Any information on Devil's Canyon (Haswell Refresh)?

Armisael

Weaksauce
The haswell refresh was officially announced some three weeks ago, with the promise of meaningful improvements for enthusiasts (ie, better heat dissipation properties). The last I heard, it's scheduled to come out mid-year 2014, which is starting to look close enough that I'd expect some leaks.

Does anyone have any more information on these? My information is pretty much all from the short anandtech article on them (http://www.anandtech.com/show/7873/new-haswell-k-overclocking-enhancements), which really just makes me want to know more about them.

I'm paddling the same boat. So much I'd like to know about this refresh, especially the thermal material being used under the IHS. I sure do hope they went back to solder!

Looks like Devil's Canyon MAY be coming out on Monday April 14th. I'm more curious about the lineup of z97 boards.

Looks like Devil's Canyon MAY be coming out on Monday April 14th. I'm more curious about the lineup of z97 boards.

Where did you read that? Everything I saw talked about June or later but that may have just been talking about Haswell-E.

It's hard to get more detailed than that. Thanks - that was exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see.

I googled yesterday and saw a Digitimes article that said that when Intel consulted with motherboard manufacturers etc. they decided they'd release the chipset and CPU refresh on May 10, 2014. (Oddly, it had been May 11, 2014, then temporarily brought up to April then pushed back again to May.)

Seriously tempted to see if I can sell my ~4 month old 1150 build and go for a Devils Canyon board/cpu...

The K's won't be out until July or something probably.

From what I have been seeing it looks like the K's will come out in June and might possibly only work with Z97 boards and not backwards compatible with Z87 boards like the non K's are. I have seen this from a few places but I have no Idea if its true or not.

From what I have been seeing it looks like the K's will come out in June and might possibly only work with Z97 boards and not backwards compatible with Z87 boards like the non K's are. I have seen this from a few places but I have no Idea if its true or not.

Devil's Canyon is launching on June 2nd..

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devils_canyon_and_pentium_k_launch_june_2nd_2014.html

And many series 8 boards will work with Haswell refresh chips after a BIOS upgrade (not sure if K's would be any different?)..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040782063&postcount=18

Excellent! 4790 here I come!

(Assuming ASRock updates their UEFI.... right ASRock, right?!)

So what's the difference between the chips launching on May 11 and the ones launching in June?

Devil's Canyon = K?

I've seen this said several times but I haven't had time to find official word.

May 11 includes the following:
Intel Haswell Refresh SKUs Cores/Threads Core Clock Cache Price ($)
Celeron G1840 2 / 2 2.8 GHz 2 MB $42
Celeron G1840T 2 / 2 2.5 GHz 2 MB $42
Celeron G1850 2 / 2 2.9 GHz 2 MB $52
Pentium G3240 2 / 2 3.1 GHz 3 MB $64
Pentium G3240T 2 / 2 2.7 GHz 3 MB $64
Pentium G3440 2 / 2 3.3 GHz 3 MB $75
Pentium G3440T 2 / 2 2.8 GHz 3 MB $75
Pentium G3450 2 / 2 3.4 GHz 3 MB $86
Core i3-4150 2 / 4 3.5 GHz 3 MB $117
Core i3-4150T 2 / 4 3 GHz 3 MB $117
Core i3-4350 2 / 4 3.6 GHz 4 MB $138
Core i3-4350T 2 / 4 3.1 GHz 4 MB $138
Core i3-4360 2 / 4 3.7 GHz 4 MB $149
Core i5-4460 4 / 4 3.2 GHz 6 MB $182
Core i5-4460S 4 / 4 2.9 GHz 6 MB $182
Core i5-4590 4 / 4 3.3 GHz 6 MB $192
Core i5-4590S 4 / 4 3 GHz 6 MB $192
Core i5-4590T 4 / 4 2 GHz 6 MB $192
Core i5-4690 4 / 4 3.5 GHz 6 MB $213
Core i5-4690S 4 / 4 3.2 GHz 6 MB $213
Core i5-4690T 4 / 4 2.5 GHz 6 MB $213
Core i7-4785T 4 / 8 2.2 GHz 8 MB $303
Core i7-4790 4 / 8 3.6 GHz 8 MB $303
Core i7-4790S 4 / 8 3.2 GHz 8 MB $303
Core i7-4790T 4 / 8 2.7 GHz 8 MB $303

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-devil-s-canyon-launching-june-2014/

I presume Devil's Canyon codename will only apply to the i5 and i7 K SKUs.

Devil's Canyon = K?

I've seen this said several times but I haven't had time to find official word.

