Any one here use Viper John??

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
Im sending my card to him next week. Its an X800XT-PE
Ive seen his work, so Im pretty excited about getting it back...
Anyone here have one of his cards??

A guy I have bought some stuff from, sativaman84 on [H], reccommended viperjohn to me while we were discussing various OC options for my computer. I have yet to personally use viperjohn, but sativaman84 sent him an x800xt and viperjohn got it to run stable at 603mhz core and 1206 mhz memory (which is considerably faster than my xt pe). Probably want to PM sativaman84 if you have more questions, the viperjohn xt is in his sig. Hope this helps.

MX2times said:
How much did you spend on this?
Nothing yet, I pay when its done..But its a lot :) I could have easily sold this card, then taken that money,plus what he charges and bought a newer card........ But I'm sticking with AGP for a while, so Its not a big deal..

yeh ask 2fresh...hes had 2 cards done by viper john...he made a sing 7800gtx go to about 9800 if i remember correctly :eek:

name said:
A guy I have bought some stuff from, sativaman84 on [H], reccommended viperjohn to me while we were discussing various OC options for my computer. I have yet to personally use viperjohn, but sativaman84 sent him an x800xt and viperjohn got it to run stable at 603mhz core and 1206 mhz memory (which is considerably faster than my xt pe). Probably want to PM sativaman84 if you have more questions, the viperjohn xt is in his sig. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I bought a CPU from Sativaman85..Ill ask him how he likes the card:)

Ok the card is DONE.. shipping it back to me today..Ill let you know how it performs if anyone cares :) ..

how much did it cost total? could you break down all the costs?

and yes im very interested on how it performs. what clocks was he able to reach on it?

Shameless Liar said:
Make sure to take pictures too.
Oh I will :)

I have before pics already.....Ill post them with the after pics when I get it back..

pandora's box said:
how much did it cost total? could you break down all the costs?

and yes im very interested on how it performs. what clocks was he able to reach on it?

I was quoted about $235.00...but there were a few problems..

This card was previously modded by what could only be describes as a butcher :)

The previous mod "attempt" left much to be desired :)

I really expected to pay WAY more after I found out about the problems..But it was only $20.00 more ..

I went for the whole 9 yards....he has cheaper options....
Repair Card Trace and Replace
Missing R1592 1.5k ohm SMR = 12.00
Acetone Pressure Wash and Bake = 9.00
Sub Total = 21.00

x800 Air Cool Base Kit = 99.95
Turbo Magnum-II Cooler = 19.95
Active Memory Cooler = 11.95
MSTIM EpoxyLess System = 9.95
R/T GPU Temp Readout = 22.95
Air Cool Install/Test/OC Labor = 52.00
Sub Total = 237.75

Card Return Ship = 10.50
$600 Return Ship Insurance = 7.20
Total = 255.45

For $200 I don't see the purpose of doing something like this unless you have 2X7800GTX and you want something faster. :D

Shmuckety said:
For $200 I don't see the purpose of doing something like this unless you have 2X7800GTX and you want something faster. :D

I did it because I can...thats all....
I said in an earlier post I probaly could have sold this card, and taken the money plus the cost of the mods and bought a better card....but hey. Its only money.... I got enough, I like to play...:)

hmmm.... Most of that price is for the cooler. I am planning to buy my own waterblock for my 7800GTX. So how much do you think it would cost me if I didn't want to buy a separate cooler from him?

Russ said:
hmmm.... Most of that price is for the cooler. I am planning to buy my own waterblock for my 7800GTX. So how much do you think it would cost me if I didn't want to buy a separate cooler from him?
You can get him @ JohnHillig AT Earthlink dot net

He is very nice to talk to and will give you any info you need....

tell him Cross sent ya..maybe Il get a break when I get my 850 done :)

damstr said:
i wonder what speeds he got that 7800GTX too :eek:

viperjohn did a 7800gtx bfg card over at ocforums and he got 600mhz core and 1498 mem ram .. he said the core was very good .. mem was average in terms of overclocking .. this was volt modded .. the whole works .. and it sees a max load temp of 55c looping nature demo in 3dmark 03 for 12 hours

jetjaguar said:
viperjohn did a 7800gtx bfg card over at ocforums and he got 600mhz core and 1498 mem ram .. he said the core was very good .. mem was average in terms of overclocking .. this was volt modded .. the whole works .. and it sees a max load temp of 55c looping nature demo in 3dmark 03 for 12 hours

wow. I emailed him today. We'll see what he says.

yeah i was thinking of sending mine to him .. but i dont really like the cooler he uses .. i really like the style of the stasis thermal one coming out soon .. but i doubt it will cool like viperjohns ..

basically it seems that for the works it will cost around 250 dollars

Got the card back yesterday....I been real busy, I didnt even open it yet...
I'll post up some pics on Thursday night or Friday

How very disrespectful of you Crosshairs! :mad:

NOBODY uses Viper John.

