any need to OC?

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
just ordered a e8400 with 4gb corsair memory and a 8800gt
my motherboard is GA-p35 dsrL ordered it from Mwave so its going to come pre assembled in an antec fulltower with a 650Wpsu and ill be running vista 64 bit
my monitior is a 22 lcd samsung

my question is i really only play LOTRO right now i bought this rig so i could play with all the eyecandy on @1680x1050. even at stock speed i should be pretty much maxing out this vidcard so oc right now would not help me with gamin exp?

was thinkin in 18 months when i replace my 8800gt with something better would be a good time to oc ?, thoughts?

Need and wants gets blurred together in life a lot. Its like saying do I need a Lexus GS350 or am I good with a Toyota Camry SE. You might not need it but If you want to experiment and can replace parts in worst case scenario give it a try. You might be happy with your overclock or you might not notice any difference to care.

That's a good choice of components for your new build, you will be surprised how much of a performance boost you will get over your current setup. Once you've tried it out, you will know if it's fast enough at stock speeds. That setup should be fine at stock clocks BUT..... I have been overclocking all my builds for several years now, even though the latest cpu's and video cards are plenty fast enough for most games, I just do it anyway. Can't turn down a free performance boost, no matter how necessary it is.
Ask anyone who is into it, overclocking does become somewhat of an addiction, just look at all the threads on E8400's lately:cool:

You don't need to OC, and it won't give you any performance increase in games since they're all GPU-limited. Most people just do it for fun, so it's up to you whether or not you want to.

I have an E8400, and I dont game hardly at all.

However, in all honesty, there is little reason not to overclock nowadays, motherboards are so smart, CPUs are running cooler and cooler, and hey - it doesnt really cost anything.

Its nice for the extra speed (I DO do a lot of media encoding and programming), it has no (or minimal) cost increases, minimal risk, and as I said - there is some net gain.

Plus its fun :)

I have an E8400, and I dont game hardly at all.

However, in all honesty, there is little reason not to overclock nowadays, motherboards are so smart, CPUs are running cooler and cooler, and hey - it doesnt really cost anything.

Its nice for the extra speed (I DO do a lot of media encoding and programming), it has no (or minimal) cost increases, minimal risk, and as I said - there is some net gain.

Plus its fun :)
:cool::cool::cool:

ya i guess there is no reason to not set it as high as it the cpu can go without giving it more juice and give the vidcard a 5-10% boost aswell :)
has anyone ever ordered a prebuilt rig from mwave? id like to get them to use thermal paste at least lol

Back