat and dump the heat off in the rad

youd think it would balance itself out as long as its not too extreme in one direction or the other.

I would talk to corsair tech support. Unless specifically designed for it you risk overheating the pump and burning out the windings. I imagine the load (flow resistance in the loop) is light and it might not be a problem but an email/phone call would make sure.

always 2 ways to look at this, never sure which is correct
- fast moving water has less time in the block to pickup heat and less tiem in the rad to dump it
- slow moving water has more time to soak up the heat and dump the heat off in the rad

youd think it would balance itself out as long as its not too extreme in one direction or the other.
It will almost hit the same balance.
Faster movement is generally a tiny bit more efficient, because:
1) The faster moving water is more turbulent, which improves its thermal connection to the inner walls and thereby the heat transfer to/from the water.
2) In the radiator the ability to give off heat to the surrounding air grows exponentially with the temperature difference, and the cooler water near the outlet when using a slow pump will give off marginally less heat than the by comparison warmer water with a faster pump.

Then again, there's one counter argument as well: The faster pump will itself give off more heat to the water than the slower pump.

In the end, the typical difference in temperature between a slow and a fast water flow is about one degree.

Cheers
Olle

Back