Gamers pay him large amounts of cash so that he may grace their graphics cards with his finely honed art.
He is a respected and revered man and to speak of using such a man is tantamount to blasphemy.
He is not some overclocking program or video card bios that can be used.

For shame, Crosshairs.

....right....anyway:rolleyes:

VJ's services might be in high demand soon, as AGP cards get harder to find, and some people would rather beef up their current x850xt for $250 than go pci-e.

I asked him about whether he has any options for two 7800GTXs on air - nada. There's just no room. If I went water he could still fit the RAM sinks and a couple of waterblocks, but I want to stick with air.

jebo_4jc said:
....right....anyway:rolleyes:

VJ's services might be in high demand soon, as AGP cards get harder to find, and some people would rather beef up their current x850xt for $250 than go pci-e.

That was my motivation exactly....I have a pretty stout rig, well it serves me fine anyway :)

I saw no reason to shell out $5-600 or more for a complete upgrade...Im gonna get a few more year out of AGP :)

jebo_4jc said:

Oh, naturally. After all, if you sold THAT card for $250, it's not like you can buy a SLI motherboard ($119) and GeForce 7800GT ($375) for the difference or anything. :rolleyes:

Oh, heck, then sell your OLD mobo for $50 and go out and buy Quake 4 while you are at it.

People seem to think upgrading is more expensive than it really is!

dderidex said:
Oh, naturally. After all, if you sold THAT card for $250, it's not like you can buy a SLI motherboard ($119) and GeForce 7800GT ($375) for the difference or anything. :rolleyes:

Oh, heck, then sell your OLD mobo for $50 and go out and buy Quake 4 while you are at it.

People seem to think upgrading is more expensive than it really is!
Heh you are preaching to the choir. However, you didn't factor in a possible new CPU, in some cases.

FWIW, though, some people are hellbent on grasping onto AGP for dear life. (Not me, AGP is gettin the boot as soon as it makes sense!)

I got my 9500NP that softmodded to 9700 modded by him two years ago. He did an amazing job then at getting my card to around 450mhz core and 350mhz memory (remember this was a 9500NP!). I am now running my X850 XT PE with his custom waterblock and ramsinks at 650/650 with no mods other than the cooling. :)

ViperJohn's Mods are great, and I totally agree w/ Mentok

here are my pics of my x850xt pe back in May.

stockvsvf18co.jpg

stockvsvf28bl.jpg

stockvsvf34vy.jpg

Crosshairs said:
Yeah, I bought a CPU from Sativaman85..Ill ask him how he likes the card:)
its dead through a shipping accident :(

he sold hte card in a system to someone, and it died in transit. artifacts everywhere, even at stock.

lithium726 said:
its dead through a shipping accident :(

he sold hte card in a system to someone, and it died in transit. artifacts everywhere, even at stock.
We need a moment of silence please

mentok1982 said:
How very disrespectful of you Crosshairs! :mad:

NOBODY uses Viper John.

Gamers pay him large amounts of cash so that he may grace their graphics cards with his finely honed art.
He is a respected and revered man and to speak of using such a man is tantamount to blasphemy.
He is not some overclocking program or video card bios that can be used.

For shame, Crosshairs.

yang88she said:
and I totally agree w/ Mentok

Um Ok..I hope your joking .......If not, maybe you both need to get out more :)

soulsaver_8229 said:
stop posting and get some pics d00d!!! :D ;)

soulsaver

LOL Well Im in NJ, where I work, and the Card is in PA where I live.........I'Il have pics up Thursday or Friday at the latest....

Crosshairs said:
LOL Well Im in NJ, where I work, and the Card is in PA where I live.........I'Il have pics up Thursday or Friday at the latest....
no excuses!!! post pics now!!!! :mad: :p

soulsaver

Back