Any Nehalem/i7 boxes from the big system integrators yet?

Kadath

Gawd
Debating the merits of building my own versus buying a fully integrated system, ala the XPS 630 etc, but so far I haven't heard of any of the major vendors putting in i7 yet. Thoughts?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122687264332631733.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
The early selling continued Sunday in U.S. retail outlets and at manufacturers' Web sites. Participants include mainstream PC makers like Dell Inc., which is offering new systems priced at $949 to $3,699, and specialty makers of gaming systems such as Falcon Northwest, which is offering models from $2,495 to more than $8,000.

:drool: Core i7 system for $949. I can't wait for those to hit the outlet. ;)

edit: there's a deal for a Core i7 920/4GB/500GB XPS + 20" LCD for $999. So tempting... http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/xps_savings_event?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122687264332631733.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

:drool: Core i7 system for $949. I can't wait for those to hit the outlet. ;)

edit: there's a deal for a Core i7 920/4GB/500GB XPS + 20" LCD for $999. So tempting... http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/xps_savings_event?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Hot damn, that's cheap. I don't think I could build a Core i7 system for less even without the monitor. Not to mention that comes with a copy of Vista too. Problem with Dell is though, no overclocking. :(

I'm tempted to get one too, but I'm going to wait until the next round of GPUs hit.

With that dell actually you can increase to the 23" screen for the same price. (just go to customize)

I haven't decided if I want to build my own again yet either. I really like warranties and not having to deal with the support myself since I need to listen to people whine all day at work with that shit.

Anyway, Velocity Micro, Alienware, Falcon-NW, Ibuypower, Cyberpower, Dell, Puget, they all have i7 gaming systems available now. I haven't looked at any others yet. The price is steep for most, cheapest I can get out of most is $2500-$3000 with the lowest end 2.6 processor, 3gb of ram, and a GTX 280 with 2 year warranty on most..options vary of course but thats the general range. Gateway makes a nice cheapie sold at Best Buy for $1249 but the video card blows.

Puget I'm not really into because it uses Kingston Value Ram-- vomit. Dell seems to be very overpriced once you add some options..falcon is well..falcon heh. Velocity isn't bad, but it turns me off that they sell computers to Best Buy/CC/Micro Center, etc..I can't see them having "high quality" when they mass produce half their products. And Alienware is overpriced and the case is cheap plastic garbage.

So yeah..I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I'm in the same boat as you right now.

Problem with Dell is though, no overclocking. :(
Yeah. There must be pads to select the base clock selection, but the x58 chipset will probably only support 133MHz for now. Older Dells could be overclocked with pin/pad mods in some cases. There were a couple of systems that worked with software overclocking utilities.

I'd upgrade to Core i7 now if there was a $150 board. Even the ECS board is $250. :D

Best video card is a 4850..which is meh :mad:
Hey! That's the fastest video card I have. It's pretty decent. :p

You could always add your own, but a power hungry video card might require a PSU upgrade. Plus that system is microATX.

Hey! That's the fastest video card I have. It's pretty decent. :p

You could always add your own, but a power hungry video card might require a PSU upgrade. Plus that system is microATX.

Not much overhead with that PSU and the form factor. I only play usually Everquest 2 on my PC anyway so that card is probably good enough for me too, since most of my time is on Wii/Xbox.

Not a bad price at all for $1418, including a 24 inch monitor. I threw in 1 year accident incase I get mad :)

PROCESSORS Intel® Core™i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit edit
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd HW WRTY, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis, 24x7 Phone Support edit
MEMORY 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITORS Dell 24 inch Consumer™ S2409W Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand edit
VIDEO CARD 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Laser Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive or Media Reader Included edit
MODEM No Modem Option edit
WIRELESS Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet edit

that can't be right. 2GB of DDR3 is almost worth $100, so tehre's no room for dells $80 windfall in it.

Puget I'm not really into because it uses Kingston Value Ram-- vomit.

LOL...just ask for a different brand of RAM. Always remember that we'll customize any system for you. We'll put in whatever you'd like, as long as we can get it to work well in testing.

I wasn't aware that value RAM was what we offered with that system, so I've notified the product manager so that we can offer more options up front. That way it will be less confusing.

Preciate all who made suggestions for me, I wound up taking the easy way out and got an XPS:

They changed it so the upgraded video card was only another $50 so I finally bit. I tossed in a couple of upgrades tho and I'm fairly happy with the final price:

Studio XPS - Studio XPS, Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Total Price: $1,859.00

-- Intel® Core蒂i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)
-- 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs
-- Dell 24 inch Consumer蒂 S2409W Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand
-- 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850
-- 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
-- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
-- Single Drive: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
-- Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
-- No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
-- Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
-- No Productivity software pre-installed
-- McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months
-- 1Yr Ltd HW WRTY, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis, 24x7 Phone Support
-- Limited Time Offer: Free upgrade to SP2009W monitor!
- $290.00
-- Limited Time Offer: Free video card upgrade!
- $150.00
-- Receive 7% off your Member purchase

Subtotal: $1,319.67
Shipping and Handling: $29.99
Total: $1,444.14

Under $1450 after tax and shipping, including BluRay playback and got the Tri-channel memory by bumping it to 6 gigs. The bigger hard disk was probably the only real ripoff in the deal but I'd rather have the base system come with a big honking base drive for the OS and stuff and I will put all my media on other larger internal drives.

I'm almost kicking myself for missing it on the EPP site. $960 + tax shipped including a 23" LCD was too good to pass up.

I'm almost kicking myself for missing it on the EPP site. $960 + tax shipped including a 23" LCD was too good to pass up.

Prepare for more self-flagellation if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, especially if you prefer brick-and-mortar to e-tail:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...Id=abcat0501003&type=product&id=1218017465909

Surprisingly, five of the six closest BBs have this flamethrower in stock.

While e-tail rocks for savings, for instant gratification, nothing beats B&M (and I don't mean *baked beans*, either).

Back