Yes, Devil's Canyon is the unlocked K processor(s), though Intel hasn't specifically said if it will be all K SKUs during the Haswell refresh or not. From their press release, I think it's safe to assume that they're not referring to it being exclusive to the upcoming Extreme models, since those will have a separate launch window.

So it's possible that Devil's Canyon is both 4690k and 4790k, only 4790k, or an entirely different processor (maybe 4791k Extra Special TIM Edition?).

Intel previewed a special unlocked 4th gen Intel® Core™ processor codenamed "Devil's Canyon". Due in mid-2014, it includes improved thermal interface and CPU packaging materials that are expected to enable significant enhancements to performance and overclocking capabilities.

The word "special" and then "processor" in the singular form kinda makes me wonder. Guess the devil's in the details at the moment (bad pun, lol) :D

I wonder what kind of IPC improvements we can expect to see here. Personally I'll wait for x99 but I hope to see a x99 itx form factor boards.

I wonder what kind of IPC improvements we can expect to see here. Personally I'll wait for x99 but I hope to see a x99 itx form factor boards.

I would be shocked to see anything more than trivial IPC improvements - this is a haswell refresh (with slightly different packaging), not a new microarchitecture.

I would be shocked to see anything more than trivial IPC improvements - this is a haswell refresh (with slightly different packaging), not a new microarchitecture.

Would be a major slap in the face to add the solder back and then charge a bunch for it. The name "Devil's Canyon" makes me think that's what they are doing.

Would be a major slap in the face to add the solder back and then charge a bunch for it. The name "Devil's Canyon" makes me think that's what they are doing.

Nah, the real slap in the face would be if they sold Devil's Canyon at a reasonable price (comparatively), and it had noticeable temp improvements, and then they make it the only Haswell refresh chip not compatible with Z87.

The Devil's Canyon being Z97-only rumor/conjecture seems to originate from these 2 articles (one reading into the footnote of a leaked slide, the other comparing the pin layout from 30-feet away)

Dunno. Seems possible, if only as an attempt to push new boards.. would be a real dick move on Intel's part, though.

Do the new refresh chips (non Devil's Canyon) have updated integrated GPUs? I thought I read somewhere that they did, but I can't find it now.

Nah, the real slap in the face would be if they sold Devil's Canyon at a reasonable price (comparatively), and it had noticeable temp improvements, and then they make it the only Haswell refresh chip not compatible with Z87.

The Devil's Canyon being Z97-only rumor/conjecture seems to originate from these 2 articles (one reading into the footnote of a leaked slide, the other comparing the pin layout from 30-feet away)

Dunno. Seems possible, if only as an attempt to push new boards.. would be a real dick move on Intel's part, though.
Well, that will definitely be a dick move by Intel if they lock the processors down by chipset, especially at the microcode level. It would be even worse if Intel were to collude with OEM board makers to do this as well.

Two different processor models with the same socket and pin layout, and two different chipsets, both processors should work on either chipset. There is no other reason besides greed to only allow the Haswell K-series refresh work on the Z97 chipset but not on the Z87 boards.

It'd be the equivalent of saying AMD locked out Socket AM3+ FX processors to work only with the 990-series chipset and non-FX processors can work on both the 990 and 970 chipsets.

Let's hope this isn't true. But, then again, this is Intel we're talking about.

Well, that will definitely be a dick move by Intel if they lock the processors down by chipset, especially at the microcode level. It would be even worse if Intel were to collude with OEM board makers to do this as well.

Two different processor models with the same socket and pin layout, and two different chipsets, both processors should work on either chipset. There is no other reason besides greed to only allow the Haswell K-series refresh work on the Z97 chipset but not on the Z87 boards.

It'd be the equivalent of saying AMD locked out Socket AM3+ FX processors to work only with the 990-series chipset and non-FX processors can work on both the 990 and 970 chipsets.

Let's hope this isn't true. But, then again, this is Intel we're talking about.

I am pretty sure it is true. I thought it had already been confirmed. All first gen Haswell procs will work on z97 but Devil's Canyon will not be backwards compatible with z87. Haswell non-K refresh has been confirmed to be compatible with z87.

I figured all the Haswell refresh chips would be locked into z97. It doesn't seem like the ultimate insult, really. I'll be pissed if they charge crazy money for Devil's Canyon, though, because it will be the equivalent of taking the chocolate out of chocolate milk but keep the price the same, then adding it back in and raising the price.

Since I did find a Haswell I'm happy with, I'll be looking for a z97 board to throw it in, but I recognize some people will be wanting a better chip to put in their z87.

Back