Any last minute dremeling techniques I should know about before....

fLiPaChu

Gawd
cutting this out of my Lian-Li PC68USB side panel? Let me know what you guys think too, and if you guys understand the symbolism.. well i don't really care if you guys understand it, it means something to me! :). But alas, any last minute ancient chinese dremeling techniques I should know about when doing corners, straights, etc? Must.. be.. perfect..

flip

I know it looks like a half-life symbol... but it's supposed to be a 'K' letter, and with the crown it's like "King"

Dremel = Patience.
Masking tape over where you are going to cut.
Think about a sabre/jig saw for the long straight cuts

That is all grasshopper.

Also, to add to the above: let the dremel cut, don't force it through the material.

I second the motion for the jig saw on the long cuts, you can save yourself a whole bunch of time if you have a pretty steady hand. I keep a shop vac handy to suck up the shavings so I don't accidently scratch anything.

i might add that before i sharpie'd that surface, it is 3 layers of masking tape thick, someone gave me that suggestion a while ago, so there it is... also, i might only have a dremel to work with, i'll ask my neighbor for suggestions though. anymore thoughts! i'm getting anxious ;)

1.apply minmal pressure to teh dremel, just enough to keep it on track.
2. dont put the blade in the metal half way and just push it, pick up the blade and make a new cut for every thing
3. patience
4. on the straight aways use the big disks
5. patience
6. on the turns use either teh shitty regular disks or the heavy duty ones (#420)
7. cut inside the lines
8. patience
9. use the sanding disks for teh dremel and needle files to clean up edges

hey guys, here's what the main part looks like after an hour.. mainly some concerns about the corners.. following brad's advice too, but what ya'll think?

flip

found out i'm not too shabby with a dremel, but hell i cut my exhaust pipe of my car a month ago with it ;D. i know you guys love the flower design of the ironing board cloth. =o

bump, i was just looking at the rivet thread, would rivets do well to secure my 1/8" acrylic to the backside of this aluminum?

flip

Do you have a rivet gun?

Screws will probably work too.

Dremeling tips helped me out, too...thanx.

fLiPaChu said:
i might add that before i sharpie'd that surface, it is 3 layers of masking tape thick, someone gave me that suggestion a while ago, so there it is... also, i might only have a dremel to work with, i'll ask my neighbor for suggestions though. anymore thoughts! i'm getting anxious ;)

Exactly, 3+ layers is great if you screw up a lot... not that I would know ;o

Actually there IS one more tip...sorry if its a little too late...well you can actually use a drill with a large enough bit to drill a hole right where your rounded corners are...this way you don't have to use the dremel to cut round the corners...hope this helps!
have fun!

Jaden said:
Exactly, 3+ layers is great if you screw up a lot... not that I would know ;o

I've "never" messed up a cut on a case that I had to hide by changing the cut some... really.... I have no idea what you are talking about.

;)

Moses, you're right, i've never actually thought about that, you know i could also dremel perpendicular to the corner, like many cuts this way \\\\\\ (if you know what i mean) and then cut those down using a smaller dremel bit right? but hm.. i might look into the drill thing, keep those suggestions coming, like how to cut into the crown :\.

flip

Back