Any new/bigger non SSDs to beat 1TB V-Raptor?

skypine27

Gawd
Ok, this may be a stupid/very small niche question...

But see sig:

Are there any new mechanical/hybrid HDs that are LARGER + faster than the 1.0TB WD Velociraptors? I know any SSD clobbers them. But curious if fast 2 or 3 TB mechanical drives are a dead concept.

I would like to swap out my 2 x 1.0 TB Raid 0 V-Raptor setup for something bigger, faster, and mechanical. Is this not ever going to exist? Or maybe the 5TBs coming in 2014 will be faster than the V-Raptors in most tasks?

Curious what you guys think.

Last edited:
Demand for 15K mechanical drives is pretty low. The Velociraptor drives were really only made possible because of Enterprise SAS drives. Now that high speed storage has moved to flash, the biggest demand from mechanical storage is capacity.

You say you want bigger, faster, and mechanical... I'm guessing you just mean you want bigger, faster, and cheaper than SSD? I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference between the Raptors and current 4TB drives.

@skypine27
Indeed the Raptor has the edge, but I understood that you wanted a compromise between speed and space, which the Barracuda fulfill.

You might get disappointed in waiting for high RPM larger drives. HDD manufacturers are struggling making them. In fact, Seagate has not put out yet a 4TB 7200 rpm Barracuda for that same reason.
If you shop for fast SAS drives, you will quickly notice how RPM drops the larger the disk.

The higher the density the slower the disk rotation required comes a certain point. Sequential throughput will increase with density, but access time will drop killing random I/O performance.

J and R has 3TB for $119
for the size, the price cant be beat.

Back